SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   sailboats with big cockpit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/10512-sailboats-big-cockpit.html)

gweiser 09-26-2004 02:30 PM

sailboats with big cockpit

i currently have a 1971 cal 25 with the poptop and which also has about a 7 foot cockpit which my wife really likes. We like the boat alot. but would like a bigger boat 27-30+ feet which is less corky, and which would also have a big cockpit, like the cal 25. My wife also likes the fact that the deck is flat which gives her a good vista when we go out. I like the fact that the boat feels very solid and safe. my question is which boats in the size range mentioned, 27 -30+ come with a fairly big cockpit, similar to the one found on the cal 25, which might be a little faster and which would also not be too tender in heavy winds. Price range about 25K, or less. I''ve looked at ads for catalina 30, cal 30 , pearson 30 but would like other suggestions ,eg J boats, given the above prerequisites. we currently sail out of boston and hope to continue to do day trips and also longer overnights with my 2 kids. thanks gary

sailnaway 10-05-2004 06:16 PM

Hi Gary
I like Catalina 30''s had one and cruised it many miles they are easy to maintain and cheep to buy one an 86 just sold here in New Orleans for $3500 needed allot of work most of it cosmetic.

dshearn 11-20-2004 04:48 AM

Maxi 32s are rare but they have a huge cockpit. I dont know how good of a boat they are . But they have a nice layout. Though not Center cockpits they have a enclosed rear cabin. The rear cabin roof makes a great little work area to cook off of.

I own a Cal 33 they are pretty quick for there size. There P rateing is 132 i belive ( if not its pretty close to that) I am not sure if it is becuse i own it or not but I am really happy with the look of the cal 33. The one major down fall is i live on the shallow Mississippi gulf Coast and the 5-6 draft is still too deep . ( i was this close >< to buying a farr 40 but its 7 foot draft would kill me)

Ah best of luck to you though Wish i could be more helpfull

Don

paulk 11-20-2004 04:42 PM

Pearson 35''s have a huge cockpit, nice lines, and are big enough for a family of 4 to go places - even if the places aren''t very deep. Finding one in your price range may take some looking, but would be worth it. For more spartan accommodations below, but livelier performance, a flush deck, and an even bigger cockpit, look at a Tartan 10 -- definitely in your price range. Happy hunting!

garyp 11-20-2004 07:37 PM

A decent Pearson 35 might be hard to find for $25K. Morgan 34''s are decent sailors, have reasonable accomodations, a large cockpit, are lovely to look at, and would be within your price range.

palacegrand 11-21-2004 02:31 PM

Newport 28?
Haven''t sailed one, but almost bought one. Big cockpit, nice space inside with headroom too. Is a C&C design with a nice look. Not sure if it would be too tender or not, but has a fair PHRF and seems to be a good sailor. I was looking for something quick & yet comfortable, not too much money. It was definitely in the running.

just my 2 cents
Craig