Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013
Stowaway

juliekristine is on a distinguished road
Shipping A Boat

Any thoughts on the process of having a boat shipped (trucked) back to where you live? I'm wondering about possible damage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013

saltydognl is on a distinguished road
Re: Shipping A Boat

Hi, the best and maybe the cheapest option you have is togo on the Truckers Load Auction sites. and post an auction. give as much detail about the boat and if you have a cradle or not. Then drives will make offers to truck your boat wherever you want it. i dont know from where to where you want to go but I did one recently from LA to Northwest Florida andthe cheapest I could get was $5600, you dont have to accept the or any offer. All drivers carry insurance but figure it would also be good to have your own cover.

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 08-17-2013

saltydognl is on a distinguished road

The auctions usually last a week but if I remember you can extend it

Mike
Old 08-17-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Don't forget that you'll only be getting bids for the actual trucking. You'll also need to pay to have the boat hauled out and the prepared for truck transit at one end, and the reverse at the other. This will add $1000-$2000 to the trucking costs, depending on the size of the boat and how easy it is to drop the mast.

As long as the trucking company moving your boat is insured and professional I wouldn't worry about damage. I wouldn't hire one that wasn't.

A friend bought his 27' (33' LOA) cruising boat in Texas and had it shipped up here to Seattle. It saved him a little money over buying the same boat here (Seattle prices are higher than Texas prices) and gave him a wider net of boats to shop from. However it wouldn't have made sense on my similar length boat that is worth less than half as much, shipping my boat that far would cost 25-30% of the boat's value.
Old 08-17-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydognl View Post
All drivers carry insurance but figure it would also be good to have your own cover.

Good Luck,

Mike
I would be careful in making that statement. Although the fellow that moved my camper "said" he had insurance for the item he was towing. He did not. Costly mistake on my part.

I would ask for a copy of what he has, it may only cover loss to his gear, not the towed stuff.
Old 08-19-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Be aware that many of the companies advertising as boat haulers are brokers who subcontract the work to truckers within their network. This makes it more complicated regarding accountability, insurance, and experience. The broker is going to give it to the guy who will do it for the least money. Not the trucker with the most experience, right equipment etc.
Old 08-19-2013

CHM is on a distinguished road

Where is your boat now and what is the final destination? What is the length? It might be cheaper to have it delivered by a captain for hire if not going cross country.
Old 08-19-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekristine View Post
Any thoughts on the process of having a boat shipped (trucked) back to where you live? I'm wondering about possible damage.
In 2011 I had my newly purchased 36' Catalina hauled from Annapolis area to Wisconsin by the best company I could find. They did a great job, used a $100,000 trailer designed specially to move boats, and did a flawless job from loading to launching, including stepping the mast. Cost was $7000.

The same spring another fellow got a 36' Catalina and found a cheap hauler on a similar route, probably around $3000 and that was only flatbed transport. Loading and unloading were extra. The driver fell asleep, drove onto the shoulder of the highway, boat fell off and was a total loss.

You make choices and take chances any way you do it.

BTW: The company I used was difficult to schedule. They have such a reputation that they have a big repeat business with wealthy clients who have their boats moved north in the spring and south in the fall. Their repeat customers keep them pretty busy.

GTJ
Old 08-19-2013

remetau is on a distinguished road

Here is an account of our experience:

Schedule for Shipping a Ship

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

About 4 or 5 years ago I purchased a sailboat in Massachusetts and had it trucked down to Annapolis, Maryland. Move went incredibly smoothly and I was very impressed with the professionalism of the trucker.

My strategy was to call the receiving yacht yard (it's a pretty big yard) in Annapolis and ask for recommendations. They gave me names of movers that had delivered boats to their yard and had done a good job. I contacted those movers, got quotes, and picked the one I thought would do the best job for a reasonable price.

I cared much more about getting my boat moved on time and without damage, than I did about saving a few $. However, in the end I do not think I could have saved much anyway by going with a different mover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD