Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Almost!

Scott,
As I said ... (edited)
Quote:
If James were to come on here, withdraw his comments as being a bit of a gag that was meant to be harmless fun then I would withdraw mine.
Its that simple. I'm more than happy to withdraw with that one condition and I have sent James a PM to that effect.

Of course I hasten to add that in my original post I did say IF. My purpose was for him to clarify that he was joking and not being deliberately offensive. Valid action for a moderator I would have thought.

PRWG ...... OffTopic, Politics Religion War Government, aka The Sewer. We do allow a hell of a lot more latitude in the sewer but that does not extent to the Sailing related forums.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-12-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not much for crying, but there are a half gallon of margaritas that need to be finished before I shut down the fridges this weekend.
Careful! I've traveled great distances for less.
Old 10-12-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My purpose was for him to clarify that he was joking and not being deliberately offensive.
I would think the smiley face would evidence the spirit it was intended. I also interpret the remark as having a point which I expanded upon and received a response from the originator of this thread that if not directly calling me an Eddie Haskell type/troll at least lumping me into the category. I asked the poster for a clarification and have not received a response despite the poster having posted twice since that time.

Quote:
Politics Religion War Government
I do do not understand your reference to PRWG (thank you for enlightening me) since it is not relevant to any of the topics listed.

Quote:
Valid action for a moderator I would have thought.
I would have thought name calling would be a primary concern for moderation but you have ignored my reference to it in my last post so am wondering about what appears to be the arbitrary nature of your authority.
Old 10-12-2013
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

Julie,
Take your time, the right boat will sing to you! I remember looking at many, many boats over a zillion weekends, the broker was very patient but he was probably thinking to himself: "are these people going to actually buy anything?"
When we found our boat, it was in the right price range, in very good condition and more importantly, did not have previous owners that did a lot of retro-fitting allowing me to customize it to my liking.
I agree about the karma of the situation, it's gotta feel right to you and no one else, especially here on SN!
Cheers,
Tom
JulieMor likes this.
Tartan 37-C, #59
Old 10-12-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I think you are putting a spin on my comment that is not warranted.
Sorry, that was not intended. All I took from your post is that you believed Wilson was not out of line in making his posts and tdw owed him an apology. I strongly disagree with both points. If in fact that was your intent.

Quote:
I am suggesting (for your benefit) you might be looking for a perfect boat that might not exist and maybe getting bogged down and as a consequence you are delaying your goal. I think this is evidenced by it being nearly a 1/2 of year since you began your quest.
I appreciate your concern. But I'd like to add, and please don't be offended by this, I'm a big girl and perfectly capable of knowing what's in my best interest and what boat I may want to buy. And again I'll add, there are many people here to helped me gain the knowledge that gives me that confidence and I am truly appreciative.

As for the time, if you ask around, you'll find many people took a lot longer than 6 months before buying. Some have been looking for years. To each their own. Live and let live.

Quote:
I think this was also the point James was making though not necessarily the way I would have made it. But I do not recall having read posts by him that were mean spirited and so I did not take it that way. If that is the case then, after tdw's call for an apology, I think tdw should apologise for making the assumption.
I have read many of those kind of posts by Wilson. And that's why I support tdw's decision to call Wilson out on the carpet. He's a moderator and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt he known the characters here better than most. If we allow a smiley face to get someone off the hook for trolling or flaming, every troll would be having a field day here.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you Eddie Haskell/troll labels were directed at me. If it was then I would ask you to back that with supporting evidence. I think you would have trouble. I am confident I have only commented on subjects brought up in the threads. If the not directed at me then there is the implication by association that I find unfair. Regardless I don't think labels or name calling belong on this forum.
No, I was not lumping you in with them. I was defining these people and attempting to explain there is a history of them engaging in trolling here. That explanation simply followed your quote. No intentions to label you or include you with them.

