1972 Morgan 30/2 - Good choice for anything? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sailingfool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2013 Thread Starter

1972 Morgan 30/2 - Good choice for anything?

I love Morgan's. So much history and design beauty. I can't find much on a 1972 30/2. I picked one up. Curious what thoughts are on spending money to refit this boat. I don't see others recouping money on efforts. I care more about capability and quality. Would love to hear thoughts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-25-2013
pete

I have a 30-2 and I like it !! It points well , very comfortable ride , handles wind , waves !!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-2013

Re: 1972 Morgan 30/2 - Good choice for anything?

There's one on my dock that's fixed up nicely. Pretty boat and the owner is happy with how she sails.

If you like the boat fix her up and enjoy her. But don't ever look at money you put into a boat to provide a return on investment.

The return is the joy you get from her.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #4 of 9 Old 12-18-2013

I was looking at one as well.... not much to be found out about these boats. Where alot made? were they successful? Would a pearson 30 be a better boat if the two were priced the same and in the same condition?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-18-2013

The Morgan 30/2 was an early IOR race boat. I don't have much experience with the 30, but sailed the very similar but smaller 27 foot version quite a bit. I have raced against these the 30/2 when they were new and was able to observe their sailing characteristics from the boats that I was racing at the time. My sense is that these are not very good boats from any standpoint. The build quality on the 27 was pretty shoddy. Even as new boats they had structural issues that required them to be beefed up by the original owners. The big issues had to do with oil canning in the hull where the shrouds attached that was so bad that in heavy air the hull would pop back out after a tack with an audible boom. The other known problem was keel attachment with their 'shark fin' keels. The boats that were raced typically beefed up the boats in these areas, and some had customized keels made.

In terms of sailing ability, these boats went up wind very well for their day, but they were terribly squirelly deep reaching and running and in gusty conditions. They also required a large sail inventory to sail well across a broad range of conditions.

It was a huge revelation about how easy a boat could be to handle when I went from racing on the Morgan 27 to an early J-30.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #6 of 9 Old 12-18-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiggs View Post
I love Morgan's. So much history and design beauty. I can't find much on a 1972 30/2. ...
I dont think the 30/2 and her several sisterships had much in common with the many other boats carrying the Morgan name which all have more traditional design characteristics.
oysterman23 likes this.

Certified...in several regards...
post #7 of 9 Old 12-18-2013
Senior Moment Member

The 30/2 was more a MORC design than IOR. They carry a PHRF in the 160's which is pretty fast for a 30' of that vintage.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago

Recognizing this is an old thread .. . I recently purchased a 30/2 and have a lengthy restoration ahead of me. Finding information on the 30/2 is extremely difficult. The deck is scheduled for new paint, etc. Question: What type of hull deck joint does the 30/2 have? I need to pull the toe rails for resealing and paint and want to be prepared for any potential problems.

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Moment Member

I don't know for sure but I think it has a flat deck that sits on and is bolted through a return on the hull - the deck being sandwiched between the toe rail and the hull return.

Take a look inside up in the corner of the hull/deck area - you will probably see a row of nuts running the full length of the boat.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.