SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Live-a-board to Bluewater: Cal 345 vs

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Donna_F 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've been sailing for about four years now. I've owned a US YACHT 27 which was totalled in an onland accident and recently bought a Catalina 27 so I could practice repairs and upgrades on an affordable scale without much consequence if I screw up.

I intend to live on board for 3-5 years (I have a contract that ends in three years). Afterward I will be sailing. I'm dreaming of bluewater but have only have around 5,000 miles of coastal experience. I would like to go across oceans. We'll see how my skill set and offshore opportunities develop in the mean time.

Now, I am looking to buy a boat. I have two boats that I am strongly considering. I can't add links yet so I'm giving google search descriptions.

1 - Cal 3-46. It can be checked out on craigslist for the los angeles area.

2 - Yorktown 39. It can e found on sailboat listings in Moss Bay California.

I'm leaning toward the Yorktown for a few reasons. First, it wasn't launched until 2006 and has very little wear and tear. Secondly, it has redundant systems throughout including autopilots, refrigeration, power generation, heating, etc. Thirdly, it's more affordable.

One of my concerns is the value of the boats. I understand that most Yorktown 39s are going for 30k and under. This one is heads and shoulders above the others I've been able to check out. I'll lose more money when I sell the Yorktown vs the CAL. The CAL has a roomier interior and will cost more to maintain, slip, etc. in addition to the initial cost.

Any advice, thoughts or support would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Mike and welcome to SailNet.

I would take out of the equation how much the boat will be devalued. If your intention is to cross oceans, that will put more stress on whatever boat you buy. Some buyers don't consider the fact that it crossed an advantage. They only see how many miles were traveled that added more wear and tear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.