Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard) - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

Every single foot makes a huge difference from 22-28' and cost doesn't go up significantly. At 23' it's hard to find an enclosed head and headroom is going to be pretty bad. By 26' almost every boat will have an enclosed head and plenty have 6' headroom or close to it, and many have quarter berths (good for storage at least). By 28' you'll have standing headroom and quarter berths or aft cabins in most boats.

Between 22' and 26' cost barely goes up at all. Good pearson 26's go for <$5k for example. I'd at least extend your search up to ~26'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2013

TuurboSpaggetti is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti

I certainly won't rule out any boat that I can afford, the bigger the better! As long as I can keep it somewhere to work on it and get it into lake michigan at the beginning of the season next year, I will consider any and all sailboats. 23 is just the absolute minimum. Anyone ever live aboard one of the older MacGregor/Venture 25 footers? No hanging locker from what I can tell, but it seems to fit pretty much every other requirement and I'm trippin over ads for them it seems like.
Old 10-05-2013

Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti

Everyone probably thinks this boat is uuuuugggglllyyyy, but Its right up my alley. I can't seem to find much out there about these reinell sailboats though. Anyone have any insights?
Clean Dry 26' sailboat w/trailer & slip @ Pioneer Marina
Old 10-05-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

No, she looks like a sweet boat, it's fiberglass right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

REINELL 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Reinell Boat Works
1928-1980

First founded as Adams & Reinell, Inc., in Marysville, Washington, USA.
The company specialized in lapstrake and carvel-planked boats in the 10- to 18-foot range, but they advertised their ability to design and build pleasure cruisers or yachts up to 110 feet in their spacious plant.
In the early 1930’s C.B. Adams dropped out and the company became known as Reinell Boat Works. The plant was expanded several times and new models were added to the line, making Reinell a well known and successful west coast US builder of outboard runabouts, at least into the 1960's, when fiberglass contruction was introduced.
After an initial resistance to the new technology, the company began building small fiberglass runabouts in 1957, which were not well received.
Reinell entered into a short lived venture of building sailboats when they purchased some molds from the recently defunct American Mariner Industries.
After a number of changes in ownership and management, the company closed it's doors in 1980. Most of companies assetts were purchased by Beechcraft Marine, which in turn went under a few years later.
See American Mariner Industries.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 10-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I want a rocketship and I want one with Faster Than Light engines and I've worked out a budget, I can afford ten grand for it.

Doesn't mean I'm going to find one, does it? Not in working order.
Old 10-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I want a rocketship and I want one with Faster Than Light engines and I've worked out a budget, I can afford ten grand for it.

Doesn't mean I'm going to find one, does it? Not in working order.
Why so sore?
There's plenty of boats in my price range that fit my criteria. I didn't say I wanted a giant yacht with 5 berths. I'm just looking for a bed, a toilet, and a hanging locker. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 10-05-2013

seaner97 is on a distinguished road
Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

There's a Pearson 10m near you on eBay for wicked cheap. Not trailerable , but would give you much more room for severe bargain price.
Old 10-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Not sore at all, just somewhat amused by the idea of a 23-foot boat with a head and hanging locker. A head of some kind probably puts you into 26 feet, but if you want a hanging locker big enough to hold one week's worth of business suits (or jackets and pants) you'll have to upsize again. Although for three grand you might find that boat, I'd be surprised if it was dry enough to keep those clothes free of mildew. And if you're wintering in Chicago, you'll also need heat. More space and money.

On the three grand budget, and "cheap boats" have been discussed quite often here and elsewhere, you'll be probably buying a boat with an outboard engine, in need of deck repairs, with blown out sails or other problems. it may not be impossible, but a warm dry boat that allows you to live aboard, and still can be sailed or function as a BOAT, is going to be a hard find for three grand.

I know there are "apartments" in Tokyo that are smaller than a 26' boat, but they don't have hanging lockers either, and the head is down the hall, communal style. You will doubtless think it is a waste of good money, but hire a surveyor before you buy the boat, so you have some expectation of how much more it will cost to fix the inevitable problems in a $3000 boat.
Old 10-05-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Hello.
We summer aboard a 23' boat with a hanging locker and full headroom.

if we had the option, we might consider wintering aboard her as well, but it admittedly gets tight wiht two people and two dogs.

So... what's your point? You apparently missed the post a page back where several examples suiting the OPs needs were suggested, all of which you apparently didn't realize existed, then you give the OP a reality check that he can't find what he wants for what he wants?

A good point is brought up, however- measuring the suitability of a boat by LOA is a bit of a fool's errand. Displacement might be a better measure. A Flicka, for example is more comfortable and livable than a tanzer 22, although the tanzer is longer, and a dana 24 is a much more luxurious boat than a Mac 26.

Tags
liveaboard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.