SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   220 buccaneer (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/10479-220-buccaneer.html)

LDH 09-21-2004 07:49 AM

220 buccaneer
 
I’m looking for a sailboat to be used in the inland lakes in my area. And I have never owned a sailboat or really sailed one.
So far I have looked at a couple of 1979 220 Buccaneer’s. People seem to love them or hate them. Is the boat of poor design or build?
One of them looks to be in exceptionally good condition. New paint, interior, hardware, etc. But if it is of poor design I guess my search will go on.

Lennie

rick_draper@juno.com 08-15-2014 01:01 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
Lennie - I have a Buccaneer 220. I am very happy with it. It sails really close to point well, it is very stabil and reasonably comfortable for fiberglass. Mine is the racing model - which has the shorter keel. I find that this makes it handle better with a bit more speed than it does in a gentle breeze. I think the longer keel would change this, but I prefer to run fast and Lake Superior usually has good wind. As to popularity, I have had a number of people come up to me because they used to have one. I think every one of them wished they had it back!

Morild 08-15-2014 02:39 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
1 Attachment(s)
I don't know this type of boat, but seems to be looking a lot like the Granada 23 from Denmark.
The Granada 23 sails very well.
Have attached a picture of one.

kd3pc 08-15-2014 06:42 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDH (Post 44822)
Is the boat of poor design or build?
One of them looks to be in exceptionally good condition. New paint, interior, hardware, etc. But if it is of poor design I guess my search will go on.

Lennie

Actually, it is both. They were one of the first, be everything boats, cheap, roomy, sails well, etc. All of those compromises gave us a boat that was merely OK. The build quality was hit or miss, at best.

This boat was a knock off of the columbia 23, which was a decent boat, btw....the buccaneer not so much....they were built by Bayliner (not a quality power boat, either) as a way of staying in business when gas prices rose so quickly. Didn't work and they went away. US Yachts, not the one in business now, made a few of them late in the game and they were better built, to a degree.

As far as a lake boat, they can be fun, but check it out thoroughly, or take someone with you or pay a surveyor a couple of hours. The repairs to a wet one can easily surpass the value, no matter what you pay for it.

Better boats out there, but as always, YMMV and there are a lot of people who like them.

sonosail 08-17-2014 05:03 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kd3pc (Post 2101313)
Actually, it is both. They were one of the first, be everything boats, cheap, roomy, sails well, etc. All of those compromises gave us a boat that was merely OK. The build quality was hit or miss, at best.

This boat was a knock off of the columbia 23, which was a decent boat, btw....the buccaneer not so much....they were built by Bayliner (not a quality power boat, either) as a way of staying in business when gas prices rose so quickly. Didn't work and they went away. US Yachts, not the one in business now, made a few of them late in the game and they were better built, to a degree.

As far as a lake boat, they can be fun, but check it out thoroughly, or take someone with you or pay a surveyor a couple of hours. The repairs to a wet one can easily surpass the value, no matter what you pay for it.

Better boats out there, but as always, YMMV and there are a lot of people who like them.

But wait. This is the Buccaneer 220 your talking about?
Pretty sure the Buccaneer 220 is a Gary Mull design. Nothing to do with a Columbia 23.

RB

SloopJonB 08-17-2014 07:03 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
Sono is right - Mull design, actually a variation on the Ranger 22 design. Bayliner "quality" is as described, US yacht not a lot better but lets keep in mind we're talking about a 22' here, not a blue water boat. I've personally never heard of anyone dying on a sinking B-22.

DGA 08-17-2014 07:05 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rick_draper@juno.com (Post 2100273)
Lennie - I have a Buccaneer 220. I am very happy with it. It sails really close to point well, it is very stabil and reasonably comfortable for fiberglass. Mine is the racing model - which has the shorter keel. I find that this makes it handle better with a bit more speed than it does in a gentle breeze. I think the longer keel would change this, but I prefer to run fast and Lake Superior usually has good wind. As to popularity, I have had a number of people come up to me because they used to have one. I think every one of them wished they had it back!

You DO know that this is a 10 year old post don't you?

SloopJonB 08-17-2014 09:33 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
Apparently not. :o

Anyway, he'd been waiting long enough for an answer.

socal c25 08-17-2014 11:36 PM

Re: 220 buccaneer
 
I love grave diggers..... diggin' up old posts. A walk down memory lane


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012