Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2013

Drtsr1 is on a distinguished road
Question Hunter 460 or Passage 42 ? Which to buy

Looking on buying Hunter - 1991 Passage 42' or as 2000 460, is there any concern in reference to ability of Bluewater and Costal sailing, etc.

Both boats meet my live aboard requirements.

Both boats look to be well maintained with all the records.

The Passage did have a small hole in the hull that was professionally repaired. (I know how it occurred)

I would like to here all your comments......Please
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter 460 or Passage 42 ? Which to buy

As a previous 1991 P42 owner, I am a tad partial to that boat. The build quality will be better than the 2000, but neither will be a bluewater boat with out some updates. In particular some protection for the huge salon windows.

Coastal sailing a piece of cake for either boat. I would opt for shallow draft and low mast so you can get down the ICW.

Look for moisture on both boats, especially around the hatches and stanchions. Engine room is tight with genny and fridge and batteries on the P42, and access to engine and cockpit drains through hulls is a nightmare. Holding tanks should (or will need) to have been replaced by now on the P42, similar story for the water tanks. A real chore, but can be a DIY if you have the skills. Expensive other wise, as it is manual labor intensive.

Aft lazarette drains need to be cleaned every week or replaced with larger drains, else the water will end up around the aft cabin pedestal bed frame. I never did find where the water was coming from beneath the pillow end of the bed....more than once did I have to vacuum a lot of water from the compartment between the steering quadrant and the inside of the stern glass.

Lot's of updates here if you need more specifics. But that almost queen size aft berth is the best sleeping I have ever had on land or afloat.

Last edited by kd3pc; 11-14-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Passage has one of the nicest aft cabins for anchored liveaboard life.

The 460 will sail rings around the passage unless it has the crappy inmast main.
Old 11-14-2013

Thank you for taking time to reply, you are the second one to have told me the same thing about quality. The other passage had the drains replaced because the pipes get bent thus reducing the drainage.

Last edited by Drtsr1; 11-14-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Passage has one of the nicest aft cabins for anchored liveaboard life.

The 460 will sail rings around the passage unless it has the crappy inmast main.
You mentioned the in-mast main. What is the problem with it.... The boat I am looking at has an in-mast main..
Old 11-14-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

An inmast main sail will not have any battens so will not 'set' as well as a sail with battens. This means less drive and it will not sail as close to the wind.

Also inmast can jam it often does this with most of the sail still out. You have to learn the idiosyncrasies of your system.

Personally I much prefer slab reefing. Less to go wrong and I stand a chance of fixing it on passage if it does. I am 66 and single hand a 44 ft cutter on open ocean passages.
Old 11-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
An inmast main sail will not have any battens so will not 'set' as well as a sail with battens. This means less drive and it will not sail as close to the wind.

Also inmast can jam it often does this with most of the sail still out. You have to learn the idiosyncrasies of your system.

Personally I much prefer slab reefing. Less to go wrong and I stand a chance of fixing it on passage if it does. I am 66 and single hand a 44 ft cutter on open ocean passages.
Thank you
Old 11-17-2013

scottbr is on a distinguished road

Model information, also click on owner reviews for lots of good info.

Hunter 42

Hunter 460

For every 1 person that will bash the in mast furler, you'll find thousands that successfully use the system on a regular basis.

You will also get a lot of good info from the Hunter Big Boat forum

Also some good discussion on inmast http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...69#post1073669

Last edited by scottbr; 11-17-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2013

Fllcatsailor is on a distinguished road

I recently sold a Hunter 460 to some clients, and was very pleasantly surprised by the boat. The owners did a very good job maintaining the boat, and she showed like a much newer boat.
Old 11-20-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

I don't like hunters but if i were buying a hunter i would definitely go for one of the cherubini designed ones, you may want to look at one of the 37's if you can find one thats been refit, they are generally believed to be the best hunters and have the most stoutly constructed hulls, that being said i have never payed much attention to hunters I can say i have been on a hunter 380 on a lengthy cruise, in which we ended up sailing through rough weather including a few waterspouts and It was very poorly constructed, and the cabinetry was simply glued to the hull so at one point something that was attached to the port cabinetry i cant remember if it was a shelf or a cabinet came adrift, if the 460 is similarly constructed i would urge you to consider the passage. I think for coastal cruising though any boat will do it really depends on if you like the boat, but for blue water build quality becomes much more important.

Tags
460 , hunter , passage