Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004

newuser is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for a stiff boat

We are looking for some suggestions on buying a new boat. Our experience level would probably fall somewhere around the intermediate level. The use of the boat would be east coast sailing with much of that being Florida and the gulf so shoal draft or centerboards would be important. We would be living aboard at least 6-9 months of the year. Our budget would be around $150,000 maximum. Now for the deal breaker, my partner has a maximum tolerance of about 12 degrees of heeling. Beyond that it becomes very uncomfortable for her. This is an issue that we are working on however our search is to look at the stiffest boats possible that would come the closest to our other needs. I realize that keeping her flat will not always be possible but in an effort towards compromise I am looking for suggestions. We have discussed catamarans and will most likely look in that direction but I am more comfortable with the idea of a monohull. Getting a new sailing partner is not an option. :-) Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

Why not consider a Catamaran or Trimaran?
Old 08-23-2004

Tom3 is on a distinguished road

I have a Quoddy Pilot sloop that is very stiff. Cannel Paige and Paine have a Ketch version of the same boat on thier web site, it may be called an Eastport Pinky. I am not suggesting you buy it one but it does fit your requirement for stiffness. Some Catboat designs are stiff as well, you might give them a look too.

There are a number of traditional designs that are stiff. Also gaff or lug rigs will put less healing arm on your boat and you should look closely at the advantage they provide to some one who does not want to heel.

Look at them and read up on the subject, Ted Brewer has written some interesting material on comfort and the MacNaughton Group has good material on thier web site. In design terms you are looking for a boat with high initial stability. Of course multihulls have the highest initial stability of all and if its really important you should give them a close look.
Old 07-18-2013

tidewaterv is on a distinguished road
Re: Suggestions for a stiff boat

multi hull is nice until you want to find a dock...also the usual increase in dock fees because of beam...if you have right siized sails especially headsail & perhaps negative roach main healing is probably not issue...good furling system could also help to control area of head sail when wind pipes up...a# of c&cs hughes columbias have well ballasted shoal draft keels healing can be kept to a minimum of 10 to 12 degrees
Old 07-18-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

there's always Trawlers j/k

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Just speculating based on very little knowledge here, but......

You will get a lot of stiffness in at least two ways: form stability and a large righting moment.

Form stability requires a wide flat bottom. Luckily for you, most modern production monohulls have exactly this. Especially the shoal draft boats.

A large righting moment a low heel angles would come from a canting keel, water ballast, or a deep keel with a heavy weight on the end. Probably none of these are that practical for you.

With a modern flat bottom boat, I would think you could quite easily stay at < 12% in most cruising situations with a little practice.

I would look for a boat with flat aft sections and a high ballast/weight ratio.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-19-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Just speculating based on very little knowledge here, but......

You will get a lot of stiffness in at least two ways: form stability and a large righting moment.

Form stability requires a wide flat bottom. Luckily for you, most modern production monohulls have exactly this. Especially the shoal draft boats.

A large righting moment a low heel angles would come from a canting keel, water ballast, or a deep keel with a heavy weight on the end. Probably none of these are that practical for you.

With a modern flat bottom boat, I would think you could quite easily stay at < 12% in most cruising situations with a little practice.

I would look for a boat with flat aft sections and a high ballast/weight ratio.
There ya go! Late model Class 40 or IMOCA 60. Awesome form stability, ballast ratios over 40%, outboard water ballast tanks, and deep-reefing ability to depower in thunderstorms ... or the Southern Ocean. And the canting keel makes them perfect for Florida's skinny waters! Might have trouble meeting the budget, tho.

Old 07-19-2013

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road

If your boat is still stiff after 4 hours of sailing, you are supposed to call your doctor or a surveyor you really trust.
Old 07-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Try Gemini 105 catamarans, 5- 10 years old should be in your price range and there are dozens if not hundreds in florida.
In 7 years of owning and sailing one I never went over 10 degrees of heel, but did top hull speed several times.
Old 07-19-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Take a look at 'Ibis' here:
Parker Marine

* I have no connection with Mr. Parker other than admiring his designs and enjoying his books.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.