Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004

baober is on a distinguished road
charter renting vs. buying

I''m in the process of taking some cruiser courses and thinking about buying a boat.

Seems to me unless you want to really live on the boat or are retired it''s probably better and cheaper to rent / charter ?

Calculating the cost of the boat seems you need to add the sales tax 8500 on a 100k boat in california, and the outfitting cost 10k probably.

If I rent once a month for 2 days it seems like I would be better off renting.
Even though emotinally it would be nice to own a boat, but probably not practical.

Thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2004

garrettav8or is on a distinguished road

I agree, renting/chartering is probably cost effective if you only sail a day or two a month. The more often you sail, the more you will lower you costs per day/hr....

I own a plane for pleasure flying and just bought an older C22. Owning is more than just $$$..it is comraderie, passion, etc.

When I rented, I rarely, if ever ''hung around'' the marina or airports. As an owner, I ''belong'' there.

Sitting at the marina, or at my planes hangar when not flying or sailing is as beneficial as actually going out and doing the flying/sailing. People network, stop by, chat, sip a cool coke...etc...

If you can afford it, buy it. If you can''t that is a different story.

If you are worried about the $$$, then sit home, give up your interests, and don''t spend any $$$$!

Me? I''ll spend it til I don''t have it or can''t do it. Then I will sit home and remember all my good times!

Just my .02

Garrett
Old 08-19-2004

Valdare is on a distinguished road

Don''t know where in California you are but Modern sailing has what seems to be a great sail club. get alot of the benifits of owning (as mentioned by baober), but only pay for what you use. Great training courses also. I my self am in the great lakes but subscribe to their new letter. Wish we had something like what they offer here.

modernsailing.com

Good Luck,

John _/) _/) _/)
Old 08-19-2004
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

It would be dumb to buy a boat and then use it only two days a month.

HOWEVER most folks who getting into sailing, decide they can''t get enough of it, I''m not sure I know anyone who sails, who is happy with two days a month. So it seems an unlikely scenario, more likely is ending up sailing most days when you aren''t working, or none at all...

First case, buy a boat, second case, don''t...

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2004

Sailmc is on a distinguished road

Look around the average Marina. 80% of the boats get used that little or less.
Old 08-23-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road

I recently retired and purchased my "own" boat about 7 months before. When working I never had enough time to sail & maintain the boat & I had about 15 days a month off. From a practical point of view chartering is much better financially and a great way to sail a lot of different boats. Emotionally there is nothing like your own boat, instead of worrying about it, I know when the raw water hoses & impellor were replaced. You know your boat inside out and if something fails you also know exactly who''s responsible. I try to figure on a day of maintenance/repair/ replacement for every 2 days on the water. Sailmc is correct regarding the limited usage most boats seem to get. There are some in my marina that I swear haven''t moved in a year. Been retired for 3 months and still don''t have as much time for the boat as I want.
Old 08-24-2004

maxcontax is on a distinguished road

Own or Charter: It took me over 10 years to actally get to the ownership stage, chartering makes more sense if sailing is a part of your life but not the main focus. I can pass on what my father-in-law told me: "be careful what you own, because first you own it, and then it owns you." My time, money and friends are all rotating around my sailboats now. I think it''s great, but it is a commitment you need to make, for ownership to be a happier state than charter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.