SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Macwester 30 Wight MK1

12K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  sailskipper 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there everyone,

I am new to this forum but really hope to learn a lot more here. I am looking to buy a used vessel around 30' which is worthy enough for some carribean passages. I am currently in Ontario, Canada and want the freedom of sailing anywhere in the World.

I recently came across the MacWester 30 Wight MK1, and have been having a very hard time finding info about it. It's a triple keel Ketch. The idea of a ketch really appeals to me as it give you a seperate cabin aft of the cockpit. And triple keels seem amazing as they allow you to leave your boat in a tide and have it stand as it goes out :)

Also, the idea that it's made for the rough North Sea must say something about it

Would love some input though, thoughts, opinions or anything :)

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
That boat is an intriguing boat, but it needs a lot of work. All of the systems are worn, and much maintenance has been deferred. the entry cost is pretty low, but it's due for new sails, new running rigging, and the standing rig should be inspected. The Leyland diesle engine is obsolete, and the condition is unknown. For daysailing and occasional overnighting on the Great lakes, it might be worth the gamble, but for a run south there are better choices, although at a higher initial price point, that provide better value.

#4 ·
I'm Just outside St. Kitts. Moved here a few months ago and have had the sailboat obsession in the head the past few years.

I definitely don't mind a boat that requires work. In fact, the idea of less up-front, and working on it for the next year or 2 to make it ready for everything is fine. As long as it is actually worth it haha

But the input is invaluable. Love the help :)

#8 ·
I have been intrigued by that Mac for a while, and more intrigued by how the price keeps coming down. It's now nearly at the point where it is tempting, but i could see years and thousands of dollars chasing one project after another, and still have a boat that is worth very very little. It is a hard sell- a slow, relatively cramped boat with obsolete systems in need of everything. The layout is also a little unfriendly- essentially two single bunks in the v-berth, and two in the aft cabin, and a dinette.

#11 ·
When you said were always in need of crew, what'd you have in mind? I haven't been sailing in a few years, but have my Bronze 4 from a few years ago. And I've never sailed anything big.

My partner who is joining me in this eventual sailboat adventure has never actually been sailing

#16 ·
Had a MacWester 28 that I restored and refitted. She handled weather better than some forty footers I've sailed on. Didn't go too weather that well, but so much room and so solid in a big sea. Wonderful, well made boats. If you're around deltas or big tidal areas, it's fun to come to rest in the mud when the water goes. Mine was a twin keel. Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.