Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004

LDH is on a distinguished road
220 buccaneer

Iím looking for a sailboat to be used in the inland lakes in my area. And I have never owned a sailboat or really sailed one.
So far I have looked at a couple of 1979 220 Buccaneerís. People seem to love them or hate them. Is the boat of poor design or build?
One of them looks to be in exceptionally good condition. New paint, interior, hardware, etc. But if it is of poor design I guess my search will go on.

Lennie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2014

rick_draper@juno.com is on a distinguished road
Re: 220 buccaneer

Lennie - I have a Buccaneer 220. I am very happy with it. It sails really close to point well, it is very stabil and reasonably comfortable for fiberglass. Mine is the racing model - which has the shorter keel. I find that this makes it handle better with a bit more speed than it does in a gentle breeze. I think the longer keel would change this, but I prefer to run fast and Lake Superior usually has good wind. As to popularity, I have had a number of people come up to me because they used to have one. I think every one of them wished they had it back!
Old 08-15-2014

Morild is on a distinguished road

I don't know this type of boat, but seems to be looking a lot like the Granada 23 from Denmark.
The Granada 23 sails very well.
Have attached a picture of one.
Attached Thumbnails
220 buccaneer-granada23.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Is the boat of poor design or build?
One of them looks to be in exceptionally good condition. New paint, interior, hardware, etc. But if it is of poor design I guess my search will go on.

Lennie
Actually, it is both. They were one of the first, be everything boats, cheap, roomy, sails well, etc. All of those compromises gave us a boat that was merely OK. The build quality was hit or miss, at best.

This boat was a knock off of the columbia 23, which was a decent boat, btw....the buccaneer not so much....they were built by Bayliner (not a quality power boat, either) as a way of staying in business when gas prices rose so quickly. Didn't work and they went away. US Yachts, not the one in business now, made a few of them late in the game and they were better built, to a degree.

As far as a lake boat, they can be fun, but check it out thoroughly, or take someone with you or pay a surveyor a couple of hours. The repairs to a wet one can easily surpass the value, no matter what you pay for it.

Better boats out there, but as always, YMMV and there are a lot of people who like them.
Old 08-17-2014

sonosail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Actually, it is both. They were one of the first, be everything boats, cheap, roomy, sails well, etc. All of those compromises gave us a boat that was merely OK. The build quality was hit or miss, at best.

This boat was a knock off of the columbia 23, which was a decent boat, btw....the buccaneer not so much....they were built by Bayliner (not a quality power boat, either) as a way of staying in business when gas prices rose so quickly. Didn't work and they went away. US Yachts, not the one in business now, made a few of them late in the game and they were better built, to a degree.

As far as a lake boat, they can be fun, but check it out thoroughly, or take someone with you or pay a surveyor a couple of hours. The repairs to a wet one can easily surpass the value, no matter what you pay for it.

Better boats out there, but as always, YMMV and there are a lot of people who like them.
But wait. This is the Buccaneer 220 your talking about?
Pretty sure the Buccaneer 220 is a Gary Mull design. Nothing to do with a Columbia 23.

RB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Sono is right - Mull design, actually a variation on the Ranger 22 design. Bayliner "quality" is as described, US yacht not a lot better but lets keep in mind we're talking about a 22' here, not a blue water boat. I've personally never heard of anyone dying on a sinking B-22.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-17-2014
Sailing newbie

DGA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_draper@juno.com View Post
Lennie - I have a Buccaneer 220. I am very happy with it. It sails really close to point well, it is very stabil and reasonably comfortable for fiberglass. Mine is the racing model - which has the shorter keel. I find that this makes it handle better with a bit more speed than it does in a gentle breeze. I think the longer keel would change this, but I prefer to run fast and Lake Superior usually has good wind. As to popularity, I have had a number of people come up to me because they used to have one. I think every one of them wished they had it back!
You DO know that this is a 10 year old post don't you?
Old 08-17-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Apparently not.

Anyway, he'd been waiting long enough for an answer.
DGA likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-17-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

I love grave diggers..... diggin' up old posts. A walk down memory lane

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.