Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Almost!

I don't think Julie's search has been unreasonable at all.
She is obviously talking about spending a fair sum of money (if a Nautor Swan was the choice) so taking one's time seems quite sensible to me.
I for one, have enjoyed reading her posts along the way.

I trust that JW was just being a tad flip(pant).
davidpm likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Julie, you're obviously going to have to lower your standards and only look at boats that people are happy to be rid of.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-10-2013

mattt is on a distinguished road

I've seen older Swan's for less than 100k, FWIW. There are a few on yachtworld right now. Good luck with your search! Nothing wrong with taking your time to find The One. I imagine I will be looking for years, too.
Old 10-10-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I've been boat shopping with Julie.

My plan is to let her find "the" boat, then when she gets two-foot-itus I can buy it from her.
That way I don't have to do any boat shopping at all.

Whatever she ends up with will be awesome.
Old 10-11-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
James,
Unless you were being deliberately offensive that post was borderline.
No, it wasn't. I think a little prodding would do some good. I think she might be overlooking the opportunity cost. All the time she is looking for a 'perfect' boat is taking away from the time spent on the water. After a while that cost becomes huge.

I think James is alluding to that point so is doing a favour so I think tdw should consider apologising to James.
fryewe likes this.
Old 10-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
I've seen older Swan's for less than 100k, FWIW. There are a few on yachtworld right now. .......
While Julie's wasn't listed, I only see four older Swan 44s listed on Yachtworld in North America. All but one is well over 100k and the one exception says there is deferred maintenance reflected in the price. With Julie's search for the right boat, I can't imagine she decided to buy a project.

Her OP above says "....find a boat that we could enjoy more than work on". Even a 1970s model would easily push over 100k, if it was in that condition.

I wonder if the owner got cold feet because he was selling it too low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Too bad.. clearly the guy's a class act - refunding your costs like that is pretty rare...
So is Julie for letting it go.
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-11-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
No, it wasn't. I think a little prodding would do some good. I think she might be overlooking the opportunity cost. All the time she is looking for a 'perfect' boat is taking away from the time spent on the water. After a while that cost becomes huge.

I think James is alluding to that point so is doing a favour so I think tdw should consider apologising to James.
The facts are this: Wilson hasn't known me for 3-4 years so he's obviously exaggerating when he said I've been looking for a boat for 3-4 years. His memory isn't too good either. Wishing for $10 for every time I said I was going to buy a boat would net him exactly $0. So his self-fabricated comments were unnecessary and uncalled for. I'd just like to know why he has this strange interest in my boat search to the point he creates his own version about someone he has never even met. It's a bit odd, but those kinds of people are not uncommon on the Internet.

FWIW, I seriously began the boat search in May, 2013. Believe what you want, but that is fact.

As for your comment about what you think about needing prodding, there seems to be this belief by some that anyone considering buying a boat needs to do it immediately, if not sooner. And if they are taking longer than whatever that time frame is, someone needs to kick them in the butt and convince them to buy the boat. Why is that? What good does it do trying to push anyone into a boat purchase they may not even want to purchase?

As far as tdw needing to apologize to Wilson, I totally disagree. Wilson's comments were uncalled for and appeared to me to be derisive and petulant. tdw did the right thing in calling Wilson out on the carpet for that.

Knowing that there are the few here who are of the Eddie Haskell type personality and that they would attempt to hijack the thread with their own personal spin is exactly why I didn't share a step-by-step accounting of what was going on with this latest boat. What's the point of sharing that when you know the trolls will try to derail the thread? It's like trying to have an intelligent conversation with a teenager. It's just an exercise in futility.

But I do need to add that despite the trolls, I have learned a lot about the boat buying process from many very helpful members here and for that I am truly thankful. I no longer feel lost and in fact feel confident I can proceed with the search and on through to the sale without needing any more questions answered. That's pretty cool and it says a lot for the fine members here.

To those of you who have been so helpful, thank you all.
Old 10-11-2013
Stowaway

juliekristine is on a distinguished road

I've shown Julie some Rassey's and Najad's just to drive her, and everyone on the forum nuts!

I like the idea, that your boat will not limit your aspirations. Sure, if you're looking for a fun little weekender, buy it. If you're considering buyuing a boat that can cruise down the Eastern seaboard, or over to the Bahamas it's not too much a stretch to begin looking at blue water boats like Swans or Hallberg Rasseys.

I understand you can cross the Gulf or sail the North Sea in a rowboat or bathtub. It takes, however, a higher degree of luck and seamanship. Boats like the one Julie was considering up your chances in a very unpredictable and harsh environment.
Old 10-11-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Julie, Have you seen the Peterson 44 TRIO that's been posted here before?

1979 Kelly-Peterson 44 for Sale - Home
Closed Thread