Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013

Acameronp is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat comparisons

Thanks Donna
My wife is an accountant so for better or worse, EVERYTHING make it onto a spreadsheet. We have definitely started the wants/needs list.

Yes, so far that has been our approach as well. What I was hoping to accomplish in the forum here is if based on budget, use, and need, if there was some matrix or list. Example would be that on one end we can't afford an Island Packet, and on the other a Hunter most likely would not be the best idea for long term live aboard. 2 down 998 to go in hopes of coming up with that short list.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

There are many people who love their Hunters, especially the bigger ones. Some live aboard and cruise extensively. One thing they have going for them is that Hunter focuses on making comfortable cabins. So, I wouldn't necessarily rule them out without seeing them first and getting a sense for what's available in your budget. While they did earn a bad reputation for a stretch in the mid to late 80's and into the 90's, from what I've read (I'm the first to admit that a) I'm a novice, and b) I don't have first-hand experience), the newer boats are decent quality and fine for living aboard and coastal cruising. They tend to present decent value when compared to other boats. Of course, you may have your own reasons for wanting to drop them from the list.

I have no ties to Hunter, and fully acknowledge that there ARE models that have bad reputations. To me, though, it's like Hyundai versus Lexus. Some of the Hyundai models have a reputation for being junk, but there are some that are just fine, and even recommended by CR and other consumer magazines. You just have to do your research. It also means that the resale value of a Hunter tends to be lower, which can be a good thing as a buyer.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013

Acameronp is on a distinguished road

Paul-Agreed. From an affordability standpoint their resale is attractive. Wait... now I have to add Hunters back to the list!!! I sail on 2004 Hunter 34 every week in a racing series. Its definitely a cruiser not a racer, but certainly comfortable. A 34 is too small for the 2 of us but it is giving me an idea of what our "needs" are.
We ran into a seasoned sailor this weekend and he was definitely not a Hunter fan, but interesting that he got out of the game mid 90's.
Old 09-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If it's a 340 you sail, that one is a bit of a dog. A friend in a group had one and they sold it after a couple of seasons because it was so slow - PHRF around 156 IIRC - that's very slow for a big 34'. They were a bunch of geezer couples too so.....

For a liveaboard I can think of few boats better than a Hunter - they are all about cabin space and all the comforts of home. Remarkably well thought out detailing too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

You might want to read through Steve's experiences with his Hunter:
The Smack Boys & Their Yacht : BFSshop.com, is the official home of BFS Gear for Big Freakin Sails!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-06-2013

contrarian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We are looking to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60K on what's hopefully a 38-44 ft "gently used " boat. (Sadly an Island Packet just isn't in the budget.)
If you are looking for a matrix to correspond to your criteria, by looking on Yachtworld and entering your length and price criteria you will find that there are less than a handfull that are newer than 1990 east of the Mississippi... A 1990 Pearson 39 and a 1991 Beneteau 39 being the largest from widely recognized builders plus a couple more less familiar brands (just for grins I added 1990 or newer as a criteria). If you move the date back to 1980 you will find more choices that meet your length and budget requirements one of which you might also consider would be the Cheoy Lee Golden Wave 42 which to my eye is a nice looking boat with nice live aboard accomodations for the era and any other era for that matter but I am partial to traditional teak interiors. You can probably get additional information regarding the boat from Bob Perry whom I believe was the designer and who also frequents this board from time to time. If you can find one of these boats whose teak decks have been addressed and has been refitted it would be another choice worth considering.
Old 10-06-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Yachtworld advanced search is your friend.

Go and look at boats take lots of notes and cross reference to lots of pics. Don't be afraid to offer what YOU think it is worth.

You don't say where you are so I chose Florida as there are lots of boats and some bargains.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976...s#.UlImnNI3s8U Older boat with a good refit. I would look at this. Needs a watermaker OR bigger tanks. 150g was my minimum.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987...s#.UlIoU9I3s8U 10 years younger shorter roomy

Last edited by TQA; 10-06-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

In this market, with an upper limit of $60K, I'd set my search with an upper limit of $90K.

Remember, those YW prices are asking and this is a major buyers market.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-07-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

May I suggest a 38 or 40 Freedom? I am totally enamored with them, but they are not your typical sailboat because of the unstayed mast. They are solidly built, have lots of storage, easy to sail, and extremely comfortable on the water. Most of the criticism I hear is that they don't point. I can't pinch mine, but it does really well about 30-35 deg off the wind and even better than that if the wind picks up. I don't know many boats that can do better than this. You might hear that Freedoms need at least 12 knots to move, but what they really need is a bigger foresail. In a race this weekend on SF Bay in extremely light winds (2-3 knots), I was able to keep up with the fleet until many of the true racers pulled ahead with their 150s and spinnakers. Also, in spite of the large mainsail, I don't need to reef until we get in over 20 knots and big seas. My first reef is comfortable at 23-28 knots. I haven't been in winds above that yet so I don't know when I'll need to use my second reef. It has a self-tending jib and all lines lead aft, so one person can handle it easily. Check out the ease in using a gun-mount spinnaker on YouTube. The F38 is the same size as the F36, except the 38 has a swim platform, which is nice when you're docked stern in or for swimming/diving. I bought my 38 for $50K, but upgrades pushed it a bit higher. And because this was my first time purchase, I didn't negotiate as hard as I should have. I looked at a lot of Hunter, Beneteau and Catalina, but didn't find any that really grabbed me. Other boats in my price range that I also liked were Pacific Seacraft, Wauquiez, Canadian Sailcraft, Contest, Ericson, and Pearson. I've since heard great things about Cal 40s, but I don't recall seeing them in my searches, so they might have been out of my price range. My spreadsheet included my thoughts after looking at each boat along with a LOT of research on the web and talking to people. The criteria I used to narrow my search was quality of build, ease of sail handling, and liveable space. I kept coming back to the "can't live without it" piece, which was the swim platform. Many people told me that you'll know it's the right boat the moment you step foot on it. This is true. Go look at as many different ones as you can. Given how little I knew about how different boats sailed, it was a surprisingly great leap of faith, but just trust your gut when that moment hits you.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38