SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Almost! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/104594-almost.html)

JulieMor 10-10-2013 01:02 PM

Almost!

We took a turn in our boat search. My SO was smitten by the bluewater boats, so we decided to free up some funds and find a boat that we could enjoy more than work on, and take anywhere, when that time came.

We found a gorgeous 44' Swan in beautiful shape through a friend of a friend. It wasn't listed, so we were the first to look at it. We made the trip, made an offer and it was accepted and did the survey. Everything was set to finalize the deal. My heart was fibrillating with excitement! Then we got the call from the owner. He wanted to keep the boat. :(

We talked for over an hour. In the end I realized he really loved this boat (can't blame him!) and once the deal was all but done, he got seller's remorse. It didn't hurt that his wife saw how much he loved the boat and agreed to keeping it, as long as we were okay with that. It was hard to let go but we did. I just couldn't buy the boat by forcing the man to honor the contract. BTW, he's reimbursing us for the survey and travel expenses. Once we get that, we'll tear up the contract.

The search goes on...

Faster 10-10-2013 01:32 PM

Re: Almost!

Too bad.. clearly the guy's a class act - refunding your costs like that is pretty rare...

CalebD 10-10-2013 01:39 PM

So close, yet...

a fine choice it was

Too bad.

jimgo 10-10-2013 01:53 PM

It sucks, but you're building up good karma. At least you (hopefully) won't be out anything other than time. And, who knows, maybe he'll have a friend of a friend who wants to sell...

Captainmeme 10-10-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1102415)
Don't worry, you have only been looking for 3 or 4 years...:p

Yea, some of us have been looking all our life.

Minnewaska 10-10-2013 02:07 PM

You pulled the trigger, signed a contract, had a survey done and never said a word?

azguy 10-10-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1102397)
.. clearly the guy's a class act - refunding your costs like that is pretty rare...

Class act...??? I think he did the minimum required by law....make someone pay $1,000's in expenses and just pull the deal off the table. It was the right thing to do...

Minnewaska 10-10-2013 05:16 PM

Even an older version of the Swan 44 has to be a six figure boat.

ctl411 10-10-2013 06:41 PM

Not everyone needs to own a boat and a lot that have them should not. Yes she is taking a long time and may never buy. I sold a boat and bought a new one in less time than she has been looking. But I have owned many boats and like owning them plus I'm not looking for that "perfect" boat. That is a unrealistic goal for a boat, none are perfect. I still like her posts, not all good questions or ideas have to come from "owners".

tdw 10-10-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1102477)
Julie's boat search has stretched credibility in multiple ways...

If I had $10 for every one of Julie's posts about buying a boat, I could retire now!:)

James,
Unless you were being deliberately offensive that post was borderline. Yes I saw the smiley but even so. Questionable. Of course if you were being deliberately offensive then you owe Julie an apology not simply a clarification.