Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer sailer

Hey Brad welcome

My truck is rated to tow 3500 lbs. In the real world the Catalina 22 we have, with gear on a trailer is all she can handle. I wish I could get a Cat 25, but I don't want to buy a heavy truck that gets 10 mpg. I think the 22 is okay for an overnight or two and its a lot of fun to sail. 5 hp pushes the boat at max hull speed, around 7 mph. Good luck
Old 10-27-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrad View Post
My budget would be around 15k at max. As for where id like to sail would be from Comox to Vancouver and down to Victoria and all the nice islands I have yet to vist inbetween.
West Wight Potter 19. Might be just about the perfect PNW trailer sailer.
https://sites.google.com/site/2001wwp19/

With your relatively light towing capacity, you are going to need a boat that has an "advertised" weight well under the limit. by the time you add gear, and an outboard, and fuel, and water and ... it doesn't take long to add another 500-750 lbs of stuff.

Because everything is smaller on a WWP 19 than a macgregor 22/25/26, setup goes faster- the mast goes up quicker, the stays and shroud installation and tensioning is quicker, and no water ballast to play with.Plus, it is short enough, with trailer to stroe IN the garage during the winter making it a whole lote easier to work on boat projects...and there are always boat projects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2013

bcbrad is on a distinguished road

If I can just as this one last question out of the most mentioned trailer sailers so far mentioned in the 19-24 foot range, what would you guy/gals personally pick for sailing accross the Stright of Georgia (my wife loves Vancouver, and we live on Vancouver island and im trying to enjoy it just was much) assuming that ive taken lession and somewhat exp. What would you feel most safe in....as it gets fairy windy here ? This answer would really help me in keeping my eye out for the correct boats when they come up for sale..ill be use to look at many type but I dont want to buy a M26 and then try to sail across and people look at me like I have a death wish lol

Last edited by bcbrad; 10-27-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I had a Catalina {Jaguar ] 22 Trailer sailer and happily stayed aboard with a friend for weekends. I have a few thoughts for you.

I am not sure I could have managed to raise a mast that was much bigger. Sure with three people it gets to be easier but with on or two I am not so sure.

Anything bigger than 20 ft a 4 wheel trailer is good. On any size having side guide poles makes things MUCH easier on recovery.

On 22 ft 6 to 8 hp is fine.

I would look for something that will resell easily as it is likely that if you get bitten you will want something different [bigger racy etc] after a couple of years.
Old 10-27-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrad View Post
...what would you guy/gals personally pick for sailing accross the Stright of Georgia (my wife loves Vancouver, and we live on Vancouver island and im trying to enjoy it just was much)...What would you feel most safe in....as it gets fairy windy here ?
As was mentioned above, MacGregors don't exactly have a great reputation for high build quality or high-end components. They build to a price point, and as long as you understand what that is, and your use case meets the build of the boat, then they can be fine. For example, if you live in Arizona and do mostly lake sailing, they can be a perfectly adequate choice. That being said, watch the video on this site:

http://www.macgregor26.com/index/gale_2_min.htm

That's a MacGregor 26 out in Southern California in gale force winds. There's a common saying here, that the boat will outlast the crew, and I think that video helps prove the point. Now, would I want to cross an ocean in a Mac26? No. Wouldn't want to do it in a stock Catalina 25 either. There are too many things that can go wrong, and with the risk of being exposed to REALLY nasty weather for several days in a row without being able to seek shelter, those just aren't the boats I'd pick. That being said, it's nice to know that even a boat with purportedly poor/mediocre build quality can survive being in those conditions for a while.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with your proposed sailing area. That looks like a big body of water, though, so I can see how the wind could build depending on the direction. Of course, you're smart enough not to intentionally go out in really nasty weather, so what you're looking at is a boat that can take a beating from a freak storm that might come up. I think most boats will meet those needs. But, if you want a good barometer, look on Kajiji or eBay for the boats that are for sale in your area and in your desired size range. The ones that you frequently see for sale will PROBABLY be fine for your intended use. In my area, that's the Catalina 22-30, and some Hunters, O'Days, and Irwins. Once I identified those, I read the owner review forums (here and on other sites), and helped affirm that the boat I was looking at (the C25) would keep my family and me safe, and she did. She even survived a hurricane. Or at least she would have, if the tugboat hadn't sunken in the slip next to us and listed into our slip.
TJC45 likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2013
gts1544

