Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008
Wanabe Liveaboard/cruiser

CapnJake is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jeff for the bit of the history I understood.... I have never been a racer so do not understand the initials and terminology...sorry... Some of the things I read about the boat talked loudly about it's love of "big water".... and I don't know about the Fastnet Disaster....sorry again... I would like to know about "disposable boats". There are many things I am a true neophyte about....I have quite a bit of experience with much larger commercial power vessels, but new to sailboats other than a few small stick and rag boats and a nice sharpie I enjoyed a while... Thanks Again,

Jake

Last edited by CapnJake; 05-16-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2008

nalplvr is on a distinguished road
Talking mm30

not even close, My mm30 is very seaworthy.not designed by creekmore. Perry was the designer. Ask Chuck Moore about this boat. I love it and could live on it. beam 10.5. 6500 lbs disp.
cost in 79 was 28000. not a cheap boat.
Old 11-13-2008

corrrection Peter Canning at last check
Old 11-13-2008
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Wink Metalmast

Jeff,
Is this the Metalmast Marine Co. from CT that also built the 40' Block Island?
That is a nice boat if it was the Bill Tripp designed ketch. It resembles more of a
nice cruiser than a notable racer. Is the Block Is. a very average or better than average sailboat?
Why then is their 30 ft. IOR such an average sailboat?

Randy
S/V Doodles
C&C 27
Old 11-13-2008

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Metalmast 30

Hi Me,

We raced against a very well sailed one of these on Lake Michigan for many years. In terms of performance and sailplan it sails very much like a J30 and is very good in light air. I cannot comment on the construction quality but the one we know of was raced hard both around the cans and point to point and seemed no worse for wear. If I were going cruising in one perhaps you might want to consider the sailplan some. Of course your idea about the roller furler is spot on, but such an easily driven boat, without a race crew on board for added righting moment may not require such a large headsail. I'd consider 110% or so as the big main on this fractional rig is where most of the power comes from. The boat we raced against had a bolt rope main with a very large maximum roach. If the mainsail on your new boat is one of these, and in good shape, I'd consider making it flatter and with less roach and adding a Tides Marine Strong track and cars so that the luff can be captured in the mast, as well as to assist with sail handling in general. I'd also consider a full batten arrangement. The runners on this boat are necessary to provide headstay tension as the spreadersare not swept back. I'd also consider swapping those out for some Amsteel soft ones versus the stainless steel it probably now has.

Good luck!

121 Guy
Old 12-03-2008

Metalmast is on a distinguished road
Metalmast 30 Facts

Metalmast 30
I've owned one for 16 years, number 14
Built in Putnam CT by Metalmast Marine (still in business I think, making spars)
Designer - Peter Canning - lived in CT
Balsa Cored Deck, Foam Cored Haul. Construction very good.
You will not break a MM30, weight 7500lbs, 3000lb keel
It was built has a masthead or fractional 7/8 (mostly fractionals)
I rate 147, I have had my rate changed twice, started at 162.
Has 6 foot headroom, nice cabin, great cockpit, tiller steering, wide flat decks
Good light air boat.
Fun to sail
Old 12-03-2008

Thanks Metalmast....
You have in one paragraph given me more info about my boat then all others combined.... Thank You very much.... mine is #5 and has seen better days, but still a very capable boat. Please contact me if you have a chance... they won't let me post my email.... but I do appreciate your post... Thanks again,

Jake
Old 12-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Neither of you can PM until you have 10 posts. I also don't recommend posting an e-mail address in machine readable form on a public forum. If you want to post an email address use the format:

johndoe {at} spamme {dot} com

Also, highly recommend you both read the POST in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-03-2008

Thanks to you as well Mr. Dog... Maybe try Jacob at happybeachbum dot com and see if that will work... I get to learn new things all the time.... **:-)

Jake
Metalmast 30 #5
Old 06-14-2009

Peter Canning designed this boat and as for the phrf no. It has been changed.THis boat is very solid and very seaworthy. Dont really know what you mean by half tonner. Mine has 3100 lbs of ballast and weighs 3 and a quarter tons.Mine is a 79.It apparently hit a bridge and was dismasted in Fla. I have replaced Mast ,Boom,Running Rigging And new sails. Thats just the major stuff. I am not racing tho. Just having a blast. The most wind I have been out in was just 25 knots. Full Sails with full control.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.