Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

If standing headroom is not an issue, look at the Pacific Seacraft 25. I lived aboard one for a couple years. Good storage, big vberth, head is "contained" but not fully closed off. You just have to get used to putting your pants on while standing in the hatchway . Hard to find one at 3000, but maybe 6-8+.

Have you thought about storing the boat rather than trailering it? This would open a list of vessels that might work better for you. If so, the Pearsons, Bristols, Columbias, Islanders are some boats to consider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2013

TuurboSpaggetti is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti
Storage might be an option, but the cost of transport seems like it might be prohibitive. I'm also anticipating having to do some work to the boat before the start of the season which would be difficult with a boat on a cradle in a yard or warehouse.
Old 10-03-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

So watch craigslist, but more importantly, go walk the docks at your local cheapie marinas. You are at the right time of year to buy, and prices for a 27' boat that will be a lot roomier may not be significantly different than a 23' trailerable.
Old 10-03-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Catalina 25 has a pop top (though you can't really stand in front of the stove, which is the most important area for me to stand), private enclosed head (often with a holding tank), sails pretty well, and you can probably get one in rough but not terrible shape for $3000.

The models made with a head but no sink for the head have a tiny hanging locker. It would also be easy to convert the V-berth into a hanging locker plus storage and still sleep (I'm assuming you are single) in the wide but not tall quarterberth.

O'Day 25 is quite similar with a couple of inches more standing height but no pop-top.

Erickson 25+ is quite a nice boat with more storage area (due to being 9' wide vs 8') but is unlikely to be $3000.
Old 10-03-2013

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

A Rhodes 22 has a head, not exactly enclosed though. Some Compac 23's have a marine head. 3k and 23 foot is not much to work with. If you could step up to a Catalina 27 you could get cheap and a lot more room.
Old 10-03-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Looking at CL in your area, if it was me I would try and buy THIS;

28' Sailboat for Sale price reduced to

Heck, the fella that designed it, Bob Perry, was the first person that replied to your post. How cool is that?

It is a bit over your budget, but sails great, looks great, has a head, you can stand up in it and it would go just about anywhere should the desire hit you. 3K for a live aboard is really tight. I would LOVE it if I could shop in your neck of the woods vs Alaska.
jimgo likes this.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 10-03-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2013

Chas H is on a distinguished road

Check Crowley's Yacht Yard and Larsen Marine in your neighborhood. They have some boats that might be coaxed down to your price range this time of year.
-CH
Old 10-04-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
I don't think I'd want a pop-top O'Day in May or October in Chi-town.

I don't think I'd want to live on a 23 footer if it wasn't a Georgian 23.

Could happen in your price range.

If you're trailering that much already you could maybe find a Grampian 26 with a swing keel (they made a few), same designer, and a lot of boat for 26'.
Zed has hit the mark. Georgian 23, bayfield 25, Challenger 24, Grampian 26 all have full headroom, enclosed heads, shoal draft for ease of trailering, hanging lockers, and all are sub $5K for a solid, if basic, boat.

We bought our Georgian 23 six season ago with the intention of sailing her for a season, to see if we enjoyed sailing, then getting something slightly bigger.
We are still sailing her, simply because we can't find a boat with a diesel inboard, dodger, bimini, furling jib, autopilot, masthead rig, shoal draft, full headroom, etc., 26 feet or under, without starting to spend serious cash.

Old 10-04-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Bayfield 25 that Brian mentioned is another good rec. Were a pile of them in our marina. Couple next to me had one, and some bums squatted in it and burned it to the ground over the winter on the hard (!). They went right out and bought another one.

Arguably the only other "real" livable 23-footer (25 is a misnomer - it's only because of the bowsprit). Looses against the Georgian because they will charge you for 25', wins because it's not ugly :-) the Georgian on our dock vertically dwarfed all the other boats on our dock - like twice the height to the top of the coach roof...
Old 10-04-2013

scottie55 is on a distinguished road

Westerly Centaur

Tags
liveaboard