Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004

bluewaterdreamer is on a distinguished road
Sabre 386 or Tartan 3700???

Hello again to you all:

Ok, I am down to the nitty gritty. I am looking at the puchase of either a 2005 Tartan 3700 or a 2005 Sabre 386.

Again, I am looking to do some coastal cruising the next couple of years, with family, 2 to 4 onboard. And then some blue water sailing to Bermuda, and Atlantic Circle with 2 to 3 people on board.

I would like to hear from those of you that have sailed and (or) owned either of these boats. I know the Sabre 386 is new this year, so let me hear from those that have sailed other sabres 38''s or 36''s as well.

What do you think as far as: Which boat is better built? which boat has better performance? Which will hold up better over time? Which would be better for blue water sailing? Which would be better for coastal cruising? Which has better resale value?
(I am located in New England).

Please let me hear from you all, tell me the good as well as the bad about both these boats.

Thanks, ~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2004

PhilMraz is on a distinguished road

Dreamer-
I know well a Sabre 362 and have nothing ill to comment. She can race (phrf). She can cruise (luxuriously, thank you). Tartans are an interesting equivelant. Have not raced a 3700, but handicaps probably levelize. I have viewed a 386, but prefer the 362. Blondes or brunettes, your choice.
Old 09-04-2004

mgiguere is on a distinguished road

Considering your off shore goals, you should consider the Crealock 37...more ruggedly built than either of the two comparable choices you are looking at. It''s also a cutter rig which would be a substantial advantage. Put a Doyle stack pack main on it with extra roach (like I just did on my old Apache 37) and your set. What a huge difference it made.
Old 09-04-2004

johngov. is on a distinguished road

bluewaterdreamer,
We are on a similiar track, though maybe not looking for a brand new model. We are looking for the perfect 38 to 43 footer, Sabre, Tartan, Bristol, Crealock, (and a bunch of lesser knowns)etc.
Now I''m wondering that maybe I should be looking at something more modern and possibly less robust but quicker.
I''m noticing that even with the Bristols when you get to the 38.8 it''s a beautiful boat but only just bigger than the 35.5, without any difference in living quarters. I find once you get to something like a 43 footer you start to get aft cabins, etc.
I just don''t know. Maybe I should just get a Columbia 26, stick her on my mooring, then rent vacation properties for our fun time, summer time off. John Gov.
Old 09-05-2004

doubleplay is on a distinguished road

You can also look at Dehler 41 CR at the same or even at a slightly lower price range.
Great Boats....I own one Dehler 36 could not be more happier.
Good Luck
Old 09-05-2004

Heruka is on a distinguished road

I can only say join the Sailnet mail groups for these boats. I know the Tartan group is a bastion of info on these boats. as I own an older Tartan. on another note, the Tartan 3700 is my dream boat.
Old 09-08-2004

bluewaterdreamer is on a distinguished road

Hello again:

Is there anyone out there, that has owned anyone of these boats that can tell me the good as well as the bad, with regard to the baot, dealers and factory.

Thanks again, ~~
Old 09-08-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

If you haven''t already, follow Heruka''s advice and join the Tartan and Sabre email discussion lists. Post this same question on both lists. You have a much better chance of finding owners of these specific models that way. To join the email lists, look to the left for a button labeled Email Discussion Lists and follow the instructions.
Old 09-08-2004

Debonair is on a distinguished road

Not even a close call, Sabre 386 all the way,I also live in new england and bought a new Tartan 3500 last year and love it, but the 3700 is not as fast as the 386, and some problems with prop shaft alignment causing vibrations, check the tone website. the epoxy hull is the best but if possible go with a 4100, great boat!if that size and price is your range then go for sabre 386 still having issues with dealer in LI and factory on warranty items. hope sabre is better, then the 386 may be my next boat.
Old 10-03-2004

waterlogged is on a distinguished road

I looked at the Tartan 3700 and the Sabre 402 a few years ago when I was looking for a new boat. The are both reasonably good boats but I think the Sabre is a substantially better built boat. The joinerwork and fit and finish of the Sabre far exceeds the Tartan in my opinion. I think this also shows up in resale value. My experience was also that Sabres were somewhat more expensive than Tartans once you add up ALL the costs. I''d be surprised if the Sabre doesn''t end up at least 15-20% more than the Tartan. In any event, you can''t go too far wrong with either boat. I think they are more similar than they are different and personal preference/aesthetics will probably be the deciding factor. Good Luck.