Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Purchase an ex charter boat

Dang it, I have a big party for ALL the sailnet folks I know, I was going to rent her for a week to have the party on, well, I guess no party for sailnet folks! oh well.......

Maybe there is a QE3 or some other equal.......hmmmmmmm......... I really want to have this party, may be the only way to meet mr smackers, or hartley or ...........

Marty
Classic30 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Been very happy with our 2000 Beneteau 505 that we bought 5 years ago. The original owner was Moorings (not someone else leasing to Moorings, apparently). The 2nd owner added a dodger and dinghy davits. We are the third.

During the pre-purchase survey, the surveyor and I looked carefully for any hard landings against the dock, but everything looked fantastic. Basically, we know it was in the charter fleet and could focus the survey accordingly.

As Mark suggested, the wall between the two front staterooms was already removed when we bought her. And we use one of the heads as a closet. Been thinking about putting a washer/dryer combination unit in there instead. (At CruisingDad's suggestion, I bought a true sine wave inverter so it could run a washer while on the hook.)

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Been very happy with our 2000 Beneteau 505 that we bought 5 years ago. The original owner was Moorings (not someone else leasing to Moorings, apparently). The 2nd owner added a dodger and dinghy davits. We are the third.
Wow it has been five years already.
Yours was the only success story I knew about but now this thread a spotlighted several more.
Old 10-30-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Yours was the only success story I knew about but now this thread a spotlighted several more.
Actually, David, there's probably more successes than failures I think you'll find.. Simply because people know it's a charter boat and thus know exactly what it has been used (or abused) for, where it has gone and how well (or otherwise) it's been looked after.

That isn't the case with your usual yacht purchase.
Old 10-30-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

My thought on charter boats, never having owned one, but worked on them when they were first bought from the charter companies, is that the regular maintenance was almost always up to snuff. Engine oil was changed, tranny oil was changed, electrical bugs fixed, ect... And often there were maintenance logs for all of it going back to break in, since the charter companies treat their boats like a long haul trucking company do. They are huge investments and maintenance needs to be done, and quality maintained.

What I tended to find in poor shape were the 'soft' systems. Sails were often in bad shape, lines were up for replacement, cushions were worn (generally the foam would be due for replacement), the interior wood was due for varnishing. Every boat was different, but generally there was never anything that would keep the boat from leaving the dock, but a lot of things showing wear. Some new owners wanted it all redone which could be expensive, others didn't care and just wanted a mechanical refresh.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
others didn't care and just wanted a mechanical refresh.
What did the mechanical refresh entail?
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
What did the mechanical refresh entail?
The same thing most new owners want for a boat they just bought. Oil changes, tranny changes, steering cables checked, fuel polished, ect... Just the things that it's good to have a baseline on before starting your dream.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
fuel polished, ect...
Most people here on the Long Island Sound do not polish their fuel.

Is it required for some reason in other places?
Old 10-31-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Most people here on the Long Island Sound do not polish their fuel.

Is it required for some reason in other places?
Probably because the fuel around here is of good quality. Otherwise we'd hear about polishing more.

When I used to fly airplanes a lot, I was surprised that the a fill-up at the Atlantic City airport resulted in a pint of water in the fuel tank -- enough to kill the engine right after take-off, a very bad thing. Found out later that because of their old, buried storage tank and a high water table, this was a common thing at that airport.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 10-31-2013

My last fill up we took on 100 gallons of gas and 20 gallons of water and sludge. From the busiest fuel dock in the area. We got the last drop of fuel they had. It took a month, but they finally agreed to pay to have the fuel tanks drained, cleaned, and refilled. The only reason they agreed was we had the tanks polished two months before...

It's been a bad year for us and boat fuel.