Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Buying a Canuck...?

Does anyone have experience buying a boat in Canada and importing it to the US? Extra taxes/fees? Paperwork?
Old 11-13-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Buying a Canuck...?

No experience but as long as it is made in North America there should not be any duty. I know many bought in the US end up here and there is not any duty due to free trade.
Old 11-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

SNer Djodenda did this a few years back.. not complicated, I don't think. PM him or he may catch this thread and respond himself.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about

Looking at the US Customs site seems to indicate there would be a 1.5% duty and it appears there is a form that needs to be filled out declaring the engine meets EPA guidelines.
Old 11-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If it's North American built there shouldn't be any duty under NAFTA.. if there's a 1.5% fee I wonder what it's based on/for. Going the other way, our boat was not NA built, and duty was 9.5%.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-13-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

We just bought a power boat in Canada and brought it into the states. It was a piece of cake, but you need to make sure the broker fills out the proper paperwork. There is a requirement regarding delivery that says you have to have someone deliver the boat to a customs port of entry. Our broker had the owner turn the boat over to us once it was in US waters (we brought the boat home in the water). We also did not use a customs broker and filled out all the forms about the engines, etc, ourselves which saved app. $1000. PM me with any questions.
Faster likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

The Following User Says Thank You to jrd22 For This Useful Post:
Faster (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013
Thanks Courtney.

Thanks! This boat is a private listing w/o broker (bad news) Good news is that its in Windsor, ON so port entry should be right across the river in Detroit. Could sail it home from there.
Old 11-13-2013
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
We just bought a power boat in Canada and brought it into the states. It was a piece of cake, but you need to make sure the broker fills out the proper paperwork. There is a requirement regarding delivery that says you have to have someone deliver the boat to a customs port of entry. Our broker had the owner turn the boat over to us once it was in US waters (we brought the boat home in the water). We also did not use a customs broker and filled out all the forms about the engines, etc, ourselves which saved app. $1000. PM me with any questions.
Was there an import duty?
Old 11-14-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

No duty because of NAFTA (if the boat was built in North America there is no duty despite what it seems to say on the US Customs site). I can look through our paperwork and let you know what forms were used if you get serious.

Edit: without a Canadian broker it might be worth it to use a customs broker.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 11-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-14-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Howdy:

So.. I've done this twice now. The first time, in 2009? I imported my Canadian-built boat from Vancouver, BC to Washington state. I didn't use a customs broker. The biggest problem I had was getting my $US converted to $Can... Everybody wanted to take a couple of percent for the transaction, and I didn't want to pay that. The Canadian escrow company handled the currency exchange for me for a nominal fee. That was much appreciated.

The way it worked was that the paperwork was all handled by the buying and selling broker and the escrow company. When I arrived in the U.S., the customs folks came down and I filled out some paperwork, and paid the nominal fees for the transfer. (You need exact change).. the whole thing took about 30 minutes. .. Easy

That being said, I helped a friend bring his newly-purchased 1D35 from Vancouver BC to Washington state. He thinks that the escrow company did the currency exchange as well. He did use a customs broker, though. He was told by the selling broker that the law had changed and that a customs broker was required. I surfed around a bit to see if that was the case, and could find no evidence that was true. I didn't have much confidence in the (different) selling broker in this case. The experience with the customs officers on this boat was essentially the same.. Took about 30 minutes. Easy.

Since Windsor is so close (To those not familiar with local geography, Windsor is actually south of Detroit).. I'd be inclined to try it without a customs broker. If you get turned away, then you could always sail back to Windsor and try again... Getting kind of late in the year, though...

I know that my boat transfer officially took place at sea, although the previous owner wasn't present. This avoids Canadian taxes.

As others have indicated above, if the boat is Canadian or U.S., there is no duty, due to NAFTA.

I'd be happy to dig up any detailed information you'd like.

Oh.. and this better be a sailboat we're talking about here...
Faster likes this.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 11-14-2013 at 01:08 PM.