SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Hunter 356 - Anyone sailed on one? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/104370-hunter-356-anyone-sailed-one.html)

maccauley123 10-03-2013 08:40 AM

Hunter 356 - Anyone sailed on one?

I am looking at purchasing a 2002 Hunter 356 which I really like. Everything I can find about the boat says it is well constructed and sails well and my wife and I really like the layout. My wife liking it is HUGE. I have read 3 or 4 published reviews and they have all been positive. I will be scheduling a sea trial and having it surveyed but am looking for any feedback from current or prior owners of this boat. What do you like or not like about this boat? How well does she sail? Anything I should be concerned with? Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

kjretlaw 10-03-2013 12:17 PM

Re: Hunter 356 - Anyone sailed on one?

I have a 2003 326 and the wife and I are enjoying it. Ours has the furling main which make it easy to handle in most any wind. They are lighter than other boats in their class but you just reef the main early and pass others by when the winds are light. This is our second season and we're very satisfied with construction and sail handling.

ecaldwel 10-03-2013 12:24 PM

There are 21 owners' reviews posted on hunter.sailboatowners.com

Faster 10-03-2013 12:43 PM

I'll say it again... I think the 90s era Legend boats (35.5/37.5/40.5) are far better boats (better looking, better rigged) than the era you're considering...

maccauley123 10-03-2013 01:25 PM

Faster, why are the legend boats better constructed? What specifically makes the 356 of poorer construction?

azguy 10-03-2013 02:00 PM

I know nothing about them but did some Googling, what an amazing boat the cabin layout looks great:

2002 Hunter 356

Faster 10-03-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccauley123 (Post 1098241)
Faster, why are the legend boats better constructed? What specifically makes the 356 of poorer construction?

Actually I never said 'better constructed".. I think they are better looking boats, as good or better interiors, and a much nicer, conventional (full backstay/non B&R) fractional rig. I would expect construction issues are more or less on par, but don't know either way.

This is personal opinion and preference... I also don't like the 'hot tub cockpit' style they adapted at that time - but to each their own ;), nor the 'bayliners with rigs' look (to my eye) :rolleyes:

No offence to all the happy owners :) - and in the interest of disclosure, I've only sailed past them, not on one...

benesailor 10-03-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Actually I never said 'better constructed".. I think they are better looking boats, as good or better interiors, and a much nicer, conventional (full backstay/non B&R) fractional rig. I would expect construction issues are more or less on par, but don't know either way.

This is personal opinion and preference... I also don't like the 'hot tub cockpit' style they adapted at that time - but to each their own , nor the 'bayliners with rigs' look (to my eye)

No offence to all the happy owners - and in the interest of disclosure, I've only sailed past them, not on one...
Ditto

maccauley123 10-04-2013 07:41 AM

Thanks for pointer to 21 reviews on Sailboatowners, didn't find that before. Read through and all were positive and very happy with boat. I looked at Legend 35.5 and it is pretty but a review said there were a few things to look for that likely need repair. My current boat needed a lot if work and while I enjoyed doing it I want my next boat to be ready to go, no work needed. The Hunter 356 seems to fit that, just up to me to keep up with maintenance of course. I have seen concern about the non standard B&R rig but not from owners or those who have sailed them. I want a reliable, comfortable and well sailing boat and everything I find about the 356 says thats what she is.

Don0190 10-04-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccauley123 (Post 1098640)
I have seen concern about the non standard B&R rig but not from owners or those who have sailed them.

There are "issues" but mostly they are that you need to learn to sail the rig for what it is. I have 3 years sailing the B&R and overall the pluses outweigh the minus.