Quote:
Lastly, I wish you well on your boat purchasing endeavour and hope it comes to a conclusion sooner rather than later.
Thank you Scott.
Old 10-12-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Knowing that there are the few here who are of the Eddie Haskell type personality and that they would attempt to hijack the thread with their own personal spin is exactly why I didn't share a step-by-step accounting of what was going on with this latest boat. What's the point of sharing that when you know the trolls will try to derail the thread? It's like trying to have an intelligent conversation with a teenager. It's just an exercise in futility.

But I do need to add that despite the trolls, I have learned a lot about the boat buying process from many very helpful members here and for that I am truly thankful. I no longer feel lost and in fact feel confident I can proceed with the search and on through to the sale without needing any more questions answered. That's pretty cool and it says a lot for the fine members here.

To those of you who have been so helpful, thank you all.
So you want to have a public discussion but only with those who give you opinions you agree with?

I'm with Scott-UK...I don't see what there is about jw29's post that is so offensive that it warranted deletion or public spanking by a mod. Perhaps he was off in his estimate of the duration of your boat search. So what? I have read your threads regarding your boat search and if required to answer a multiple choice question about how long you've been searching without doing a thread search I would have not have answered 5 months...seems like longer. And thread searching on SN is futile.

His $10 comment was with respect to posts about buying a boat...not your characterization.

Mods get involved in posts for a couple of reasons (that I am aware of)...they stumble on them and think they are beyond the pale or they get reported.

If it was reported then someone needs to grow an epidermal layer.

And...de-railing the thread? I thought this thread was a chapter in your continuing story about looking for a boat to buy. jw29's comment was just another paragraph in that story.

Maybe he's not familiar with Myers-Briggs indicators and doesn't know how to deal with...I would guess...an ENFP?

(Raising a Fuzzy shield here.)
Old 10-12-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...I support tdw's decision to call Wilson out on the carpet. He's a moderator and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt...
Heh...good luck with that...

He don't need no stinking benefit of the doubt...he's megalomaniacal. Said so himself. And I believe that everything he says is true.

Oops...forgot this...
Old 10-12-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As for the time, if you ask around, you'll find many people took a lot longer than 6 months before buying. Some have been looking for years. To each their own. Live and let live.
My point has been that it comes at a cost.

Quote:
He's a moderator and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt he known the characters here better than most.
I'm not sure about having to give him the 'benefit of a doubt' as he might not be carrying out his task in a forthright fashion. I really don't know but I will question his comments,
as in this particular case, just as I would anybody else.

Quote:
I was not lumping you in with them.
Clarification much appreciated.

Lastly I would like to leave you with a quote from Carl Lane:

'You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch.'
Old 10-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We took the broker contract, removed all the broker stuff and agreed on a few modifications. No attorneys. It was pretty basic but covered us both to a point. I did add that if the owner backed out we'd be reimbursed for our costs, though I never expected that to actually happen.

When the owner asked to be let out of the contract, I immediately thought "no way!" But this silly thought entered my brain. The sale has to be something both want or it will be a bad omen. Told you it was silly. But it goes back to when my dad bought his boat and immediately changed the name. I heard over and over, "You can't change a boat's name or bad luck will follow." Several months later the boat was sitting on the bottom of the Chicago River. But really, I knew I would never feel right about forcing the guy to sell. So I let it go. Maybe along the line we gained some friends.

And yes, I did share this experience here. But I was pretty rattled. I think I was just looking for a shoulder to cry on. That boat took my breath away!
The last thing you want to do is start your boat ownership with bad Karma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Appreciate the advice but have and will continue to breathe normally.

The tone of your post could be construed as snide. Should I deem it unacceptable and call for a retraction?

Not sure what the acronym PRWG stands for.

As I wrote above I took the comment as a cheeky way of warning about becoming a tire kicker. The point I made above was that searching for the perfect boat can incur cost.

I note your silence as to what might be considered name calling as stated in my previous post above which could be construed as acceptance to this type of behaviour. I think this could call into question your acceptable/unacceptable standards.

Sorry but at this time I don't think you merit inclusion into my dreams. Maybe after we get to know each other better.
Scott - you REALLY need to go into PRWG - there are a few comments you need to hear that aren't kosher in the sailing forums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Closed Thread