Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Kaufman 47 cutter, anyone have anything on these boats?

I'm currently looking at a Kaufman 47 and was wondering if anyone had any information on them. There is limited knowledge on them on the Internet and from forums. I know they are similar to Swan 47s and has the same shape or appears to me as the Skye 51. We own a marina in New Orleans, and had a Skye 51 up earlier this summer. Very solid boats and nicely designed. But if anyone could shed any info or sailing experience on one that would be much appreciated.

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013

Re: Kaufman 47 cutter, anyone have anything on these boats?

Any takers?
Old 11-07-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I believe that the Kaufman 47 was designed by Mike Kaufman. Mike is an Annapolis area (actually Severna Park) based naval architect and marine engineer who was formerly a partner in Kaufman and Ladd. People often confuse him with fellow yacht designer Scott Kaufman who is formerly of S&S if I remember right. The confusion is so rampant that even SailBoat Data has most of Mike Kaufman's boats ascribed to Scott Kaufman.

In any event, my first suggestion is to contact Mike Kaufman directly and see what light he can shed.

I personally have little or no first hand experience with the Kaufman 47. I have seen a CT47 which I believe was a similar design. I believe that the Skye 51 was a Kaufman and Ladd design. There are definite similarlities between these three. This is also a similar design to the K&L Nimbus 42 as well.

From everything that I ever heard about the Nimbus and Skye, these were both really nice boats. They were reportedly comfortable and fast for their day, robustly constructed. Looking back from 2013, I personally am not a fan of their rig proportions, but these purposeful adaptaions of IOR 2 hull forms and rigs was leading edge stuff back then.

In many ways these designs were very typical of performance cruisers of their era. Their underbody is not all that different than something like a Valiant 40 of a slightly earlier era. (Perhaps Bob Perry might weigh in here since he was having boats built in Taiwan in that era and there were few secrets in the Taiwan yards during that period.)

You occasionally see suggestions that these were Swan knock offs, but knowing both Mike Kaufman and Rob Ladd, both are creative designers and it would seem unlikely that they would be directly cribbing anyone.

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 11-07-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I have been aboard two of the ct47's one cutter one a ketch. These had teak decks the cutter had been removed and the boat gone through. The ketch had not and was is rotting away. If the boat you are looking at had/has teak decks beware. I liked the ketch layout inside but it was a total rebuild project. I couldn't find much info on them either. What's the name of the boat I may have been on it. You can pm me if you wish.
Old 11-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
You occasionally see suggestions that these were Swan knock offs, but knowing both Mike Kaufman and Rob Ladd, both are creative designers and it would seem unlikely that they would be directly cribbing anyone. .
Jeff, I think those statements come more from the 'look' and probably nothing beyond that.. the deck plans and colour striping, along with the typical teak decks DID/DOES look very 'swanny' of that era. I'm pretty sure it was deliberate on the builder's part.. but like you say, the design was more likely K&L's (or K's) take on the ideal of that period...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-07-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

" cribbing"?

I don't think so. To their credit Swans pretty much became a generic style. My own Golden Wave 42 built by Cheoy Lee is what I would call a Swan style design.

I knew the builders of both the Skye and the CT models. As I recall Mao Ta built the Skye. I could be wrong. Never much liked that guy. He did some funny business with me on a boat that has my name on it but is not my design. I didn't laugh.

I have a buddy who owned a CT K&L ketch for many years. He loved that boat. His had a custom lead keel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 11-07-2013

Quote:
In any event, my first suggestion is to contact Mike Kaufman directly and see what light he can shed.

From everything that I ever heard about the Nimbus and Skye, these were both really nice boats. They were reportedly comfortable and fast for their day, robustly constructed. Looking back from 2013, I personally am not a fan of their rig proportions, but these purposeful adaptaions of IOR 2 hull forms and rigs was leading edge stuff back then.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I'll try to get in touch with him. I was in Annapolis last month before I went to work offshore. My truck is still in Cape Cod though so I may stop there again on the way down if I can get in touch with him.

What is it you don't care for in the proportions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
If the boat you are looking at had/has teak decks beware. I liked the ketch layout inside but it was a total rebuild project. I couldn't find much info on them either. What's the name of the boat I may have been on it. You can pm me if you wish.
Yea, it has teak decks but they "appear" to be in good shape from pictures. I already bought tickets to go see the boat in person when I get off the ship next month. It's Serendipity located in Brisbane, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I knew the builders of both the Skye and the CT models. As I recall Mao Ta built the Skye. I could be wrong. Never much liked that guy. He did some funny business with me on a boat that has my name on it but is not my design. I didn't laugh.

I have a buddy who owned a CT K&L ketch for many years. He loved that boat. His had a custom lead keel.
It could very well be wrong Bob, but the listing says Kha Shing Ent. Co. as the builder. You say your buddy had a custom lead keel? Was that something he personally added on later, because as far as I know these boats have iron keels. Not sure about the Skye and CT.

Ronnie
Old 11-07-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
What is it you don't care for in the proportions?

Ronnie
I know that there are a lot of folks who like cutter and therefore some of this is my own personal prejudice deriving from the way that I sail which is I mostly sail short-handed, and tend to push my boats pretty hard. As a result, I like boats which are easy to handle and which can quickly adapt to the full range of changing conditions.

Boats like these had very large foretriangles and comparatively small mainsails. That rig proportion meant carrying very large genoas and chutes in order to get decent light air performance. Big genoas cannot be depowered the way a mainsail can and since you can only furl them down so far before the shape gets ugly, you end up needing to do more frequent sail changes and carry a larger sail inventory. Having to drag a big genoa across the jib stay only makes this matter worse.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 11-07-2013

Quote:
I know that there are a lot of folks who like cutter and therefore some of this is my own personal prejudice deriving from the way that I sail which is I mostly sail short-handed, and tend to push my boats pretty hard. As a result, I like boats which are easy to handle and which can quickly adapt to the full range of changing conditions.

Boats like these had very large foretriangles and comparatively small mainsails. That rig proportion meant carrying very large genoas and chutes in order to get decent light air performance. Big genoas cannot be depowered the way a mainsail can and since you can only furl them down so far before the shape gets ugly, you end up needing to do more frequent sail changes and carry a larger sail inventory. Having to drag a big genoa across the jib stay only makes this matter worse.

Jeff
Oh I see what your saying. Doesn't the use of a cutter with the inner jib make it easier to power your head sails down since your headsail area is somewhat divided into 2 sails? Also, would a bigger main/more roach with smaller genoa help even out these proportions? Or maybe just a smarter/smaller cut genoa jib combo?

I have only raced on a CNC 34 with hank on jibs. Never used a roller furling before. Would you say this cutter rig is more for cruising or does it fit its racer/cruiser title?

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Old 11-07-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Boy:
Yep I could be wrong. I pay mariginal attention to other people's design efforts. Unless they are noteworthy.

This lead keel was built and installed at the yard. How do I know that? I hung out in Taiwan quite a bit. Truth is I loved it there. I did not bite my fingernails when I was in Taiwan.

I pulled into the Ta Chaio yard after a nice lunch and ther was a bit of a commotion going on. It involved the lead keel they were pouring for my buddies boat. It seems the wood mould they had constructed for the lead keel had broken during the pour and lead had spilled out all over the parking lot. Big loss of face for the yard. Face is not a joke with the Chinese. I knew enough to wonder off to the CT65 plug project that I was involved with at the time. I had been around keel pours before. They are challenging.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.