gts1544 is on a distinguished road

bcbrad, Let me approach this from a little different tack! My feeling is that your tow vehicle's limitations vs your intended usage for the boat are at odds. I have read all of the posts and there is much good advice contained within. My question is whether you want to sail with your life partner or NOT! If she is already not kindly disposed toward the water, you need to make her feel safe and COMFORTABLE. I doubt that it's going to happen in a really small boat. Something that you need to understand is that interior space in a sailboat increases geometrically with an increase in length. Example: a well designed 25' boat will have twice the interior space of a 21 footer. Think female ie: her nest! Comfort and safety. A decent galley and toilet arrangements! Get her involved in the boat search. I assure you that she will have perspectives that have never occurred to you. Recommendations: At least a 25' boat / decent galley with counter space / enclosed head with pressure hand shower / foldable dodger for spray protection / tow vehicle capable of 6000 lbs (older Chevy Suburban with lots of carrying space) / tandem trailer with brakes, tongue extension & keel guide. Plan on trips of several days unless you spring for moorage due to the set up / tear down time mentioned. Give the wife sailing lessons to get her involved at the outset. "Ain't Momma happy, ain't nobody happy!" Best of Luck! You've got a beautiful area of the world to sail in! George
DRFerron, bljones and joebeach like this.
Old 10-28-2013

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

Sailing across the Strait of Georgia in a trailerable sailboat? I'm going to second the recommendation of gts1544 that "you're going to need a bigger boat!" My recommendation is based not just on comfort, but also on the conditions you will encounter should your sailing take you across the Straits of Georgia, Haro, and/or San Juan de Fuca. There are some challenging tides/currents in the region, and I would favor an inboard diesel over an outboard hanging off the transom that is typical of trailerable boats. (Working against a strong current in boxy waves with the prop cavitating is not a desirable situation, an inboard is going to keep the prop underwater.) Also, I'd prefer a fin keel and some real ballast - and both make trailering - launching - retrieving difficult. If I were to pick an ideal boat for these conditions it would be an Islander 28, a C & C 27 or 29, or a Cal or Ericson of the same length. And those boats are not trailerable - they belong in a slip.

If your ambitions are a bit more modest - like daysailing and occasional weekending, rather than venturing all around the PNW - and you are committed to trailering, I would look at the Compac Eclipse or Horizon Cat for the simple reason that it is so easy to raise and lower the mast. Put an extra-long shaft outboard on the transom; Tohatsu makes them under several brand names. (I've seen some Horizon Cats advertised with inboard diesels, but on newer and therefore $$$ boats.) These are well-made boats that are comfortable, stable, and easy to manage.
Old 10-28-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
No. Mac = McGregor motor sailers are a love hate thing. Not a true sailboat not a true power boat. But they have a cult like group of owners that love them.
Not totally true. The Macs are mostly NOT powersailers, most models are standard sailboats up until after the 26S.

Don't reject Macs because the current models are powersailers. The 25 is in the American Sailboat Hall of Fame in fact.

Sorry, but I have to call this out as it seems to be repeated on here constantly. Mac does not necessarily = No.

EDIT: I went back and read the whole thread and of course this is sorta covered. I just wanted to say that my family of 4 uses a M25 exactly as you want and it is a great boat for it. We will be doing coastal cruising with it this summer and I have little concern. This is the use it was intended for after all.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 10-28-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I think you were being a bit too quick to judge. In Denise's defense, the OP mentioned a Mac with a 50HP engine. Do any of the non-powersailers have 50HP engines? Where in this thread, except for the comments about the powersailers, has anyone said outright NOT to buy a Mac? As the owner of a Mac 25, would YOU recommend the powersailer to any/everyone?

Even in the part that you quoted, if you read in the punctuation that I believe Denise intended (we all make typos here), I think what she was saying was:

Quote:
No. Mac = McGregor. Motor sailers [again, implied by the OP's reference to a 50HP engine] are a love hate thing. Not a true sailboat not a true power boat. But they have a cult like group of owners that love them
How does "cult like group of owners that love them" equate to Mac = no?
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 10-28-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Not judging, just clarifying. I read the post, he asked about seeing 50HP outboards and asked about the relative safety between that and a 9.9. He could be seeing both M26S and X or Ms and that would be very confusing at first. I was clarifying that the model needs to be specific to determine what is being discussed. When a person new to the sport hears very general negative information regarding a brand it needs to be specific as they might not know the context. Other brands have been in this situation, Tartan and Hunter comes to mind. When the OP is new, I think giving as specific info as possible without being verbose (way too late for me as usual) helps. I know it did for me when I started.

Just as an aside, I think this is one of the reasons for the popularity of the "Interesting Sailboats" thread. It is very specific and detailed and encourages that from its participants. PCP does a great job of keeping details accurate to prevent confusion.

And the cult thing wasn't what I was referring to in general. But, have someone refer to something you love as "cult" and some may not consider it a compliment.

Sorry if I seemed too sharp but I hope Denise will forgive. I just knew that when I was new and asking questions, many responses assumed base knowledge that I didn't have and I had to "unlearn" some "facts" that I had picked up.

Here are some smiles just to keep things happy

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 10-28-2013 at 11:17 PM.