Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004

benlolson is on a distinguished road
Live-Aboard Options... fixer-uppers?

Has anyone had any experience buying a "junk" boat with the intent to live aboard and fix it at leisure?

I live in Los Angeles, and am constantly in and out of town for months at a time, so the option of living on a boat appeals to me over getting another apartment and signing another lease, then moving out again... or paying absorbant amounts of rent for months I won''t even be there.

What I am looking to do is buy an older cruiser that is a comfortable length (30''-37''), moor it in LA, and work on it gradually throughout the year while I live on it at the same time. I am very able with carpentry and have friends who owe me favors, so it''s not the work that worries me... what worries me is that line between buying a complete piece of junk that should be scuttled, or a potentially beautiful boat that needs time and attention (and money).

Can anyone recommend good websites with "fixer-upper" boats, preferably on the west coast? Also, for those with experience, where do you draw the line between "junk" and "potential"? And finally, is anyone interested in this investment opportunity? I''m looking to flip it in about 6 months, and am always open to anyone with money I''m just a humble twenty-something writer/photographer who has dreams of one day owning my own boat.

Let me know,

Ben Olson
benlolson@earthlink.net
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2004

GordMay is on a distinguished road

Ben:
I don''t think a six month "flip" is likely.
You''ll not refit a "fixer-upper" in anything near six months part-time work. You''ll barely make a dent in polishing up the "needy" boat in that short time.
OMHO
Gord

Old 09-07-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road

Gord is right, it''s hard to keep up on just regular maintenance part time. It''s also a lot like building a car from new parts ordered at the dealer, very expensive and hard to get all your money back out. Some boats are a bad deal if you get them free. They can cost more to refit than buying one someone else has already done. That being said check Yachtworld.com, This is their list of 290 brokers in CA.
http://www.yachtworld.com/byp/categories/BrokerageSales/YachtBrokerageFirms_CA.html.en

Long Beach Yacht Sales has locations in San Pedro & Long Beach, both part of LA Harbor and specializes in repossessed & used boats ( as in well used sometimes )
As for mooring in LA, there aren''t a lot of places to moor in So. Calif that aren''t privately owned & expensive might want to check your options at: www.thelog.com
Old 09-08-2004

benolson is on a distinguished road

Thanks to both of you for the input
Old 09-09-2004
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Fixer-uppers?

Check http://www.certifiedsales.com/sboats.html

and you''ll get your fill. These boats sell for a fraction of the list price, should you pursue something like these come up with a lowball bid, but then cut it in half before forawarding. Understand, even at 10% of retail value, you can still end up taking a financial bath, especailly the first time you good through the proces (and I bet most no one does it a second time...) but it makes for a good dream...

good luck
Old 09-18-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road

you cant live here.thats what they will tell you before you get a file cabinet with your name on it in the harbor nazzi office.by the time you buy the boat,haul it out, survey it insure it,you may as well have bought a small motor home.If you want to live on a boat,get out of califungus.thats what I did 12 years ago.I bought a fixer upper for a song and a dance here in south florida.yes,we have weather issues,but we see it comming long in advance and we prepair for it.
Old 10-05-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

start calling the insurance companies about hurricane salvage boats