Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013

Sharkie is on a distinguished road
The usual to buy or not to buy... Beneteau mid-80s

Hi folks,
After a couple of additions to the family, a severe case of two-foot-ites, and a few years of being a patient, there is finally a candidate on the market for me.

I have my own thoughts & concerns about the boat, but definitely appreciate community input. I've been sailing for all my life, currently have a glorified 24ft day sailer, race lots, built a 30' from hull & deck with a friend when I was 18-20 or so. Needless to say, I feel like I have a good grasp and lot's of experience on boats.

The Beneteau (<30ft)took me 3 hours to go over, I was very thorough... took 135 pictures + 10 pages of notes. It was raining, so I could not use my moisture meter on the deck. I didn't have any "banging implements" with me, so couldn't tap the deck. I did rap on it with my knuckles to see what I could hear. Nothing sounded hollow, but??? I didn't notice any deck flex when walking, but I wasn't specifically looking for it.

The typical & ok:
The usual stuff for her age... dodger, bimini, some lines, a big grungy.
The sails looked ok. (I always see them as consumables anyway.)
Usual wear & tear on cushions, galley, head, running rigging, blocks, traveller, etc.
Some greyish water stains where the water runs off the deck on the after quarter.

The good IMHO:
I think the previous owner was mechanically meticulous.
Documented procedures on the boat.
Spares on board.
Dated engine components such as oil filter change, seals, impeller, right on the engine with a sharpie.
Hoses & attachments looked good. No cracks.
Electronics worked.
Chainplates looked good, no deck cracks.
Overall clean inside.

The bad:
The weather side (stbd) of this boat in the slip is much worst than the lee side.
Stanchion bases... Parallel cracks in gelcoat from stanchion base movement, the deck flexes a bit when the stanchion is pulled on. The base is mostly on the toe rail, extends onto the deck <1". I don't think the bolt holes go through the deck coring. From below, it looks like the coring starts about 1-2" from the edge. So close, but not quite on the core. The port side (non weather) bases are stiffer, and have significantly less cracks.

Windows... Original, never replaced. Definitely leaking for a few years, I couldn't see anything severely affected on the inside, but it's really hard to tell since so much is hidden with headliner.

Headliner... Really droopy/totally unglued in many many places. Not sure if this is normal for this age? Was it likely to be glued all over or just attached along the edges?

Keel bolts & Bilge... Bolts look normal for the age. No signs of grounding or movement from the bolts (radial cracks). Definitely signs of water in the bilge, but when!??! It doesn't look like it came from bolts. It is now dry, looks like it had been dry for a while. Maybe condensation from freezing winters? Or some water at some point from somewhere else in the boat? Cooler drain line? Engine cooling line? Pulling the knot/depth through-hull before haul-out? Underneath the floor boards definitely show humidity staining where they sit on the ribs. Aft of the last rib, section right in from of the engine has been repainted at some point. I don't think it's hiding anything deliberate or major since they didn't paint it all or even try to paint below the non removal floorboards in that area. There are signs of slight water at the corner of the companion way stairs and the top side of the cabin sole.

Engine... It started well, looks clean. Volvo Penta. The transmission is white, engine is green, so I'm not sure if the transmission has been replaced at some point. There were some bilge absorption rags under the engine that looks like they have been there for a while with no sign of significant leaks. There is a bit of pooled oil just aft of the transmission, but it is very clear, I think moreso from a spill when servicing rather than anything else. The exhaust smelled like diesel not oil. If it was a gasoline engine I would say it has a bit of a tick, but not familiar with marine diesel sounds, so not sure if it is normal.

