Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004

me262 is on a distinguished road
Metalmast 30

Anyone know anything about the suitablility of a Metalmast 30 for cruising? I think there were only about 20 (?) made. They had balsa cored decks and an airex (foam?) cored hull. Supposedly well made, but can''t seem to find any info on them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2004

waltward is on a distinguished road
Metalmast 30

Hi Me

I Googled the Metalmast 30, Google told me to go to Sailnet and look in "Boat Check". You will find Boat Check in the list on the left hand side of the page along with the rest of the stuff Sailnet has to offer us. We both learned something. There is just one owner in Boat check that talks about his Metalmast 30, but at least it might be a start. You might be able to get to other onwers by plowing your way through what Google has to offer.
I clicked on "M" to bring up boats starting with M,in Boat Check, and found him there.

Walt
Old 08-17-2004

me262 is on a distinguished road
Metalmast 30

Thanks! Yeah, I know there is one on ''boat check'' and there is also one for sale on yachtworld, but they really don''t give me any REAL info on this boat. Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2004

39512 is on a distinguished road
Metalmast 30

Ralph DiMattia of DiMattia Sails in Quincy, Ma owned a Metalmast 30 and raced it for a number of years. You might give him a call. 617.328.1100.
Old 07-13-2007

nalplvr is on a distinguished road
Any questions on the metalmast can be directed at this owner. Has galley ,head,etc. sleeps 5. mine was refitted with yanmar gm20f. Love this boat.May go up the mast tomorrow as running backstay popped out. Need a gibb tang plug.
Old 07-13-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
PHRF cheater.... if that's what you want =(
Old 07-13-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
How are they a PHRF cheater?
Old 07-14-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97
How are they a PHRF cheater?
It's a well known PHRF racer with what many consider a "gift" rating. There are entire threads on other boards about PHRF racers with easy ratings and this boat is always at the top of the list.
Old 05-15-2008
Wanabe Liveaboard/cruiser

CapnJake is on a distinguished road
Red face Metalmast 30...hull 005 '78..

I just got my Metalmast 30 a few days ago... I sort of "stole" it I think... less than 2k.. but the yanmar is trashed... am going to put an electric in it... since I DON'T race, am also putting roller furling 130 as headsail for better single-handing. Want to be able to live aboard for 7 or 8 months out of the year and hope to cruise to Guatemala for hurricane season after next...(won't be ready to get there before this comming one starts and don't want to be someplace in the middle during it). So with all of those plans, I really hope it will make a good cruiser/liveaboard. I have water tank and "maker" from another boat. Any and all ideas and suggestions are not only welcome but appreciated.... I look forward to hearing from one and all...
Old 05-15-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The Metalmast 30 was a Lee Creekmore designed IOR 1/2 tonner. They were pretty poorly built during a portion of the IOR where the rule was changing frequently and the boats were seen as disposable. It was an era where ballast ratios was dropping leading to the Fastnet Disaster. Unless really clean, updated and well equipped, IOR Half tonners of that era have very small values, moderately clean ones typically sell for somewhere down around $5-10K (look at comparable boats Chaser 30's, San Juan 28's)

The reason that these boats have such cheap prices is that they are extremely difficult to race competitively under PHRF and they they make poor cruisers since they have such poor seaworthiness and their intollerence for carrying any excess weight. They are not bad daysailors and as liveaboard have lots of room at least horizontally, with not all that great headroom.

Good luck,
Jeff