Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004

johnwalsh is on a distinguished road
Hunter 38

Has anyone heard anything good or bad on the new Hunter 38. If so.....whats the scoop.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2004

ISLANDCHIEF60 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 38

Hey John, I just puchased my 2004 41 and love it. I also looked at the new 38 as well but opted for the 41 due to the extra room for a live aboard. Both vessel are of excellent design and sail very well. I have had my 41 now for two months and sail it three to four times a week. I have taken it out in light air and in 25+ knot winds and as far as sailing I can find no complaints. both the 38 and the 41 are new for 04. Both have the same hull design and rigging design. Other than a slight speed advantage of the 41 I would say that the 38 would be a blast to chase the winds with. After living on my 41 I have found some minor issues with the boat but there again you would find issues with any boat. If you really like the boat and it fits your needs then buy it. Its alot of boat for the money and they put great equipment on the boat. I will be circumnavigating with my 41 and yes I will be making mods to it. But as far as the structure it should serve me well. I`m not a storm chaser and I will pick my weather patterns so with all this in mind, why not the new 38? If your budget is unlimitted then there are better choices. But if your have a tight budget then I think the new 38 will way exceed your expectations. The new hunter boats are kick ass. Oh and if you get one, get it with the furling mast. You will love it. Alot of my friends really ribbed me pretty hard when they found out that I bought a Hunter. I said to them" Have you ever sail one?" and they said "No". I said " Get on and hang on". When it was all over, they were buying me the beers and had a new respect for hunter boats. I too had my doubts until I sailed one. Take one out and try it. You will be very surprised.
Old 09-12-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road
Hunter 38

Islandchief60,

Congratulations on your new boat. I envy you! As far as Hunter boats,I''ve never been in the camp of "Hunter''s are bad boats." One Hunter model that I''m considering is an older Hunter 37 Cutter.I believe Hunter, like many other boat manufacturers have some good, and not so good designs. Also,not all boat models are designed to travel around the world, but are targeted at a specific marketing group.I''m not familiar with the 41, but it sounds like a blast to sail.Enjoy!!

So, now that you have her, are you going to become "Islandchief41?" ; ^ ) It sounds like you''re getting younger!
Old 09-13-2004

johnwalsh is on a distinguished road
Hunter 38

Islandchief60,

Congratulations to you on your 41, sounds like your very happy with your purchase. Good luck with all.
Thanks for the feedback. I''ve been hearing alot of positive comments about the 38 and hearing another only affirms my decision on purchasing her. I already have a down payment on her and is to be arriving toward the end of September. Thanks Again!

John
Old 09-14-2004

ISLANDCHIEF60 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 38

Way to go John!!!!! I know you will have a blast on it. Thanks Stede. The new Boat Name is " Tallulah " I know. You hear that name and it reminds you of the Big Fat White chick in High School. However it`s Native American for Leaping Water. I thought it fit.