Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Purchase an ex charter boat

I never really gave it much thought before figuring they would be all used up and beat to death.

The guy I just helped move his boat however was not so negative.
He said that the first tier guys had so many boats that they sold them after about 3-4 years at very good prices.

His idea was that the sails and cushions would have to be replaced but that the rest of the boat was very well maintained.

His source was watching the charters boats the last two years while he was in the islands.

My thinking is that even if he is right any money you save up front would be lost and then some on the sale.

I know one guy who did very well on an ex charter boat but he bought it from the bank so he got it for a lot less than getting it from the charter broker.

Do you know of anyone making out well on purchasing an ex charter boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Purchase an ex charter boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Yes. It does happen - but you need to know the area it's been sailed in (ie. how many hazards exist within the charter boundary and what to look for if they've hit one and not said anything) and the reputation of the charter company on maintenance.

Charter boats have also often been slightly modified for survey - such modifications not always to everyone's liking, so there are costs involved to convert back.. otherwise, he's correct.

If you do your homework it's a good way to get a newish luxury yacht for less money than you would pay otherwise for the same boat.

(Disclaimer: I don't own a plastic boat, nor do I like very many of the current charter offerings..)

Last edited by Classic30; 10-28-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Disclaimer added
Old 10-28-2013

Jabberwock is on a distinguished road

I know a guy whose mother knows a guy who bought one :-). We went sailing with him in the San Francisco bay one day and he seemed to like his boat. In fact it doubled for his house. I don’t even remember what she was, but it stated with an M, was a center cockpit, was a ketch and was 50 feet long. There were a few things on this boat that annoyed me a lot. First off it didn’t go to wind hardly at all. This might have been due to old sails but the end result was with the current in the bay and the boat not pointing well we ended up changing our plans. Second I discovered I hated the fact that the main winches were behind me and every time I needed do something with them I had to twist around then look back the other way at the same time. Then there was of course one more sail to deal with. I suppose all these things are less of an annoyance if you are going long distances but I wouldn’t know about that.

This guy was experienced. He had a 100 ton captain’s license (or some such) but even he seemed apprehensive that day. He hadn’t taken the boat out in over a year. He warned us that should the boat look like it was going to hit to dock do not try to push off because it could crush us easily. I imagine that was good advice. In any case that pretty much convinced me that I don’t want to own a big heavy boat.
Old 10-28-2013

LaurenceU is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LaurenceU

I bought a share in a Bavaria Match 42 which used to be in charter in Croatia. If you'd have asked 6 months ago I'd have said I dont want a share boat and wouldn't be interested in an ex charter vessel. However I was just trawling through for sale listings online and this opportunity attracted me. I met the owner and agreed to take 25% share sight unseen. The yacht is in excellent condition and I have absolutely no regrets. Sailed last northern summer from Crete up to Split and then back down to Dubrovnik where I've her now for the winter.
While cruising in Greece, met a young Australian guy who also had a Match 42 which he had also bought from the same Croatian charter company. His yacht was a bit tired but still not bad condition. He was heading west with plans to go the long way back to Australia. Completely happy with his purchase. Maybe there are some regretful tales out there - but not from me
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 10-28-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've circumnavigated on mine.

They are great. No one has ever got on my boat and said: "oh, I see its an ex-charter boat".

The sails were fine, the genoa lasted the whole circ, the main 20,000nms; engine never had a problem; had to change the O rings in the jabsco toilets...

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
davidpm (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty against ex-charter boats mostly because of the altered layouts (crammed full of cabins and heads). Not to mention the cost of replacing pumps, hoses, cushions/soft goods, etc. However, due to the global recession, it seems like the charter boats coming out of service in 2013/2014/2015 tend to have *HALF* the engine hours that most boats in charter have. Im seeing hours in the 2500 range rather than the 5000 range.

Makes me think they might be an ok deal for someone willing to DIY the soft-goods stuff. I also hate how most charter boats put a large bimini instead of a proper bimini/dodger combo.
Old 10-28-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Xanshin has bought one or two from charter, he has had no issues with doing so. I know of two others that have also bought ex charter boats locally, again, no issues.

At the end of the day, probably depends upon who you buy from etc. BUT< any time you buy USED, be it a charter or individual, you never know how it has been maintained. One may very well find, the charter was maintained better than the individual!

Marty
Old 10-28-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I dont usually answer these type questions fully as they are normally started by polmics who hate Beneteaus, hate charter companies, hate charterers and think the only thing that should be allowed on water is a 27 foot wooden boat with tiller.

But as its David....

First off let me say most people on internet forums hate Beneteaus, hate charter companies, hate charterers and think the only thing that should be allowed on water is a 27 foot wooden boat with tiller.

I bought mine in 2008 after traveling the east coast of the USA extensively looking for long range cruising.
At the time I had $105,000
I found no one in the USA would negotiate at all, some put their price up as soon as they heard an Australian was in town.

I put in two offers on Beneteau 361's (36 foot.) One was offered at $112,000 and I offered my $105,000 and was rejected.
When in Florida I went to the Moorings Brokerage and met a broker who had some 361's in the Caribbean and some 393's (39 feet). There was a 393 at $115,000 in St Martin.
I went there and saw all the boats but the 393 was much better than the rest, better than the owner owned USA 361's.
Moorings took the $105,000 offer and I got a surveyor who obviously had surveyed MANY Beneteaus. He would tell me what he was looking for and then lift the cover and show me if it had 'it' or not.

I wanted to make sure it had never had a hard grounding and that a surveyor can tell from inside the bilge fore and aft the keel.

Point 1: I got a 39 footer for less than a 36 footer.

