SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/104381-small-affordable-sailboats-ample-storage-planning-live-aboard.html)

TuurboSpaggetti 10-03-2013 12:57 PM

Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

Hi everybody!

I've decided that I will be living aboard a small sailboat during the 2014 season in Chicago. I've found my marina of choice, and worked out a budget of 3000 max for the cost of a boat. I know this will be a small boat, so please don't feel the need to warn me about that, i'm prepared for it.

That said, I'm looking for boats that will ideally have the following qualities:
1. Trailerable (or already in Chicago)
2. At least 23'
3. Some kind of head (not picky)
4. Lockers that I can hang clothing in, as I wear suits to work and need to maintain a reasonably neat wardrobe

Any suggestions as to what models to look for/at is greatly appreciated!

bobperry 10-03-2013 01:06 PM

Re: Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

Do you want a boat that sails or do you just want a boat?
Do you mean an enclosed head?

TuurboSpaggetti 10-03-2013 01:14 PM

I'd like to be able to do some coastal cruising, no more than a day or two away from the slip a month though. And the head being enclosed would be a plus, but isn't imperative.

zedboy 10-03-2013 01:26 PM

Are you big on standing up?

Are you under 5'6"?

Are you much affected by cold?

TuurboSpaggetti 10-03-2013 01:29 PM

Cold won't be much of an issue, as i will only be in the slip from may thru october. And height is something to consider, but not crucial, as i'm a fairly short fella

Markwesti 10-03-2013 01:36 PM

O'Day 23 if you can find one . That was may first boat . It has everything you are requesting . Good luck !

TuurboSpaggetti 10-03-2013 01:50 PM

And oday 23s have a pop top, too! Perfect. Anybody else have any ideas?

zedboy 10-03-2013 01:51 PM

I don't think I'd want a pop-top O'Day in May or October in Chi-town.

I don't think I'd want to live on a 23 footer if it wasn't a Georgian 23.

Where's Jonesy? He's got one. They're the biggest small boat you'll find. And they made them on Lake Ontario so you could probably either find one or bring one. Probably don't come with trailers but the draft isn't so bad, a little hefty - you got a big truck?

Could happen in your price range.

If you're trailering that much already you could maybe find a Grampian 26 with a swing keel (they made a few), same designer, and a lot of boat for 26'.

Markwesti 10-03-2013 02:06 PM

My O'Day 23 did not have a pop top . Plus the only reason we got rid of it, is we couldn't stand up in it . And you might want to check if your marina lets people live on a boat that size . I know mine doesn't . My suggestion is to go a little bigger . In my area 27-30 footers can be had for $3000. or even less . But you have to be in the right place at the wrong time . Take your time .

seaner97 10-03-2013 02:24 PM

Small affordable sailboats with ample storage? (planning to live aboard)

Catalina 22 with a pop is similar to the oday, but I always liked the accommodations slightly better...