Buying a Canuck...? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 11-14-2013 Thread Starter
Thanks Courtney.

Re: Buying a Canuck...?

Definitely a sailboat! Lesson learned on the +€>~\%#}ing power boats.

It's a little too late in the year for the transfer to happen. Would have to figure out how to do it and then launch the boat in spring. Not sure how it would work if I bought it now and it remained in Canada until May...

hunter Legend 37 Semper Paratus
Formerly - Tartan 34C Yawl
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 07-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Howdy:

So.. I've done this twice now. The first time, in 2009? I imported my Canadian-built boat from Vancouver, BC to Washington state. I didn't use a customs broker. The biggest problem I had was getting my $US converted to $Can... Everybody wanted to take a couple of percent for the transaction, and I didn't want to pay that. The Canadian escrow company handled the currency exchange for me for a nominal fee. That was much appreciated.

The way it worked was that the paperwork was all handled by the buying and selling broker and the escrow company. When I arrived in the U.S., the customs folks came down and I filled out some paperwork, and paid the nominal fees for the transfer. (You need exact change).. the whole thing took about 30 minutes. .. Easy

That being said, I helped a friend bring his newly-purchased 1D35 from Vancouver BC to Washington state. He thinks that the escrow company did the currency exchange as well. He did use a customs broker, though. He was told by the selling broker that the law had changed and that a customs broker was required. I surfed around a bit to see if that was the case, and could find no evidence that was true. I didn't have much confidence in the (different) selling broker in this case. The experience with the customs officers on this boat was essentially the same.. Took about 30 minutes. Easy.

Since Windsor is so close (To those not familiar with local geography, Windsor is actually south of Detroit).. I'd be inclined to try it without a customs broker. If you get turned away, then you could always sail back to Windsor and try again... Getting kind of late in the year, though...

I know that my boat transfer officially took place at sea, although the previous owner wasn't present. This avoids Canadian taxes.

As others have indicated above, if the boat is Canadian or U.S., there is no duty, due to NAFTA.

I'd be happy to dig up any detailed information you'd like.

Oh.. and this better be a sailboat we're talking about here...
Hi Djodenda,

I'm in Seattle and buying a boat Vancouver, BC... I'm concerned about getting the best deal on the exchange rate. Who did you use as an escrow agent in Canada? Sounds like you were pretty happy with what they did for you.

Thanks!

Phil
post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2015

I imported a Canadian built sailboat from Canada in '83. Pre-nafta there was indeed import duty to pay and I did so. The CN dollar was low at the time and I was getting a decent deal on a high end boat. I went to a local bank and got a bank check in the amount (approx 25K CN$) and took that with me.

When I sailed it home across the Straits of Juan DeFuca I paid duty to the US Customs folks in Pt Angeles. I had the new survey and the bill of sale. That's all they needed.

Once back in the States, it actually took me well over a month to get a new Oregon title created, what with several letters back n forth. They have to be certain that untitled vessels are not stolen, so their caution is appropriate.

While you do need some accurate current advice, at least I can assure you that this is fairly routine and (going out on a limb...) should not need any hired assistance to get through the transaction.

BTW, I also figured out a pretty good way to find a good surveyor in a "foreign" city. But that's a separate story and not what you asked about at this point.

Happy shopping!

Loren
post #14 of 18 Old 07-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Definitely a sailboat! Lesson learned on the +>~\%#}ing power boats.

It's a little too late in the year for the transfer to happen. Would have to figure out how to do it and then launch the boat in spring. Not sure how it would work if I bought it now and it remained in Canada until May...
I'm not sure it applies in your case but Americans can keep boats in Canada if and only if they're being worked on at a yard. I believe the work order has to be filed with customs or someone like that. And just bottom paint/winterize/summerize isn't enough to qualify.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-07-2015
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM View Post
I'm not sure it applies in your case but Americans can keep boats in Canada if and only if they're being worked on at a yard. I believe the work order has to be filed with customs or someone like that. And just bottom paint/winterize/summerize isn't enough to qualify.
There are an awful lot of US registered boats in permanent moorage in BC marinas... so I'm not certain the above is strictly true here...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #16 of 18 Old 07-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoseattle View Post
Hi Djodenda,

I'm in Seattle and buying a boat Vancouver, BC... I'm concerned about getting the best deal on the exchange rate. Who did you use as an escrow agent in Canada? Sounds like you were pretty happy with what they did for you.

Thanks!

Phil
Phil:
I used Marine Titles Canada Ltd.
six oh four Seven Three Six Three Three Seven Seven
Colette Bell was my contact.
Yes, I was very happy with them.

David

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #17 of 18 Old 07-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
There are an awful lot of US registered boats in permanent moorage in BC marinas... so I'm not certain the above is strictly true here...
They could have been imported even if they're still US flagged (and paid 13% HST if it was recent). But I wouldn't be surprised if enforcement varies regionally especially since that rule is only a few years old. It is a concern on the east coast but I've seen lots of boating rules not applied or take a long time to catch up with you in Canada.
Faster likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-07-2015

David, Thanks so much for the quick reply! Phil

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.