SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Suggestions for a stiff boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/10265-suggestions-stiff-boat.html)

newuser 08-16-2004 06:34 AM

Suggestions for a stiff boat

We are looking for some suggestions on buying a new boat. Our experience level would probably fall somewhere around the intermediate level. The use of the boat would be east coast sailing with much of that being Florida and the gulf so shoal draft or centerboards would be important. We would be living aboard at least 6-9 months of the year. Our budget would be around $150,000 maximum. Now for the deal breaker, my partner has a maximum tolerance of about 12 degrees of heeling. Beyond that it becomes very uncomfortable for her. This is an issue that we are working on however our search is to look at the stiffest boats possible that would come the closest to our other needs. I realize that keeping her flat will not always be possible but in an effort towards compromise I am looking for suggestions. We have discussed catamarans and will most likely look in that direction but I am more comfortable with the idea of a monohull. Getting a new sailing partner is not an option. :-) Thanks for the help.

mikehoyt 08-18-2004 07:01 AM

Why not consider a Catamaran or Trimaran?

Tom3 08-23-2004 06:11 PM

I have a Quoddy Pilot sloop that is very stiff. Cannel Paige and Paine have a Ketch version of the same boat on thier web site, it may be called an Eastport Pinky. I am not suggesting you buy it one but it does fit your requirement for stiffness. Some Catboat designs are stiff as well, you might give them a look too.

There are a number of traditional designs that are stiff. Also gaff or lug rigs will put less healing arm on your boat and you should look closely at the advantage they provide to some one who does not want to heel.

Look at them and read up on the subject, Ted Brewer has written some interesting material on comfort and the MacNaughton Group has good material on thier web site. In design terms you are looking for a boat with high initial stability. Of course multihulls have the highest initial stability of all and if its really important you should give them a close look.

tidewaterv 07-18-2013 07:39 PM

Re: Suggestions for a stiff boat

multi hull is nice until you want to find a dock...also the usual increase in dock fees because of beam...if you have right siized sails especially headsail & perhaps negative roach main healing is probably not issue...good furling system could also help to control area of head sail when wind pipes up...a# of c&cs hughes columbias have well ballasted shoal draft keels healing can be kept to a minimum of 10 to 12 degrees

T37Chef 07-18-2013 07:51 PM

there's always Trawlers :) j/k

RainDog 07-18-2013 08:46 PM

Just speculating based on very little knowledge here, but......

You will get a lot of stiffness in at least two ways: form stability and a large righting moment.

Form stability requires a wide flat bottom. Luckily for you, most modern production monohulls have exactly this. Especially the shoal draft boats.

A large righting moment a low heel angles would come from a canting keel, water ballast, or a deep keel with a heavy weight on the end. Probably none of these are that practical for you.

With a modern flat bottom boat, I would think you could quite easily stay at < 12% in most cruising situations with a little practice.

I would look for a boat with flat aft sections and a high ballast/weight ratio.

bobmcgov 07-18-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 1061451)
Just speculating based on very little knowledge here, but......

You will get a lot of stiffness in at least two ways: form stability and a large righting moment.

Form stability requires a wide flat bottom. Luckily for you, most modern production monohulls have exactly this. Especially the shoal draft boats.

A large righting moment a low heel angles would come from a canting keel, water ballast, or a deep keel with a heavy weight on the end. Probably none of these are that practical for you.

With a modern flat bottom boat, I would think you could quite easily stay at < 12% in most cruising situations with a little practice.

I would look for a boat with flat aft sections and a high ballast/weight ratio.

There ya go! Late model Class 40 or IMOCA 60. Awesome form stability, ballast ratios over 40%, outboard water ballast tanks, and deep-reefing ability to depower in thunderstorms ... or the Southern Ocean. And the canting keel makes them perfect for Florida's skinny waters! Might have trouble meeting the budget, tho.;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NhRgrRx2ob...ca3-745940.jpg

urbanhermit 07-19-2013 01:14 AM

If your boat is still stiff after 4 hours of sailing, you are supposed to call your doctor or a surveyor you really trust.

chucklesR 07-19-2013 07:24 AM

Try Gemini 105 catamarans, 5- 10 years old should be in your price range and there are dozens if not hundreds in florida.
In 7 years of owning and sailing one I never went over 10 degrees of heel, but did top hull speed several times.

manatee 07-19-2013 08:06 AM

Take a look at 'Ibis' here:
Parker Marine

* I have no connection with Mr. Parker other than admiring his designs and enjoying his books.