Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004

musolmar is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

I am going to inspect a 1977 catalina22 on Friday (Oct 1). The owner is selling because he just bought at 25.

Here is what I know: Swing keel has been re-rigged with a cable and turning ball in 1995. Rigging replaved 1996. New bottom paint and teak just refinished. Comes with Main,Jib, 150 Genoa. New portapotti. Running Mast and cabin lights. 4HP suzuki outboard. Pop Top. VHF Radio, lighted compass, new battery. She is currently in the water. Owner is offering 3 free sailing lessons to new buyer to become confortable with the boat. Owner is firm on his price of $2500. I think it is a fair price.

Can anyone tell me what to look for when I inspect her. From the pic - she really looks well taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2004

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

Go to the Catalina 22 website (catalina22.org) and go to the discussion groups link, follow to the catalina direct forums for C22 and post your query, you should be able to get an answer or even do a search on this topic to find tips on what to look for.
Old 09-29-2004

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

Allen''s advice is good. I have a 1976 C-22. Based on the description you provide, I think the price is very fair.

I would start by asking how many times the mast has been raised and lowered. Then I would check the condition of the standing rigging. Raising and lowering the mast can have an effect on this rigging. I''d check the foredeck for any soft spots (delamination), and ask if the boat leaks anywhere (from deck fixtures). Check the condition of the gaskets surrounding the four cabin portlights. Based on my own experiences, I''m surprised that the keel cable has lasted since 1995. Look at the keel winch for rust and/or corrosion. Since it''s in the water, you won''t be able to see the condition of the keel or how it attachs to the bottom. You might ask if he''s willing to haul it.

I would also ask to see the mast, cabin, and running (navigation) lights in operation. You can check the condition of the wiring going to the nav lights; the mast light wiring, at least on my boat, runs down inside the mast and out at the bottom to a deck plug. Check the radio.

You don''t say how old the outboard is but if it''s a four-stroke, you''re probably OK. You might want to ask about any overhaul or repairs on it. I had a 9.9HP Johnson two-stroke on mine, but a lower HP four-stroke can be just as effective.

Even though the price is low, you may want to get it surveyed to assure yourself that you won''t have to put out any major expenses for repairs.
Old 09-29-2004

BarryL is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

Hello,

You will need to see the boat OUT of the water. When it''s in the water you can check the condition of the deck (spongy areas mean the balsa cored deck is rotted), wiring, interior cushions, etc.

However, you need to see the keel, and the only way is to haul the boat. If the keel is a rusted piece of junk you are in trouble. Assuming the keel (and bottom paint) are Ok you can''t really go wrong.

What is the rudder, the kick up or fixed? It seems the pintles and gugdeons can rust out, but that''s nothing major. The kick up rudder can wear out, so if you don''t trailer, or sail in thin water the fixed rudder is better.

Does the boat have the sliding galley? Do you want the sliding galley?

Good luck! I have a C22 for a year I really enjoyed it. I wanted a larger boat for overnighting, otherwise I would still have it.

Barry
Old 09-29-2004

musolmar is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

The seller sent me pictures from Aug 11, when the boat was out of the water for new bottom paint. The keel had some surface corrosion, but it was taken care of with when the bottom was repainted. I don''t know if the boat has a galley, but I will find out on Friday. I have a list items to check. - Thanks to all who responded to my post.
Old 11-03-2004

bobrh is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

Just bought a Catalina 25 and need to replace the mast wiring. What''s the trick for running new wiring through the length of the mast? It is unstepped.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2004

boatbum is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

Bead Chain, a 50'' roll. It will find it''s way through if you slightly elevate the mast. Then pull twine through with the chain, tie the wire bundle on and pull back through. The bead chain will always come in handy for snaking stuff like that. Otherwise, a cheaper solution is a 50í electrical snake. I had both a 22'' and 25'' Catalina.
Old 11-05-2004

bidet is on a distinguished road
catalina 22

My first boat was a C-22 1977 model. the price seems reasonable but the outboard may be a bit small for this boat. I had a Evinrude 6hp and it offered very little in reverse when docking and in any weather you are pushing a 2200lb boat. I would look at the aluminum frames around the cabin ports, mine always leaked. look for any telltale water marks. I do not think raising the mast X number of times is a problem, they are not that heavy. My son and I trailored ours quite a lotwith no problems. as for the boat, I loved it. Great sailing performance with little or no weather helm. comfortable for a weekend and easy to rig and break down. Catalina has been building this hull for nearly 30 years, something to be said for that.

Bill

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.