List... There is a list of a few degrees to stbd. The diesel & holding tank & settee locker are all on that side. There is a small inflatable in the locker. I don't know how full the diesel tank is, it's stainless, if full, it'll add 60-70lbs to the almost the widest point & high up just below the deck. The holding tank didn't look that full, but still definitely a few pounds above the waterline on the stbd side. My bigger concern is if there is a significant water absorbed in the deck. This is the weather side and the side with the stanchion base damage. I would have thought though if it had that much water in it to list the boat, the deck would be noticeably springy. The fresh water tank is currently empty below the settee on the port side. But if the proper place for it, could balance out the stbd list. I do find under the settee (and not attached) an odd place for the tank. I wonder if it had a flexible tank in the bilge which leaked (explains water stains & repainting that part of bilge, but the location wouldn't did much for the list).

I know it's along post, but hopefully of value one way or another since deck, bilge, keel, engine often come up a lot. Lot's of pics attached for my areas of concern.

Thanks!
Sharkie
Attached Thumbnails
The usual to buy or not to buy... Beneteau mid-80s-img_3701-copy.jpg   The usual to buy or not to buy... Beneteau mid-80s-img_3739-copy.jpg   The usual to buy or not to buy... Beneteau mid-80s-img_3740-copy.jpg   The usual to buy or not to buy... Beneteau mid-80s-img_3741-copy.jpg   The usual to buy or not to buy... Beneteau mid-80s-img_3744-copy.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: The usual to buy or not to buy... Beneteau mid-80s

Osmosis is a major issue with some Benes from that era. Something to do with the resins used not being up to spec.

I guess is it should have been fixed if it was a problem boat but it would be on my check list.
Old 09-09-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

TY for the pictures. Landlubber longing for the sea. please describe 5 of 5 , who what where when how and why. Those dark discolorations on the bottom eadges look like long time very little leak or condensation. Some day as soon as I can I will be doing this myself. Again TY for the pictures.
Old 09-09-2013

Will need to look at the bottom, to your point for osmosis.... But...
We get off a lot easeir wrt blistering up here in the north where the boats are only in the (fresh) water for 6 months or less per year.

Last survey was done in 2006, it was on board when I looked at the boat. It got a clean bill of health below the waterline. So I suspect, no significant osmosis, if any. The rudder had some higher moisture readings, but was still solid.

Sharkie
Old 09-09-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

You left out the single most important element: the price...

Based on my occasional scanning of boat prices, prices continue to drop and drop and drop so the longer you wait the better you will likely do...

You also did not tell us how old the boat is to judge the condition. What year was she built?

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2013

She was built in 1985. Asking $21,000. Up here/north east/eastern Canada I've been seeing them for typically 20-30k. So this one is on the lower end. I find the ones on the higher end usually have more equipment in terms of electronics, tenders or more recent additions such as new dodgers, biminis, sails, etc.
Old 09-09-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

You could buy a lot more boat in the Chesapeake Bay area for the price.

Here is a C&C MKIII for $24K:

1984 C & C 35 MKIII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

An Ericson 35 for $14.9K: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975...s#.Ui4SdMaTjE0

Here is a C&C 34 listed for $19K:

1979 C&C Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Another Ericson 35 for $16K: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975...s#.Ui4Sq8aTjE0

A C&C 35 II listed for $19K:

1974 C&C MK II Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Prices are dropping like flies. Why buy a soggy boat with problems when you could do so much better, as in bigger, faster, better built? Buy it here and sail it home!
northoceanbeach likes this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2013

There are plenty of boats to be had for sure. I do have LOA/Beam/Draft restrictions at my club and have done my homework over the past few years of knowing what would work for me. Right now, this is a potential boat and a good fit, so community experience of thoughts & feedback is what I seek.
Old 09-09-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

Why is the previous owner selling? That can sometimes be telling.

2006 is almost 10 years ago. At this price, if I knew a good surveyor I would still get one for peace of mind. Mine was worth every penny (I recognize not all surveys are).

The price does seem high for these parts, but every market is different and it's not like it's costless to move a boat.
Old 09-09-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

The Beneteau rudder will never get any drier, only wetter. Speak to a surveyor over this problem. Here in Beneteau country a Jeanneau 48 went from 7kts to 0kts due to the rocks, and needed a three day repair on the rudder only. I always liked Jeanneau.