Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004

GreggRuch is on a distinguished road
Mason 43

I am looking at buying a Mason43, but know very little about them outside of the general infomation on the web. I am looking for any information or advice on things that might be a problem with this model of boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Mason 43

Gregg, there is a universe of comment that can be made about a Mason 43, given its size, systems, traditional looks, and so forth. Here are just a couple of things to consider...

Have you ever lived with a boat that has its engine in the bilge? Changed alternators, raw water impellers, etc.? And how does that engine get good ventilation, month after month, while living down there? This isn''t an impossible (or with some designs, uncommon) situation, but it surely isn''t optimum. When next aboard a 43, ask them if you can see the engine, scrunch down on your belly, ''assume the position'' and see how you feel about some of the basic maintenance chores you''ll be doing and how feasible they seem to be for you.

A 43 is an awfully heavy boat. It''s also roomy and looks very ''traditional'' and so forth...but do you really need a 16-17 ton boat to muscle around (before you starting loading her out for extended cruising)?

Take a few moments while in the cockpit, sit down somewhere (in fact, lots of ''somewheres''), step off and look at the cockpit from the dock...and then see if I''m overstating it when I say it must be the least ergonomic, most dysfunctional cockpit on the market. (Yes, I probably am overstating it a bit...if only given some of the other monstrosities out there). Where''s the weather protection? How comfy are those backrests? (What backrests?) Friends of ours have been cruising in a 43 in N Europe for several years now, and we really admire them. To think about taking a F7 blow in the English Channel, in that cockpit while doing a 2-day passage, tells us they must REALLY be hardy! We''ll pass, thank you...

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook