SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   New Catalina Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/103880-new-catalina-yachts.html)

Yamsailor 09-19-2013 03:06 PM

New Catalina Yachts

Is it me or does it seem the Catalina 315, 355, and 445 seem to be overpriced?

bobperry 09-19-2013 03:10 PM

Re: New Catalina Yachts

It's just you.

Yamsailor 09-19-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobperry (Post 1090931)
It's just you.

Interesting. Why are these yachts tens of thousands of more dollars than the Bene and Jeanneau's? Aside from the fact Catalina uses lead keels, why is there a premium on the Catalinas--there must be a reason.

Thoughts?

overbored 09-19-2013 03:36 PM

Catalina likes their boats better then the Beneteau likes theirs. you must too if you are asking the question

Yamsailor 09-19-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 1090943)
Catalina likes their boats better then the Beneteau likes theirs. you must too if you are asking the question

Yes. I like the 445 over the others. I am just trying to figure out why the 445 commands a $50-$60K premium over an equivalent Bene or Jeanneau. I can't believe a lead keel costs that much more. :o

mstern 09-19-2013 03:51 PM

There is no such thing as an apples to apples comparison among different manufacturers of boats. I don't think you can say that a Catalina (or anybody's boat) is overpriced because their 40 footer costs more than the same length Beneteau. You've identified at least one major cost component that would tend to jack up the price of the Catalina; I'd be willing to bet there are more. But perhaps most importantly, none of us know how Catalina or Beneteau develop their retail prices. Maybe Catalina has higher labor costs, maybe they have a better employee benefits program, or maybe they need a higher profit margin. If you think its overpriced, then it is for you. I would agree that if a Catalina 445 cost as much as a Friendship 40, then it would be overpriced by anyone's reasonable definition. However, I don't think that Catalina's prices are so out of whack with the market that you can say as a matter of course that they are simply "overpriced".

tommays 09-19-2013 03:52 PM

I do believe for example there is MUCH MORE REAL SOLID wood in the Catalina VS veneered panels that have become common in price point boats

Beneteau and its brands are a GIANT company with far more buying power

denverd0n 09-19-2013 03:54 PM

Catalina prices their boats just like every other manufacturer of anything prices their products, and just like we all price personal items that we decide to sell--they charge what they believe the market will bear. Catalina believes that they can get this much for their boats, and so that is what they try to sell them for. If the boats don't sell, the price will come down. If they have to lower their price so much that they aren't making any profit, then they will stop making boats.

Like they say in the commercials, it's not complicated. :-)

jsaronson 09-19-2013 04:15 PM

There is no comparison. Its like asking why a Hyundai is less than a Buick!

Yamsailor 09-19-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 1090956)
I do believe for example there is MUCH MORE REAL SOLID wood in the Catalina VS veneered panels that have become common in price point boats

Beneteau and its brands are a GIANT company with far more buying power

My understanding of Catalina joinery work is that it is mostly wood veneer with a little bit of solid wood in areas that get high abrasion.