I closed the deal, threw my stuff onboard and sailed around the world with no damage, nothing falling off, nothing breaking until 100nms before the end of my circumnavigation when I broke the forestay but was able to motor sail to my intended port. I had already scheduled a rigging change for the end of my circumnavigation so the rigging was in the forefront of my mind. I did not have the budget to do it before, but I think if I did have the budget I would have done the rigging 10,000 miles before I did, vis a vie, 20,000nms after I bought the boat.

The Pacific was a good example where all I broke was one split pin in 6,500nms.

When I Thailand I had Rolly Tasker make me a new mainsail but I didnt put it on thill I reached Turkey.
The Genoa I finaly swapped for another second hand one earlier this year so it had done about 36,000nms after I had bought the boat. The sail was probably original to the boat.

Point 2 Nothing much went wring with my boat through a whole circumnavigation.

Yanamar tells me the 4JH3E will be good for 20,000 to 25,000 hours. Internet forums say they are good for about half an hour, less if on a chartered boat. My engine had 3490 hours on it and all I did on the circumnavigation was keep the oil up to it and do the impellors. In November last year after 33,000 nms I changed the heat exchanger.

My hours are now 2785 hours + the original 3490 = 6,275 hours and it starts first time every time, no smoke, no oil use etc.

Point 3 Yanmar Engines do more hours than you think.

"Charter wrecks boats" there are a few bumps and scratches where people have dropped stuff, maybe the winch handle a few times in an unfamiliar cockpit... theres a bump below I wondered how the hell they did... but I have forgotten where it is! There was some hair line varnish scratches ( and the advice is do NOT sand back, just use the finest art brust to in-fill)
Apart from that they are exactly like any other owner-owned boat of the same age.
I have seen some pristine boats in my travels but they are from a zealous maintainer... I am not, I am a traveller so the highest levels of aesthetic boat maintenance doesn't bother me.

Point 4 Ex-charter boars are not wrecked.

As I am not a boat yard boy or an intense maintainer it would be stupid for me to ever buy a project boat. My idea is to get a low maintenance, good sailing, affordable boat that thats a liquid market for resale.
This boat fit very well into my overall assessment of annual cruising costs and the investments needed to fund those costs.
Ex-charter meant I could have a large boat that only represents a small fraction of my overall assets.
Other people do their sums in a different way, but mine work for me and I can do this till I die or sink the boat.
Point 5 Low investment to asset ratio

Moorings/Sunsail/TUI maintenance is deplored by those who don't know anything about it. They think TUI never maintains the charter boats. Quite simple its in their financial interest to maintain the boats: the average price of charter per week is about $5,000 for my boat. If it can't go out TUI loses $5,000 for that week and every week its unavailable. So its far better to spend a few hours of full time staff mechanics time than to lose $5,000.
Anytime I am near a Moorings/Sunsail/TUI base and I have a problem or question I find the fleet managers are very, very, VERY helpful. If theres a problem they have seen it and they know the best, simplest, cheapest solution.

Point 6 I found TUI/Sunsail/Moorings maintains the boats well.

Often its said that a boat ex-charter needs to be 'refitted' before it can sail away. Well thats bullsh!t. They have been doing week long charters for years and any boat that can sail off for a week independently doesnt need to be re-fitted.
All I put on mine was clothes, a dinghy and a girlfriend.
In Thailand we had new saloon covers as the blue valour Sunsail fabrics are a bit harsh on the eyes. Moorings have white vinyl thats OK but I would change that too, but they are only aesthetics.
I bought a new oven after 25,000nms.
I have a 2 inch foam 'topper' on my forward cabin mattress.
All the below bits are fine.
Mine is a 2 cabin version that I like better than 3 cabins as there is more storage space in an outside lazarette.
Some of the bigger boats have 5 cabins. If that doesnt suit you don't buy the f'ing boat! Its not Beneteaus fault or the charter companies. No one is forcing you to want one.
I saw an owner-owned boat where one head was removed and the whole bathroom was made into a pantry. Great creative use of space.

Point 7 Re-fit not needed.

Thats about all I can think of..... ummmmm..... If theres something else I'll put it up.

In General: buting a ex-charter boat is the same as buying any second hand/used boat: Its NOT NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****Please don't think that over 5 years nothing has gone wrong, norhting has been changed or upgraded. On any second hand boat 5 years is a long time. It is an ongoinig maintenance thing like all boats. ****

The old Sunsail Salon colours

What we did in Thailand
weinie, Bene505, KBuckley and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 10-28-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

I have not considered a chartered boat for purchase, but did recently return from Croatia which is full of them. I wonder if it is like buying a rental car, more miles, but with better regular maintenance. The boats in Crotia seem to be in good shape overall. One factor as a plus is reduced engine hours, I was told locally that fuel has become so expensive that people sail whenver possible, something I saw first hand. The added use on the sails is the downside, but even people who charter newer boats comment on poor sails so replacing them seems typical.
Old 10-28-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

If you want to see one close to you, see this one:
McMichael Yacht Brokers and Yacht Yard - Our Yacht Listings

It was listed on the moorings site in the spring. I have no idea how it ended up at McMichaels.

Barry

Quote:
I never really gave it much thought before figuring they would be all used up and beat to death.

The guy I just helped move his boat however was not so negative.
He said that the first tier guys had so many boats that they sold them after about 3-4 years at very good prices.

His idea was that the sails and cushions would have to be replaced but that the rest of the boat was very well maintained.

His source was watching the charters boats the last two years while he was in the islands.

My thinking is that even if he is right any money you save up front would be lost and then some on the sale.

I know one guy who did very well on an ex charter boat but he bought it from the bank so he got it for a lot less than getting it from the charter broker.