Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2004

Fishboat is on a distinguished road
24-27 feet good to learn on, suggested boats

There''s been alot of discussion over the months/years about novice sailors interested in buying a larger boat to first learn to sail (better) on a smaller boat, typically in the 24-27 foot range.

This advise makes alot of sense, but what are good candidate boats in this 24-27 foot range?

Criteria would be:
>a keelboat

>responsive enough to allow one to learn...easy enough to sail for a beginner, but able enough to allow learn some more advanced techniques

>reasonably inexpensive (<$25-$30K), less is better if the boat could be found in good condition, $10K-$15K would be even more interesting

>good daysailor with optional, basic weekending

>good reputation & easy to resell when the "training" is sufficient (1-2 years?)

>fractional rig would be nice

A Colgate 26 seems to fit this description on the higher$$ end. Are there others in the same price range or lower?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2004

Busdrver is on a distinguished road

We''re brand new sailors and we bought a Cal25 to learn on. I THINK it was a pretty good choice. Although in hindsight I think maybe a smaller daysailer would have been better to learn on. But if you want to go to the 24-27 ft range the Cal would be a pretty good choice in my inexperienced opinion. We got ours for $6K. It''s not in top notch shape but I''m learning about boat maintenance and upkeep, along with sailing, in a BIG hurry. A bonus. (I think)
Old 08-22-2004

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

First off, learning on a centerboarder, less than 20 feet, is probably the best way to learn to sail. Once you can handle those boats, big boats are easy.

Secondly, if one wants more than a center boarder day sailor, I have found the Catalina 27 to be ideal. I have said this so often on this forum one must think I work for Catalina. I have never owned one of these boats, but have cruised aboard them. They sail well, have a lot of room below, and can be bought at a very reasonable price.

There certainly are many smaller boats - like the Cal 25 - that are very good, and even better, but the Catalina 27 continues to be a much used and popular boat. This is something to consider because if one continues to sail, one will want to go bigger and a C 27, properly priced, will sell.
Old 08-22-2004

JJV is on a distinguished road

I have a 1971 Cal 25. It was the best 4k I''ve ever spent. I have sailed many differant boats in the 20-30ft range. Nothing compares. visit www.cal25.com follow links to the pages that discuss common problems to avoid buying a lemon. Good luck
Old 08-24-2004

Fishboat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into the Cal 25''s & 27''s, Catalina 27, & lately at the C&C 27...they all seem to fit into the size/price range and would probably be OK for what I have in mind(naturally, condition & upgrades will be the make or break on any one of them). I like the looks & numbers of the C&C 27 & hope to look at one in the next week.

Jeff,
You''ve mentioned many times about cutting your sailing teeth on smaller boats...any suggestions? I''m guessing there is a good number of boats that are possibles that haven''t been mentioned.

Old 08-27-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road

How about an O''Day 25 (centerboard) or Catalina 25 (fixed keel not swing keel) Morgan 24 (older but you can find some good ones) The Colgate 26 is a nice daysailor and great to learn on but very spartan if you want to weekend on it (I''d tell you to look for an Ensign but they are spartan below as well)
Old 11-13-2004

miyagi is on a distinguished road

BIG BIG fan of the inexpensive easy to sell again Tanzer 22. Huge cockpit for day sailing minimal but do-able weekending. Spent three days with GF and black Lab on ours... of course then I bought a bigger boat..... Great day sailer tho.