SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Does this boat look right?

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  harmonic 
#1 ·
Good evening from Australia!:)
My friend is looking into a trailer-sailer, this is the one:
tinyurl . com / qfafpbz

I am concerned that this hull has been drastically modified...I wasn't aware of them having a huge drain in the cockpit, a daggerboard or the stern section being open like this...:confused:

I thought they only came with pivoting centerboards or a small fixed keel.

Other than these small issues it looks to me like a good deal for a beginner and it seems to have a good wardrobe of sails! My friend is going to go and have a look and I will be coming along...but I thought I would ask of any opinions on here first...
Thanks
Alex

#5 ·
YIKES! I wouldn't consider the boat with a hole in the transom. Who knows how much the structure of the hull has been compromised. The trailer might be worth $200 and the sails if in great shape another couple hundred. The boat? Artificial reef material.

Reactions: jimgo
#7 ·
#14 ·
Thanks everyone for the really quick replies:)

Well we are still going to go and have a look at it and I want to speak to the owner and find out what he was intending to do with it!
I think I will have to talk my friend into walking away from it though...

Could they have been trying to modify it for racing? Its a shame to see it like this, I think it would have been a brilliant boat in its original condition.

#15 ·
Oh, and I forgot to mention - even though I thought these came with a pivoting centerboard, the bottom of the trunk looks like it came from the factory...
It does seem stupid for it to come up through the roof like that though, If I had the boat, I would cut the keel where it gets thicker and doesn't go down the trunk, and then put a handle or something on it and it could be raised and lowered inside the cabin....

#16 ·
I'm with 62.

I'm older than dirt. I have been looking at boats for a long time, looking really hard. I don't ever recall seeing an O'Day model that looked like that boat. The hull is right. The deck is odd. It's not awful, it's just not O'Day as I know them.

I'm not saying it is bad but an open transom on a boat that size and type is unusual.

#17 ·
This is not complicated. Launch the boat. Determine that the cockpit drains a you move around and change trim over a reasonable range. If the cockpit drains you should be fine.
I'd do this test with four people on board to be safe. Lots of s,mall p;sort boats have open transoms. Don't look at it like a transom. Look at it like a gigantic scupper.

#18 ·
Its a shame...I want to get my friend into sailing!
For the people with O'day 19's, this is an interesting website:
www(dot)mariner1922(dot)com
and it has all of the models so they can be identified.
This one seems to be a modified mariner 2+2 68' to 71'
I wonder if it floats:D

#21 ·
something to think about my uncle bought a javelin sailing skiff with a cut out stern in it I told him it would sink and it did to much hilarity we were all watching it never had a false floor in it.we salvaged it built the stern back in it and had years of fun in it.Beware of owner mods they dont all work,It should be easy enough to patch the stern up add that into the price though good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.