Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailable projects?

Finding a location to store a propane tank on a 22' boat is difficult. Your only option is probably the stern pulpit railing, which will likely already have your swim ladder on one side and access to the outboard on the other side. 22' boats are pretty small and you want to keep things really simple to make best use of the space.

You also need to add a fuel shutoff solenoid and sniffer. It is an expensive system when a simple unpressurized alcohol stove (Origo or one of the knock offs) works so well.

The danger with doing propane incorrectly (just using a camp stove in the boat for instance) is that propane is heavier than air and will collect in the bilge. You'll probably have a bilge pump there and when that turns on explosions can happen.

I live in Seattle (where 80F is hot and 40F is cold) and have never considered a cooling system on a boat, so I have no advice or experience there.
Old 08-27-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

I replied (below) in another thread whose theme was similar to this thread...

Greenhorn that I am, I just spent 2+ years refitting a 28-footer I bought at an auto salvage auction for $1,200. Now, approximately 300 hours of (fun) work and $6,000 later I have a boat that I know every inch of, with all-new electrics, plumbing, standing rigging, sails, barrier coat, exterior wood, etc.

Now it is in the water. While I love to sail and spend time on the boat, time will tell if the next 2 years will be as fun as the past two. The point being that, for some, boats aren't just for sailing. Buying a tired 45-year-old boat and bringing it back to life has been very rewarding; just like guys who spend way more time restoring cars than driving them.

So my advice is to define what appeals to you about owning a boat... working on it, sailing it or a little of both. Those answers will lead you to a good choice. That said, I would never recommend restoring a neglected boat to one who really just wants to sail. While I now have a very sound boat with only $6,000 or so invested, it would not likely fetch very much more if sold.

There are many good, ready-to-go boats at good prices out there so choose the path that will yield the most satisfaction.

PS: While refitting the keelboat, I had a trailer-sailor so was not entirely out of the water. That was important.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

Alex: Thanks for the info, I'm from Washington too and can see how one wouldn't need a refrigerator on a boat, but I live in Florida now and like my beer cold Coolers and ice boxes only stay cold for a day or so here. I guess the answer is to beef up the electrical system to allow for battery charging either from the outboard or solar panels. I understand some 12v/110ac reefers are made which have a pretty low draw.

hriehl: sailing and working both appeal to me, but I will almost certainly be buying a boat in the water and keeping it there as I don't plan to buy a truck also! Thats why I'm really focused on the hull and deck being solid, so I can limit my haul out time and expenses.

Appreciate everyone's advice, if I had the cash today and was to buy one of the boats I listed the Catalina seems like a much better choice as it is all there, just tired.
Old 08-27-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Coolers vary a lot boat to boat too. On my Catalina 25 the cooler would keep ice solid for a day or maybe two (reports from similar boats are that only 2 sides are insulated), on my Pearson it'll keep the same ice solid for 5 or more days. This is in days with 80 degree highs, 60s in the evening.

Most of the 12v fridges when installed into a good smaller cooler seem like they need about 25ah of power per day. That means a pair of group 24 batteries last roughly 3 days, or somewhere around 100-150 watts of solar panels can keep up with the daily draw.

Whenever I price it out I decide that ice isn't much of a hassle and a lot less expensive.
Old 08-27-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

Another thing to keep in mind about project boats is it is often impossible to work on them while using them. Not only is it time consuming to fix up a boat, it is expensive if you also have to pay to store it.

Sadly, it is rare for a cosmeticly challenged boat not to have major problems lurking under the surface.

When I got my 40 yr old boat it was sound and safe, but had had no updates in years. The sails were old, cooktop and other systems out dated, but it could be sailed and cruised using camping gear. This allowed me to use the boat while slowly doing smaller projects and updates over a few years.

Tags
first boat , fixer upper , refit