Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft" - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Rob, re: the water tanks on my sabre; they are under each settee. Port and Starboard. So if one were to convert a settee to a dinette, you'd have to pull one of the water tanks and probably some of the cabintry behind. Not worth the effort and loss of water carriage imo.

re: speed. I meant to say that my sabre is no slug. I don't think you would be disappointed in her sailing performance at all. I do tend to shorten sail before some others, but then I think sailing flatter is faster... burying the rail, sailing on her ears may be exhilerating but doesn't get you there faster. That's one reason that I took the 150 genoa off. I can fully deploy the 135 more frequently in our avg. conditions.

I can't really speak to it's performance compared to a CC... maybe next time Chef is passing though NJ/NJ we can race to the statue..from Sandy Hook. ;-)

The build quality is generally excellent, but there are things that I thought Sabre could have done better, that could reveal themselves in older vessels that were not well maintained. In particular, I was surprised at the amount of raw untreated wood..bulkheads etc. My exterior and interior handrails are just screwed into the core and a likely source of any water intrusion. I took them off 3 years ago and dug out old core and re-filled with epoxy. The chainplates penetrate the deck at deck level and if not re-bedded can allow water penetration. On the other hand they did things like install Spartan Seacocks, which imo are almost bulletproof.

While I have not kept up with all the Catalina models, I think they have done a great job responding to the design criteria of the typical modern family cruiser..who desire a little more volume and creature comforts below. I see catalina's everywhere I go on the east coast doing just fine.

Last edited by Tempest; 08-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road

Tempest,
Thanks for clarifying....I must be getting old and need additional explanation
but I've got it now. I really appreciate the added info on wood, handrails, etc...it's just all good to know and note it to look at (to the best of my ability) and for a professional surveyor.
Everyone agrees that these are really great boats and again, thanks for pointing out things I should think about. ie. the table down/access to head.

Funny, never thought of that issue, and as I look at the specs/drawings of boats I'm considering on sailboatdata.com, I realize that MOST of them, with table down, do not have ready access to the midships head. It's not a dealbreaker in anyway, really, but it's funny how you don't realize these things until your underway and it becomes painfully obvious when the table is set for 3 or 4 and someone needs to hit the head.......what a "ha ha" moment! And, why most of us eat in the cockpit anyway...it's usually prettier.
Right now, I'm trying to figure out, should this issue with my P30 be resolved in a timely manner and I start to visit prospective boats, how I do that when so many I see are in New England and Michigan (most of them are!)......
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Old 08-21-2013

Rob, So what I do when I have guests aboard is lower the table but not put the other half up and just set out a buffet "family style" and use 1/2 the table as a buffet table.

Then people serve themselves and sit where they want.. in the cockpit or down below. The chart table is often where I eat too. With the dining table only half out, access to the head is still maintained. So it's not the end of the world. Sometimes one or two of those little folding TV tables is handy to have around too. Stored behind the mast or in the wet locker.
Old 08-21-2013

I'm with you....I was doing that kind of math in my head when you first brought it up. It's definitely not the end of the world by any means.....the construction and other considerations of all "older" boats is really what I'll be focusing on. I must admit, the Tartan 37 still has my eye...it's just so pretty - probably priced out of my reach, but we'll see.
So many nice boats, If this happens, I'm sure I'll be happy with any of the ones we've all discussed, and when I go look at them, I'll focus my discussion on the particulars of the one I'm considering and have folks tell me more on the specific manufacturer/model ....
Best way ahead I think.
I'll also take a few of the folks up (you too) on their sailing offers if I can find time, to get firsthand....but, as smart as that would be, it's probably a scheduling nightmare for all...
Old 08-21-2013

Well Rob, I don't know where in Maryland you are, but I've got two weeks off before the semester starts on Sept 3rd. And I'm sailing everyday. ( except today..there was zero wind, so I took the dinghy out for a spin )

After Sept 3 I only work 3 days a week and will sail until November. So come on up. You're welcome to stay on the boat. I live close to the marina.
Old 08-22-2013

