get out of jail "free" card - catamaran 40ft - buy 5yr used or new into charter pool - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: get out of jail "free" card - catamaran 40ft - buy 5yr used or new into charter p

I thought most modern cats ran saildrives. Do the S African ones use conventional shafts and packing glands?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: get out of jail "free" card - catamaran 40ft - buy 5yr used or new into charter p

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I thought most modern cats ran saildrives. Do the S African ones use conventional shafts and packing glands?
On the condition of charter boats..I'm always amazed how people fall for sales pitches, and suggest they go look at some of these boats. As has already been pointed out these boats will have minimum electronics and cruising equipment. Get ready to bend some plastic with these..

As for sail drives/ It depends on the boat. This Leopard 47 advertises Straight through hull drive shafts.

http://www.catamaransite.com/leopard..._for_sale.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 10-19-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2013

katkeyskat is on a distinguished road

so we went and looked at new lagoon 39 and 400s owners versions today. pitch was new into charter with 5 years of income to offset devaluation.

I preferred the 39. I like the self tacking jib and the helm station set up. winches are very well set and it would seem a "breeze " to even single hand this sail plan. but the main seems very small even though its a square top. so I am also worked about performance especially in light wind and close hauled sailing. my wife says it looks like a "barbie boat " all looks but mostly plastic.

so it still seems we should go for a used owners version that is well equipped. the reason being we want to live aboard and potentially circumnavigated in 5 years. the boats needs to last for 20 years and hold up. so who cares about factory guarantee if things don't last. we had a 1979 post 42 built in NJ that was tough as nails that proved the value of build quality.

so what are the best quality cats out there under 400k?
Old 11-04-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
On the condition of charter boats..I'm always amazed how people fall for sales pitches, and suggest they go look at some of these boats. As has already been pointed out these boats will have minimum electronics and cruising equipment. Get ready to bend some plastic with these..

As for sail drives/ It depends on the boat. This Leopard 47 advertises Straight through hull drive shafts.

http://www.catamaransite.com/leopard..._for_sale.html
I was on Leopard 47 since I posted my question and as you pointed out, it had straight shafts. Nice boat by the way. I liked most things I saw. Not sure about climbing up into those berths. It's probably unfair to make a judgement before actually trying it but that was my initial impression. I was also very impressed with the overall condition of the boat. It showed very little wear for it's age and it had been chartered up until a few months ago.

I agree with some of your previous comments, charter boats are not set up for cruising, period. I also see some very good prices on 5 year old boats coming out of charter. Many of these people end up with a large monthly payment to make with no more charter income and they are desperate to stop the bleeding. Looking at the boats with open eyes and the ability to add up costs for what one needs to cruise isn't rocket science. Zanshin here has bought two monohulls from a charter company and was very pleased with them, I think Mark sea of whatever, did the same. I know quite a few people that have done the same with cats. There is some damaged crap coming out of charter too. Judging all cats coming from charter fleets as an unfit base to cruise on is observation I can't agree with. A shrewd consumer can find some very good deals saving enough to outfit the boat the way they want, not the way the previous owner did. Like all things boat related, an ex-charter boat is a compromise. Not right for some, OK for some and perfect for others.
Old 11-04-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Option 6. Buy a 10-15 year old used boat from a meticulous owner. I've gone that route 3 times and been happy with it. They generally have less wear than 5 year ex-charter boats and are better equipped for an owner (not charter versions).

Buy from further north, where the season is short.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Tags
catamaran