SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Kenner Skipjack or similar (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/103170-kenner-skipjack-similar.html)

Sgumedic 08-31-2013 10:42 PM

Kenner Skipjack or similar

Hi all, I'm looking for a Kenner Skipjack or similar close to the Chesapeake Bay area. I like the look of the open deck. Does anyone have any friends who might have this or similar boat that might want to sell theirs? A project boat is not a problem, but I'd like one with good bones.

Thanks!

124purple 11-06-2013 12:37 PM

Re: Kenner Skipjack or similar

I have a Kenner Skipjack 35 for sale on Chesapeake Bay 804 438 5317

mad_machine 11-07-2013 07:29 PM

What do you think of your's, Purple? I am a big fan of the "workboat ethos" and the Skipjack ticks a lot of boxes for me.

I especially love the extreme shoaldraft with the board up, but still being able to have a livable cabin and deck area. Always wondered how capable something like that is in the ocean, I imagine they pound quite a bit?

124purple 11-08-2013 10:55 AM

I have never sailed in the ocean. The boat is quite adequate for the Chesapeake Bay. I have raced it in 20-25 knot winds Perhaps surprisingly, it does not pound excessively. The boat is not as strongly built as a boat I would feel comfortable on offshore in the Atantic. If everything is in good condition I think it would do fine cruising along the coast. I have read about one crosssing the Atantic some years ago.

Purple

mad_machine 11-13-2013 11:58 PM

I have been reading up on these boats (not a lot of info out there) and there is one for sale in Washington State where the owner says he has gone through several storms in it.

They have a fair amount of ballest too, always a good thing

Sgumedic 01-05-2014 10:48 PM

Just catching up on this site. I actually bought the one from Washington and brought it back to the Bay. Looking forward to getting to work on her. But would love to hear advice from a current owner. Especially since you are local as well.

Fair winds.

sgumedic at hotmail

elungomez 01-08-2015 09:47 AM

I just bought the Skipjack 23 ft.Oysterman built by Menger in 1981. The boat appears to be in great shape but I would love information on how she handles. I live on the coast of North Carolina and sail the sound and coastal waters. Anyone know about this boat?

Halcyon bugeye 05-10-2015 03:00 PM

Elungomez,
You asked about the Oysterman 23. I own one, keep her in Charleston and the surrounding coastal areas. And absolutely LOVE her. With her low freeboard and hard chine, she is not an off shore boat, but she is a beauty for coastal cruising. Mine is the ketch rig and she will sail a straight line in just about any weather. She gets a little tender approaching 15 kts of wind and you better have a double reef in the main for anything thing over that, or just drop the main and go with jib and jigger. But in 8-12kts she will sail herself in a perfectly balanced straight line.
The fiberglass is old school and very strong. The below deck space is surpisingly comfortable for a boat this size and shallow draft.

The drawbacks to this boat are: tender in high winds, definite slowing when the chop is on the nose, and she takes a lot of attention to sail straight down wind. (you can get her wing on wing on wing, but pay close attention to avoid a jibe.) Also because the masts are raked back, the booms tend to center themselves going downwind in less than 8-10 kts.

All in all, I really love the boat. She always draws plenty of compliments and she sails like a dream as long as you are not trying to squeeze high end racing performance out of her. She is a workboat design afterall...