220 buccaneer - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-21-2004 Thread Starter
LDH
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
220 buccaneer

Iím looking for a sailboat to be used in the inland lakes in my area. And I have never owned a sailboat or really sailed one.
So far I have looked at a couple of 1979 220 Buccaneerís. People seem to love them or hate them. Is the boat of poor design or build?
One of them looks to be in exceptionally good condition. New paint, interior, hardware, etc. But if it is of poor design I guess my search will go on.

Lennie
LDH is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-15-2014
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Eagle Harbor, MI
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: 220 buccaneer

Lennie - I have a Buccaneer 220. I am very happy with it. It sails really close to point well, it is very stabil and reasonably comfortable for fiberglass. Mine is the racing model - which has the shorter keel. I find that this makes it handle better with a bit more speed than it does in a gentle breeze. I think the longer keel would change this, but I prefer to run fast and Lake Superior usually has good wind. As to popularity, I have had a number of people come up to me because they used to have one. I think every one of them wished they had it back!
rick_draper@juno.com is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2014
Member
 
Morild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Aabenraa, Denmark
Posts: 99
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: 220 buccaneer

I don't know this type of boat, but seems to be looking a lot like the Granada 23 from Denmark.
The Granada 23 sails very well.
Have attached a picture of one.
Attached Thumbnails
granada23.jpg  
Morild is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2014
Senior Member
 
kd3pc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Callao, VA
Posts: 1,389
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Re: 220 buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Is the boat of poor design or build?
One of them looks to be in exceptionally good condition. New paint, interior, hardware, etc. But if it is of poor design I guess my search will go on.

Lennie
Actually, it is both. They were one of the first, be everything boats, cheap, roomy, sails well, etc. All of those compromises gave us a boat that was merely OK. The build quality was hit or miss, at best.

This boat was a knock off of the columbia 23, which was a decent boat, btw....the buccaneer not so much....they were built by Bayliner (not a quality power boat, either) as a way of staying in business when gas prices rose so quickly. Didn't work and they went away. US Yachts, not the one in business now, made a few of them late in the game and they were better built, to a degree.

As far as a lake boat, they can be fun, but check it out thoroughly, or take someone with you or pay a surveyor a couple of hours. The repairs to a wet one can easily surpass the value, no matter what you pay for it.

Better boats out there, but as always, YMMV and there are a lot of people who like them.
kd3pc is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2014
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 72
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: 220 buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Actually, it is both. They were one of the first, be everything boats, cheap, roomy, sails well, etc. All of those compromises gave us a boat that was merely OK. The build quality was hit or miss, at best.

This boat was a knock off of the columbia 23, which was a decent boat, btw....the buccaneer not so much....they were built by Bayliner (not a quality power boat, either) as a way of staying in business when gas prices rose so quickly. Didn't work and they went away. US Yachts, not the one in business now, made a few of them late in the game and they were better built, to a degree.

As far as a lake boat, they can be fun, but check it out thoroughly, or take someone with you or pay a surveyor a couple of hours. The repairs to a wet one can easily surpass the value, no matter what you pay for it.

Better boats out there, but as always, YMMV and there are a lot of people who like them.
But wait. This is the Buccaneer 220 your talking about?
Pretty sure the Buccaneer 220 is a Gary Mull design. Nothing to do with a Columbia 23.

RB

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sonosail is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2014
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,615
Thanks: 60
Thanked 72 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: 220 buccaneer

Sono is right - Mull design, actually a variation on the Ranger 22 design. Bayliner "quality" is as described, US yacht not a lot better but lets keep in mind we're talking about a 22' here, not a blue water boat. I've personally never heard of anyone dying on a sinking B-22.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2014
DGA
Sailing newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: 220 buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_draper@juno.com View Post
Lennie - I have a Buccaneer 220. I am very happy with it. It sails really close to point well, it is very stabil and reasonably comfortable for fiberglass. Mine is the racing model - which has the shorter keel. I find that this makes it handle better with a bit more speed than it does in a gentle breeze. I think the longer keel would change this, but I prefer to run fast and Lake Superior usually has good wind. As to popularity, I have had a number of people come up to me because they used to have one. I think every one of them wished they had it back!
You DO know that this is a 10 year old post don't you?
DGA is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2014
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,615
Thanks: 60
Thanked 72 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: 220 buccaneer

Apparently not.

Anyway, he'd been waiting long enough for an answer.
DGA likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2014
69' Coronado 25
 
socal c25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 292
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Dock
Re: 220 buccaneer

I love grave diggers..... diggin' up old posts. A walk down memory lane

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
socal c25 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bayliner buccaneer sailboats homepage jollymonjeff Boat Review and Purchase Forum 16 10-03-2013 08:15 PM
bayliner buccaneer sailboats homepage jollymonjeff General Discussion (sailing related) 40 02-25-2012 03:03 PM
Ok... Ok... Buccaneer Advice needed Socalfive Boat Review and Purchase Forum 19 06-05-2010 05:21 PM
Buccaneer 29.5 (US Yachts) bootsy1962 General Discussion (sailing related) 6 03-27-2009 08:25 PM
Buccaneer 29 bootsy1962 General Discussion (sailing related) 6 06-15-2001 03:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome