SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft" (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/102474-tartan-s-sabre-pearson-s-c-c-s-catalina-s-chesapeake-draft.html)

Robcooper0767 08-12-2013 04:27 PM

Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

I have a P30 with 5' draft and sometimes that depth can get a bit dicey. Would love to have a Pearson 10M because I like the look and inside layout (head, with toilet and sink vs P30 and P32 layout.
Looking at:
1. P34 with Centerboard? Pros and cons? Can't do the 5'11 full keel. Is this just a P30 on steriods (especially wrt the interior?) (I like the aft head in the 33-2 for room and placement)
2. P33-2 with winged keel or Centerboard.....who's faster? Is hull cored or solid? I thought I read that some were solid, some cored....anyone have details, like year or hull numbers if they switched? Any concerns or problems with cored hulls on Pearsons.
3. C&C (yes, cored) with C/B, shoal, wing. Like the C&C above 30' - 33, 34, 35, 36, 38LF (big boat but no one says it's fast but PHRF is in the mid 130's......Hmmm, better than most I'm looking at). Which C&C's have shallower drafts? I'm going all over the web and it's making my head hurt.
4.Tartan (only Masthead sloops, don't want fractional. 3000 (would like larger), 33 and 34's are nice, 37's are wow!, but......
5.C34 and C36 wings, Centerboarders (I'm looking at so many boats, I think Catalina has centerboarders, maybe it's shoal)
6.Sabres, but price points are high, and, yes, very well built, but kind of old style interior (nicer P30 on steriods)...like the Sabre 34's, but the MkII's with the aft head are Way over my dollar value....but, they have MK1 CB's that are within reach ($).
King for a day would be the Pearson 10M - I just like it, beefy, accessible from wheel (main, traveller, jib/genoa winches......if it only had a different keel!!!!
Want to stay below 40k, would like 30's, would love 20's!
Bottom line: Like the Sparkman and Stephens "look". Sleek, fast looking, nice angles. Not so much on the square boats. But, with the Admiral and a 4 year old, need a good size cockpit, good creature comforts below, want some speed and fun....in other words, where is that PERFECT Boat???!!!laugher.gif
Understand: leaky window gaskets, stanchions that need rebedding, but what are horrible, stay away boats that have major issues, not just maintenance or, hey, they are 20-40 years old....what do we expect!!
Thanks
R

DRFerron 08-12-2013 05:11 PM

Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

At that size, Catalina does not have centerboard boats.

Robcooper0767 08-12-2013 06:17 PM

Thanks, I'm considering the wing keel versions and the 34 and 36 are 5+, but no more than 5'7", so still a big maybe.....I think wings are 3"10 and 4'3 respectively on 34/36...just not sure of performance loss with WK vs Fin.
R

DRFerron 08-12-2013 06:26 PM

Unless you are a naval architect or professional racer, I don't know that there is an appreciable difference in performance between a wing and a fin. We have a fin. I think you should focus more on draft and which draft is better for where you want to boat.

Robcooper0767 08-12-2013 07:06 PM

Agree, but to note: Naval Shipbuilding with AEGIS Cruisers and Destroyers....28 years with Navy...not professional racer at all.
Draft is consideration, but I see so many on Chesapeake with fins (including my 5') that I wonder if I should change Marinas versus sacrifice fin and expand my boat horizons in the 31-36 range? It is a matter of Marina Cost (I have an unbelievable low cost, but noted low tide channel limitations). Thinking of relocating to New Bern or Tideweter VA area from Northern Ches in retirement....if the Admiral agrees (so maybe not!). Or, just change marinas and bite the annual cost bullet.......Less gunkholing with larger boat, deeper draft though. Seems strange that the overall move to wing didn't seem to happen.....is it because of insignificance on these size boats?

DRFerron 08-12-2013 07:18 PM

I guess it comes down to personal choice. We have a 5'3" draft and it hasn't limited us. The only two places so far that might have been on my list of places to visit that we can't because of draft aren't causing us to regret the fin. Too many other places to go.

And if you have a dinghy, it kind of doesn't matter.

Robcooper0767 08-12-2013 07:35 PM

Donna...very good point about the dinghy (but another expense!!), since I'm on a 30 now, I didn't consider a small boat to get in to places if needed.. Since you're in RH, it's a bit deeper than up here in the North...but I like your logic.
Thanks
Rob

DRFerron 08-12-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 (Post 1073037)
... Since you're in RH, it's a bit deeper than up here in the North...Thanks
Rob

One reason (besides loving Rock Hall) why we aren't up north. :)

Dinghy is an added expense, yes, but less expensive than buying a new boat.

chuck53 08-12-2013 08:53 PM

I've got a C34 and a buddy has a C36, both with wings. The two boats have completely different layouts but the difference in size is small. Beam is only an inch difference and overall length is about 1' difference.
Some people prefer the aft head placement of the 34 where others prefer the forward head placement of the 36.

Jeff_H 08-12-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 (Post 1072950)
4.Tartan (only Masthead sloops, don't want fractional.

. But, with the Admiral and a 4 year old, need a good size cockpit, good creature comforts below, want some speed and fun....
Thanks
R

I guess I need to ask, I you are sailing on the Chesapeake with a small crew and a four year old, and you want speed and fun, why are you ruling out fractional rigs?

Jeff