Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: New Catalina Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Exchange rates?
THat should/may not be an issue. As many of the 30-42 or so ft Jeanneau's and Beneteaus are made in SC. BUT< they do ship the cabin pieces from the factory in France to the US to install in the US built models. Simple to do on a pallet etc.

All three frankly are good boats. It boils down to ambiance!

Marty
Old 09-23-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
My understanding of Catalina joinery work is that it is mostly wood veneer with a little bit of solid wood in areas that get high abrasion.
True, but most of the competitors that you cite have moved to melamine fake woodgrain instead of wood veneer. Many also have vinyl headliners that will degas their plasticizer over time and eventually crack. Some of that vinyl crap can also be found on the walls in the staterooms. I walk through display boats at boat shows (or look at boats I charter) and just scratch my head over this stuff that will look terrible in 10 years.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily enough to justify the price differential, but I do notice the difference when I walk through a Catalina vs. the other price point boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2013
winter crazy

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

maybe it is as simple as:

list price means nothing
Old 09-24-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
maybe it is as simple as:

list price means nothing
While there is always some room to haggle on price, the difference between the big three is not much different in percentage from list to final quote. The difference is in the information above. Catalina has more equipment standard, and the quality of much of it beats the comptetion. You do have to pay for those things, but in most Catalina's they are priced into packages that are add on's in other brands.
At the end of the day Bene will probably total out in the same neighborhood and the Catalina, you just have to decide if they are then equal or not. To each their own.

I am biased as I own a C34. However, when shopping for the boat new, I talked to a lot of dealers in state and at boat shows. The quote that I heard from more than one sales person, that sold both Catalina's and Bene's, was that the Catalina's were "more bullet proof" than the cruising series Bene's. That said, if I was more into racing I would own a 36.7 or 40.7 Bene as they are definetely faster. The cruising Bene's not so much.

Last edited by tomandchris; 09-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook