Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Purchase an ex charter boat

I have seen a few Moorings boats as they come out of charter and I would be happy buying one of those.

A boat that comes out a third tier charter company will be an altogether different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Mark - can you comment on your layout? From what it seems in your pictures, the 393 you have is *NOT* the standard charter configuration with the longitudinal galley. You look like you have the "owners edition" which is the 2 cabin model rather than 3 cabin.

My opposition to charters is mostly due to the fact that they cram in the cabins and heads into the boat. For example, I own a 343 2 cabin model. The same boat in charter (named the Beneteau 350) is 3 cabins with a very small head. Thats a lot to cram into a 34/35 foot boat.
Old 10-28-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Mark - can you comment on your layout? From what it seems in your pictures, the 393 you have is *NOT* the standard charter configuration with the longitudinal galley. You look like you have the "owners edition" which is the 2 cabin model rather than 3 cabin.

My opposition to charters is mostly due to the fact that they cram in the cabins and heads into the boat. For example, I own a 343 2 cabin model. The same boat in charter (named the Beneteau 350) is 3 cabins with a very small head. Thats a lot to cram into a 34/35 foot boat.
Then you don't have "opposition to charters" you have oposition to 3 cabin configurations in 35 footer. Or, 5 cabins in 50 footers.

Just go find a boat with the configuration you want.... and buy it.

Mine is a 2 cabin version of the 393 and has the U galley

My layout. Where the other 393 layout is with 2 aft cabins and the longitudinal galley.

Remember a cabin can be converted from sleeping use to a store room, either temporaly or permanetly.

If I wanted a 50 footer with 5 cabins I would remove the partition in the forward cabin (yes, it can be done easily) and block one of the heads and remove the fittings and make storage.
I belive that one can NOT convert a 2 aft cabin configuration to 1 large aft cabin on the 393, 423 or 473 unless theres a fair bit of work.

I do agree with you that there won't be any 2 cabin 50 or 54 footers in charter fleets.... but thats what I would *love* for a single handing, or couples long range cruiser.

Below is some links to Sunsail where they show 36 footers, 38 and 393's in 2 cabin versions. So they are there.

Sunsail 38 - 2 Cabin Monohull Yacht | Sunsail USA
Sunsail Oceanis 393 - 2 Cabin Monohull Yacht | Sunsail USA
Sunsail 36i - 2 Cabin Monohull Yacht | Sunsail USA
Sunsail Oceanis 373 - 2 Cabin Monohull Yacht | Sunsail USA
Even a 41 footer in 2 cabins
Sunsail Odyssey 41 DS - 2 Cabin Monohull Yacht | Sunsail USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
All I put on mine was clothes, a dinghy and a girlfriend.
Well thanks for that complete answer.

Since it is a popular model it should be easy to sell also.

Sadly I can't do what you did because all I have is a wife.
Old 10-28-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I'm surprised that the charterers carry "owner edition" low cabin count models.
Old 10-28-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Mark, That's a beautiful boat, I love the layout.

You're my idol
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 10-28-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
To be honest, I'm surprised that the charterers carry "owner edition" low cabin count models.
Don't be. As long as it meets Survey requirements, charterers carry whatever the local market (and the boat's owners themselves) are asking for.

Very often charter yachts are purchased by people who simply can't otherwise afford to own a brand-new luxury yacht and see chartering as a good way to help pay for it and maintain it in the hope that, once it's paid its way, they can take it out of the charterer's hands and have it all to themselves - only to find out after a year or two that their lifestyle has changed and they need to sell it instead...

....to people like Mark.
davidpm and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-28-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

One can also charter multiple types and styles of yachts too. The Maltese falcon is charter able, IIRC at about 100K USD per week! includes crew etc too!

Even full bore 100' wally race boats are available to charter! for one race here and there. A local crew chartered a boat for cowes week in England. Long ways from Seattle mind you! Folks from across the globe can go to some World Sailing championships, and will charter/rent a 1d boat local from someone too! Lots of boats are available to charter for and in different reasons shapes and forms. Not all of them are cruise style boats! I'd bet one can get the QEII for a week if one really wanted it!

Marty
Old 10-29-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Since it is a popular model it should be easy to sell also.
Branding is important on the re-sale market. I was buying in the Caribbean with a view to selling in Australia. If its a brand nver heard of 'down under' it would be difficult to sell. But one where its known may sell at a premium.

Also the liquidity of the market is important. If 5 are sold per year in one country then to sell mine 'immediately' all I have to do is have the lowest price and it should be sold in 2 months.

Buying ex-charter isnt perfect. Perfect, for me, is buying brand new lickerty-split with all the options, air and fluffy dice. But if buying the reality has let me retire earlier and sail the world then, for me, it was the right thing to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
..... I'd bet one can get the QEII for a week if one really wanted it!
Actually, no you couldn't.

IIRC she's parked in Dubai awaiting an extensive dry-dock refit and refurbishment in China before becoming a floating hotel. One of many victims of SOLAS2010.

QE2 Cunard ms Queen Elizabeth 2 Ship Location, News, Dubai-SingaporeQueen Elizabeth Cruises

Last edited by Classic30; 10-29-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.