SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   what are the best resources to find used sailboats (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/103226-what-best-resources-find-used-sailboats.html)

grind43 09-02-2013 10:39 AM

what are the best resources to find used sailboats

Can anyone tell me the best resources to find used sailboats. I'm in Florida. Thx

MarkCK 09-02-2013 10:51 AM

what are the best resources to find used sailboats

Sailboatlistings.com

grind43 09-02-2013 11:01 AM

Re: what are the best resources to find used sailboats

Thank you. I look there often but it seems like a lot af the listings have already sold and have not been taken down. Any other suggestions

Rhapsody-NS27 09-02-2013 11:25 AM

The main ones I'm aware of that are updated most frequent are:

Sailboatlistings.com
Craigslist
Sailing Texas
Yacht World

Or you can walk the local marinas and yards to see if there is something not listed online.

grind43 09-02-2013 11:57 AM

Thank you very much. I'll give those a try.

Alex W 09-02-2013 12:01 PM

Around here the only ones worth visiting are Craigslist (pretty much the only option for boats under $20k) and Yacht World (for $20k and up).

Yacht World only represents brokers, and most take a significant cut on boats under $20k, so few people sell less expensive boats through them.

jimgo 09-02-2013 09:15 PM

You're right, many of the SailboatListings are old. However, if you look carefully, you'll see the date posted. Simply sort by the date posted and you'll be able to knock out the stuff that isn't likely to still be for sale. When I was looking, I basically assumed that anything over 2 years old was likely to just be an old ad. If it was a REALLY sweet deal, I still contacted the seller (because you never know...) but it invariably worked out that the boat was sold. Rhapsody hit the big sites that I know of.

chuck53 09-02-2013 09:32 PM

While mostly powerboats, there's a fair number of sailboats listed on boattraderonline.com.

ajoliver 09-02-2013 11:22 PM

Also be sure to check out the class association web sites for the boats that interest you - there you will find VALUABLE info on what to watch out for . .
If you want to actually do some sailing in the next half decade or so, do not buy a "project" boat.
Good luck !!

Shinook 09-03-2013 07:04 AM

Where in FL are you?

I'd also goto local yards and marinas, I see a lot of stuff posted with signs up that you won't see listed anywhere.