SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Frers 38

17K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Love Shack 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experence with, or opinion of this boat.

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
2 Time Frers 38 Owner

Hello,

I can tell you a lot about the Carroll Marine Frers 38. I currently own "Vanishing Point" and previously owned "Dragon", both Frers 38s. The first was a 1989 version with a medium length keel, and the forward placed mast. This version had two design flaws, first, the mast was moved 6 inches forward of design specifications, by Carroll, in order to get it to fit inside the head. Additionally, the 1989 was ordered with the 6' 9" keel. That boat also had the traditional fiberglass hull, a complete forward and aft stateroom, with closing doors and additional wood trim. She was essentially a cruiser.

The new Frers (the 1991) has an "S"-glass / kevlar hull and deck, special ordered for weight savings and additional stiffness. She also has a 7' 6" fin keel. This boat also has an aft bunkroom with no door, and the forward section is for sail storage (no forward cabin). This boat is a lot faster, points like no boat I have ever sailed, and is so stiff, you really don't need a lot of crew to keep her relatively flat in nearly any wind.

The Frers is a very comfortable cruise and occasional racer. They seem to have trouble being competitive in PHRF. The boat has a very low rating, and generally the serious sailors are all sailing the newer technology boats. I single hand the boat frequently, and she's really a pleasure to sail. Everything is led back to the cockpit, and the loads on the sheets are relatively light. My boats both had way oversized winches, so that could be part of it. I motor out of the harbor, put on the autopilot, set the main, shut off the engine, and then I let go of the roller furling line and pull in on the job sheet and I am sailing.

They are relatively light boats, with a good design, and a very sea kindly ride. They can take heavy seas well, with a very dry ride, and they can also sail in light wind without seeming like they are drifting. I do race the boat, but we are not serious racers, so we have not had a tremendous track record. When we are doing things well, we are passing larger boats, left and right, but we always seem to mess up something, and end up finishing in the middle of the pack.

I would suggest, of you are buying one, that you think about 1) the location of the mast; 2) the keel configuration and 3) the interior layout (depending on whether you are cruising or racing). For keels, the 7' and 7'6" fin keels are the best fit, and you want one with the mast in the main salon.

Other than that, they are all very similar. There are some good deals out there, but don't pay too much.

I am available to talk more about the boat at 617 557 0060.

Good luck!

#6 · (Edited)
Enjoyed reading your Frers 38 information. Just purchased a 1982 Frers 38

Hello,

I can tell you a lot about the Carroll Marine Frers 38. I currently own "Vanishing Point" and previously owned "Dragon", both Frers 38s. The first was a 1989 version with a medium length keel, and the forward placed mast. This version had two design flaws, first, the mast was moved 6 inches forward of design specifications, by Carroll, in order to get it to fit inside the head. Additionally, the 1989 was ordered with the 6' 9" keel. That boat also had the traditional fiberglass hull, a complete forward and aft stateroom, with closing doors and additional wood trim. She was essentially a cruiser.

The new Frers (the 1991) has an "S"-glass / kevlar hull and deck, special ordered for weight savings and additional stiffness. She also has a 7' 6" fin keel. This boat also has an aft bunkroom with no door, and the forward section is for sail storage (no forward cabin). This boat is a lot faster, points like no boat I have ever sailed, and is so stiff, you really don't need a lot of crew to keep her relatively flat in nearly any wind.

The Frers is a very comfortable cruise and occasional racer. They seem to have trouble being competitive in PHRF. The boat has a very low rating, and generally the serious sailors are all sailing the newer technology boats. I single hand the boat frequently, and she's really a pleasure to sail. Everything is led back to the cockpit, and the loads on the sheets are relatively light. My boats both had way oversized winches, so that could be part of it. I motor out of the harbor, put on the autopilot, set the main, shut off the engine, and then I let go of the roller furling line and pull in on the job sheet and I am sailing.

They are relatively light boats, with a good design, and a very sea kindly ride. They can take heavy seas well, with a very dry ride, and they can also sail in light wind without seeming like they are drifting. I do race the boat, but we are not serious racers, so we have not had a tremendous track record. When we are doing things well, we are passing larger boats, left and right, but we always seem to mess up something, and end up finishing in the middle of the pack.

I would suggest, of you are buying one, that you think about 1) the location of the mast; 2) the keel configuration and 3) the interior layout (depending on whether you are cruising or racing). For keels, the 7' and 7'6" fin keels are the best fit, and you want one with the mast in the main salon.

Other than that, they are all very similar. There are some good deals out there, but don't pay too much.

I am available to talk more about the boat at 617 557 0060.

Good luck!
Hello,
Sounds like you would be a wealth of informaion on the Frers 38, enjoyed reading your tread. I purchased a Frers 38, been a racer most of it's life, but I'm looking into refitting the boat more as Racer/Cruiser. In process of having boat trucked up North to PA for refit. The boat had many wins in the Fla Tampa area and I became good friends with it's previous owner who raced her for 5 yrs. He provide me with the original articles advertising the boat back in '82'. It has kevlar grid work, hull mainly S & E glass solid core construction. Very light weight for it's size, 60ft mast raced well in light air.

