Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard) - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

bl-
As you said: 'Georgian 23, bayfield 25, Challenger 24, Grampian 26 all have full headroom, enclosed heads, shoal draft for ease of trailering, hanging lockers, and all are sub $5K for a solid, if basic, boat."
I don't say that they don't exist, just that finding one will not be easy, and finding one at 3K will be even more difficult. "sub 5K" is still quite a stretch from 3K. I've been on the Grampian a long time ago, don't recall how much "hanging locker" it had, but I'd be hard pressed to keep two weeks worth of business attire in less than two feet of hanging locker. Not just a rod--but a locker, which could keep them dry and unchafed while sailing. I suppose three jackets and daily trips to the dry cleaner to rotate them might work, but then again, I never enjoyed daily stops at the cleaners much anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2013

TuurboSpaggetti is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti
Hellosailor, 3 jackets, 6 pair pants and 5 shirts should fit in a hanging locker less than 12", as that's the space i keep them in now. And i don't expect to get a turnkey boat for 3k, which you might have picked up on had you read the earlier posts before reacting. Also, you might have picked up on the "2014 season" aspect, or the clear statement of May through October. I appreciate that you took the time to add your input, but please try to be constructive.
Old 10-08-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Alaska:
Common sense scares them. Nice try though.

Clothes crammed into a 12" wide hanging locker will not have the ventilation to dry and fresh. You need space between the clothing. Carve this in stone. Or not and smell like you live aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Sorry if I misread you, Turbo, but three suits wouldn't get me through a standard business week. Maybe if they were a "corporate" blazer where you could wear what looked like the same thing every day, but on the east coast, you're expected to have a little more rotation in the attire. And you'd better have a fast dry cleaner to make that happen.

I could certainly pack that much stuff on a 12" bar but my (mythological) tailor would throttle me with his measuring tape if I did. They'd be all jammed up with the collars and shoulders rubbing, and that's simply not good for the clothing.Heck, hanging five shirts in the same six inches counts as incest in most states. :-)

But as long as you know it works for you, however you do it, that's all that need count. And here I thought my post was constructive: Warning you that you'll need more boat to make that work smoothly!
Old 10-08-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

Hey Turbo , congrats on your post here. You are getting a lot of hits . But I have to say I got 75 hits on a post I made. ( it was a test post I made to get the 15 posts so I could PM, I pleaded ignore. ) Any how the reason for my post here is to tell you about a book . It is called The Sailor's Sketch Book , by Bruce Bingham . N/A For the Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 . Ok I know the Flicka is not what you are asking about . But the book is . I love this book .
Old 10-09-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuurboSpaggetti View Post
Hellosailor, 3 jackets, 6 pair pants and 5 shirts should fit in a hanging locker less than 12", as that's the space i keep them in now. And i don't expect to get a turnkey boat for 3k, which you might have picked up on had you read the earlier posts before reacting. Also, you might have picked up on the "2014 season" aspect, or the clear statement of May through October. I appreciate that you took the time to add your input, but please try to be constructive.
I think some of the comments have been a bit harsh as well but one thing to remember is that this sailing forum gets quite a few posts that read like this:

"Hey I'm 23 and I've never seen the ocean before and I have $4200 total and I want to sail around the world starting in 3 months. What 30' "blue water" boat should I buy"

I don't think your post fit this mold but when you think someone is being unrealistic it's not necessarily a bad thing to try and set them straight quickly.
Old 10-09-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

I lived aboard a Catalina 22 for a winter in Seattle. That was pretty uncomfortable, but doable.

I lived aboard a Catalina 27 for three years in L.A. That was much more comfortable. Catalina 27s have a huge amount of room down below, and sail well. They are also cheap and plentiful.

Go have a look at one.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 10-09-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road

Had neighbors who worked for NASA, they had to wear a suit everyday. Rented a storage unit that was on the route to work. Changed clothes at the storage unit. No need to stink up the boat with cubicle smell .

Also, the Pearson triton is tiny but has good headroom, and can be found cheap.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 10-09-2013

SawWhet is on a distinguished road

Tanzer 22
Old 10-09-2013

SawWhet is on a distinguished road

Tanzer 22 had one years ago fantastic boat

Tags
liveaboard