Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Which 27 footer to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Why is it a better boat than the Vega? Where do I start? To begin with its a far more modern design with a fin keel and big outboard rudder. It's a frac rig and doesn't need big genoas in light air. It's a Peter Norlin design and he was a very good designer. There would be no comparison at all in the overall performance of the Vega compared to the Cirrus 7.8.
I think the appeal to the Vega is that they are inexpensive, have made a number of decent voyages, and are easy to find.

I looked at one and wasn't really crazy about it, but I could see the appeal, especially for the price. I'd also have build quality concerns, the one we looked at had a substantial blistering problem (worse than any other boat we looked at).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Heck, a westsnail 28 might work for someone too. altho, not sure about $$$ initial.........
There was one for sale here for $40k recently. They have some nice features, but there is no way I'd pay that much for one.

I really like the interior layout for a 28ft boat, they did a much better job with the interior than a lot of other boats that size/year. I mostly like the fact it's useful for more than sitting in the cabin staring at each other. Our interior is atrocious, so is the Vega's for that matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

With a budget of 5k you can find many of the boats people have already listed.
Here on Craigslist in Norfolk there is several boat that meet your criteria.

posted 2 days ago was an Albin Vega for $2000 obo....i have seen it person.....need some TLC but overall a decent complete boat for money and worth putting additional money into

and 3-4 days ago Pearson Triton 28, $1500. I am have not seen boat. so I cannot comment.

There are many others on there. Good luck in your search.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-02-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Good to know a W28 was not a good boat per say. Thought about buying a new one when I was about 22 to liveon.........a life, some good, some bad........

Reality is, a good boat to one person, will not be a good boat to another, depending upon how one use's it etc.

Marty
Old 11-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"Reality is, a good boat to one person, will not be a good boat to another, depending upon how one use's it etc. "

In the case of the W28 I do agree at all with you. That boat is flawed by design or really, lack of design. If you knew very little about boats you might actually think it was a good boat. But you'd be wrong.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 11-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Probably on the rare side, but Bob's being modest not suggesting the Mirage 26 or 27 (Canadian, not the US Mirage), also the Aloha 8.2 (271) though it might be a hard find at $5K.

MIRAGE 27 (PERRY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

MIRAGE 26 (PERRY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

ALOHA 271 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-04-2013
grumpy old man

Me? modest?
Never.
Forgetful?
Always.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-04-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

I would throw in the Ranger 26 and 29 or Grampian 26 in the mix. Neither are going to win you many trips around the cans but from my understanding and my experience on them they are solid boats. The Grampian is build like a tank but still moves OK. Sailing a Ranger 29 is a good fun, you get a lot of feedback at the helm and she can handle some weather as well as most in her range and makes good time. Just my 2 cents (may or may not actually be worth the previously claimed 2 cents)

I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 11-04-2013
grumpy old man

Ranger 26 and Ranger 29 are both great boats and sail very well.

Bob's Blog ....

Tags
c27 , catalina 27 , first boat