Would be great to have the opportunity to speak to you some more on the 38 Frers. Getting close to retirement and plan to work on the boat to get her refit, so info from an experinced 38 owner would be great to formulate some ideas. Thx!

#4 ·
Cpez....

The original poster hasn't posted since 2005 and that post was 4 years old... doubtful he's still around.

You might want to put your comments in the Boat review section on this board.

#8 ·
I am currently looking at a 1990 Frears 38. I was wondering if you would mind if I called you to talk about the boat design?

The one I'm looking at need some work and was wondering if you were familiar with the laminate schedule in the keel area?

I'd also love to get your general impressions of the boat.

Thanks
Dan Donegan
802-881-9297

#9 ·
I purchased Hull #14 in August of 1989, after they moved the mast and made a keel bulb optional (900 additional pounds dropping the draft to about 8', and stiffening up the boat wonderfully). I owned her for 23 years, and did Transpac in '97. The boat was a joy, and pointed incredibly high when sailed right (the result of a combination of narrow sheeting angles that the triple spreader rig allows, and the deep elliptical keel and large rudder). It takes waves beautifully, with a sharp entry that reduces hobby horsing, and is capable of sustained periods of stable running in heavy winds with the bow submerged.
I was initially given a PHRF Northwest rating of 82 or 84, but our small club in Alaska dropped it down to 62 after we began dominating the fleet. After I sold her to a couple in Tacoma, they somehow managed to get a 93 rating--I don't know if they've ever lost a race--at least on corrected time.
It's a great boat, but quality control at Carroll Marine was problematic (not just from my personal experience, but from multiple reports of others). My problems included rudder bearing and rudder stock wear that resulted from an epoxy pour for the top (deck) bearing that was too hot, resulting in shrinkage that allowed the rudder to shimmer (imperceptibly at first). This caused the aluminum stock to wear at the neck bearing, which caused major problems for our Transpac race. Another problem surfaced when open wood on the side of the (chainplate load bearing) bulkhead allowed water and resulting rot and detachment of the bulkhead to the hull.
Check out your boat carefully, but don't hesitate to get one of these gems. I loved my "Silvergirl."

#11 ·
Re: refit frers 38

Wonder if you still have your Frers 38? I just purchased Total Eclipse from Marblehead and would love to compare notes at some point. Doing quite a bit of refit, deck work and bulkhead repair now for the coming season as it appears others have had to do as well.

Would be happy to hear from anyone else who has one as well.

Jim S.
Portland ME

#20 ·
Re: refit frers 38

Wonder if you still have your Frers 38? I just purchased Total Eclipse from Marblehead and would love to compare notes at some point. Doing quite a bit of refit, deck work and bulkhead repair now for the coming season as it appears others have had to do as well.

Would be happy to hear from anyone else who has one as well.

Jim S.
Portland ME

#12 ·
I found a derlect Carrol Myers, Frers 38... 1991. It’s afloat in a boat yard, been in the water for years. I’m a newb here going to try to get pics up. Tell me to run or typical major problems to look for when I pull it (complete refit).

Can’t find a way to upload pics so I’ll give my perspective. Has no mast/rigging or sales. hole was not covered rain water has collected but not leaking does not have a bilge. No deck plates the water just covers the runners. All teak is intact, no leaking hatches.
I believe the rudder has seized I jumped into the locker helm wasn’t connected tried a few man tugs. No movement.

If someone could direct where I can share pics I will.

#15 · (Edited)
That's not a refit, that's a major reconstruction. Unless you have a barn and a couple of years to spare, leave it alone.

A new rig and sails alone will be 10'$ of thou$and$.

The lead in the keel is the only value there.

Reactions: jephotog
#18 ·
Colby, that boat looks like it would be a junker. The water damage to the wood looks to be significant. I imagine that it would require a complete gut and rebuild. There are videos on Youtube, and lots of stories elsewhere, of people who have completed such projects, but they become an arduous labor of love, and many never get completed. I've been dream shopping for boats for about 5-6 years, to educate myself, and I've seen a number of ads where people list a boat by saying, "Project boat for sale. Work is 3/4 of the way done. It has been on the hard for 9 years and I must sell because of health problems which are preventing me from completing the job".

Check out the vlog of MJSailing.com. Matt and Jessica embarked on a plan to gut and rebuild a Trisalu 37 for a year, that turned into 2 1/2 years. They lived on it, while it sat on stands and they worked on it from sun up to sundown, seven days a week, with only a couple of vacation or hurricane breaks. They did it because they were set on owning a boat with an aluminum hull. Concerning the cost of such a rebuild, they developed a following on Youtube and got support and endorsements to help pay for their project.

I would think that a project boat like the Frers would have to be one that someone does because they like remodeling projects more than they like sailing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.