Tempest,
Thanks very much for the offer. We are heading to Maine and Mass for vacation this Saturday and will be back on 06 Sep. I'll check with the Admiral and see if I can sneak up there....and thanks again for the offer..
Rob
Old 08-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Your Sabre is a great boat. Certainly can keep up with our C&C BUT I do carry a 150 and have a K/ cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Rob, re: the water tanks on my sabre; they are

under each settee. Port and Starboard. So if one were to convert a settee to a dinette, you'd have to pull one of the water tanks and probably some of the cabintry behind. Not worth the effort and loss of water carriage imo.

re: speed. I meant to say that my sabre is no slug. I don't think you would be disappointed in her sailing performance at all. I do tend to shorten sail before some others, but then I think sailing flatter is faster... burying the rail, sailing on her ears may be exhilerating but doesn't get you there faster. That's one reason that I took the 150 genoa off. I can fully deploy the 135 more frequently in our avg. conditions.

I can't really speak to it's performance compared to a CC... maybe next time Chef is passing though NJ/NJ we can race to the statue..from Sandy Hook. ;-)

The build quality is generally excellent, but there are things that I thought Sabre could have done better, that could reveal themselves in older vessels that were not well maintained. In particular, I was surprised at the amount of raw untreated wood..bulkheads etc. My exterior and interior handrails are just screwed into the core and a likely source of any water intrusion. I took them off 3 years ago and dug out old core and re-filled with epoxy. The chainplates penetrate the deck at deck level and if not re-bedded can allow water penetration. On the other hand they did things like install Spartan Seacocks, which imo are almost bulletproof.

While I have not kept up with all the Catalina models, I think they have done a great job responding to the design criteria of the typical modern family cruiser..who desire a little more volume and creature comforts below. I see catalina's everywhere I go on the east coast doing just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-19-2013

MODIFIED: (THANKS JIM)
Didn't mean to leave the impression I've necked down to only Pearson's....but looking for some Pearson-related feedback.

I've been away for awhile, vacation and getting back to work has been bustin' my butt..... I'm leaning to staying with Pearson since they are a good quality and price compromise........but still looking and considering many. Still considering Sabre 34 MKI's but price is questionable. Tartan's, love them but, too expensive I think.

. I have my eyes on a couple of Pearson's that may still be too far outside the budget, but that said, input on the following would be a great help.

So, regarding Pearson's.....The 33-2, nice boat. Has a CB on the one I'd be interested in, but note maintenance on CBs, but still like the CB for the draft. Problem: the ones I'm finding are no where local (see cost issues under P-34 next,

P-34 (1983-1986) CB still is my favorite, even if she has a not so great looking rear end.....hey, I like a nice rear on boats and women The boat overall, it just looks bigger, and has such a great cockpit (huge), seems that it would be comfortable when you have folks onboard. It's the "older deckhouse look, not as sleek, but a roomy deck too.

Problem......P-34 CBs are in Michigan and Texas (what I've found)..requires transport to Maryland and that's probably up around $5k or so added to the price, not to mention on site (airplane ride) inspection and survey. P33-2's are not so far, but still have extra costs.

These boats are in the $30's, and with added costs, might be too high for me to make it.

P31-2 has come into the mix a bit more. It's basically, when you look at it's layout, size and specs, a smaller P-34 (1983-86) with a narrower rear end.

Wing keel is only shallow option, fin is 5'8", so it's more than I probably want (would like it, but the draft issue does play big role).

Finding more 31-2's that might be in more affordable ranges.

What's the consensus on the P31-2? with wing keel. Understand they can have wet deck issues, and to look for hull to keel joint issues. Overall, a good boat (it is a Pearson, so I'm thinking yes)? Seen some say the price with 33-2 and 31-2 are close, so go bigger....couldn't agree more, but if I can get a good 31-2 for less, what's the group think

31-2, 33-2, P-34 (1983-1986) owners and experience with these.....chime in alot please!

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by Robcooper0767; 09-20-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Rob,
You might ask that as a new question. I think you'd be more likely to get comments from those owners.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-19-2013

Thanks Jim,