Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004

halyardz is on a distinguished road
Sabre 386 or Tartan 3700???

When you do head to the Sabre and Tartan lists, you might take into account, as with any such list, there are a group of fans. After all, they bought that brand. Both seem to hold value quite nicely.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2004

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road

The Sabre is a better built boat than the Tartan. Another important consideration is that the Current boat lines built by Fairport Yachts (C&C & Tartan) are not holding value in re-sale. That is the simple truth.

Sabre to this day is built by the same company and is a true excellent quality very well thought-out sailing machine in many respects.

The Tartan 3700 is a very nice looking boat, nice interior and a good sailing boat. If you are going to spend just under $300,000 for a boat, Sabre is where you will be better off. Fairport Yachts is a company I would stay away from as well.

Have you seen the new 434 built by Elan???
Old 10-16-2004

Sludgemaster is on a distinguished road

I hope this is not too late, but their is no comparison. Buy the Sabre. Stay away from any Tartan built by Fairport Yachts. Construction is pathetic. They also bought the C & C name and lawsuits over those boats abound.
Old 10-18-2004
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough

Can you explain in more detail what the problems are with the C&C boats.
Old 10-19-2004

tweetybd is on a distinguished road

In January 2004, I spent two days at the Tartan/C&C plant observing/studying their production methods. With a background in manufacturing and being certified in
Production Management by APICS (and having visited other quality yacht manufacturers like Island Packet and Caliber), I was greatly impressed with the design, equipment selection, attention to detail, and workmanship of the Tartans, from the wetting-out of the fiberglass and vacuum-bagging of the hull to the care with which plumbing, electrical, and woodworking was done, to the final cleanup. The biggest problem I saw was that batteries for one boat weren''t delivered on time and the workers had to skip-over their installation until they arrived (and there was one boat where a small section of teak belowdecks needed touching-up). I saw several instances where last-minute changes by buyers were accommodated, even to the effect of causing production schedule changes, and had a chance to talk to many workers who clearly take pride in their work and took great pains to show me and explain how they performed their jobs. Several of the workers have over 25 years'' experience in cabinetmaking, and it shows.

This isn''t meant as a personal attack but before I''d accept what Bluesmood and Sludgemaster had to say, I''d like to see some specifics from them, rather than blanket statements. Of course, Sludgemaster is entitled to his/her opinion, but the "pathetic" statement borders on hysterics and certainly isn''t objective or substantiated, from what what I saw. What constitutes "pathetic" -- the use of epoxy resin with a 15-year warrantee, vacuum-bagged hulls, the use of carbon fiber masts, lack of chopped mat fiberglass that adds weight with little strength (Sabre 386 uses it to prevent print-through, since they don''t use epoxy resin)? I didn''t see any evidence of construction that I personally wouldn''t be satisfied with, so I''d like to know how Bluesmoods can substantiate that Sabre is better-built. The same goes for the claim that Tartans aren''t holding their resale value. Give examples with facts about the boats (equipment, condition, etc.)

And what about the claimed lawsuits? How many are there, and what are they about? How are they being addressed (another aspect of a quality manufacturer is after-the-sale service)? Is such strong negativism based on personal experience or hearsay? I''d really like to know. Merely flinging accusations about isn''t informative or constructive.

I''ve had my 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II for eight years, and hope to buy a Tartan 3700 or 4100 in the not-too-distant future. I have a friend who owned a Sabre 34 that I admired for its quality and sailing characteristics. Yet, having seen the Tartan operation for myself (and having another friend who loves his 2000 Tartan 3500), I have no doubts about their quality or intrinsic value, and wouldn''t hesitate to take one anywhere.

I saw the 386 at last year''s Chicago Boat Show; it was very impressive, but didn''t match the Tartan (and certainly didn''t excite me the way that the 3700 did). For some reason, I could envision myself sailing the Tartan with a pride of ownership that was somehow lacking with the 386.

My local dealer told me that I''d have to wait several months for a new 3700 or 4100; there must be a reason.

If you''d like to chat, call me at 925-683-3997.

regards,
Jon Arck

P.S. Fairport Yachts IS Tartan Yachts; they changed their name when they acquired C&C.
Old 10-19-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

I don''t think you can go wrong with either vessel, I''ve been to the Sabre plant and noticed the same level of detail and workmanship pride that Jon witnessed in Ohio. That said all of the workmanship in the world isnít worth a hill of beans unless you have a well designed, well thought out product to begin with, see BenehuntalinasÖNOT. If you''re going to choose a colored hull you should know that the two companies approach this option from different headings: Tartan paints theirs, Sabres are gelcoat. The gelcoat finish may not last as long as the painted hull and will require more maintenance but, itís a lot more resistant to abrasion from fenders, lines and close encounters with unmovable objects such as pilings.

For the record, I like Moosetracks ice cream!
Old 10-19-2004

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road

I do not want to nor will I use this as a forum to "bad mouth boats" or manufactures''. All I can say is do your homework.. Many C&C and Tartan Yachts have been delivered with problems. Are C&C and Tartan Yachts nice boats?. . . Yes, of course they are .. If deciding between a Sabre and a Tartan.. My recommendation is Sabre. Simple as that.

I am in the technical side of the business, I have extensive experience with both Sabre, Tartan and IP.
Old 10-19-2004
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough

Bluesmoods, as you are in the "technical side of the business", can you elaborate what the "problems" are with the Tartan and C&C Boats. A "good v. bad" discussion adds little to my view of these yachts. What are the specific problems?

As for problems with production, is your comment based on experience with one boat, or is there a problem(s) with every boat coming off the line?

I am sure the readers also would lke to hear from Tartan, C&C, and Sabre owners regarding their purchase and experience with their boat.
Old 10-19-2004

levenezia is on a distinguished road

I''ll second Tweetybd. I am surprised at the negative, non-specific generalizations toward the Tartans with no facts presented to substantiate the serious innuendos. We researched the market for the past three years. My choices came down to the Sabre 386 or the Tartan 3700. (for my wife, there was no doubt what she preferred.) I sailed on my friend''s Sabre 362 several times last summer and thought it was a great boat. It has held up very well for ten years of hard use. For us the choice was easy. After careful scrutiny of both boats, we placed an order for a 3700 in September. Larry Venezia
Old 10-20-2004

tweetybd is on a distinguished road

Larry,

Where are you located, and how can I contact you directly?

Jon Arck
jonarck@kelarc.com