Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004

stykman is on a distinguished road
Shannon''''s

Am kind of set on buying a Shannon 38 as a cruiser/liveaboard. From my research have determined that they meet the most criteria in my long list of items that constitute the proverbial "perfect boat" for me. Looking for any input about this brand from those who have been "in the game" , so to speak, for longer. Also looking for a recommendation for a good marina/boat yard on the west coast that can set up boat after shipping from east coast and possibly do some repairs/upgrades. Any input, good or bad will be greatly appreciated...Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Shannon''''s

Styk:

Shannon 38''s were a very high end/well built boat at the time they were introduced, altho'' you will notice that the design is more traditional and with more modest proportions (and accommodations) than you will find in today''s marketplace (at, it must be added, today''s prices).

There recently have been several articles in CW written by the owner of LUCY, a Shannon 38 we met in G''town, Great Exuma before heading out into the Caribbean. He would be a good source of follow-up info as they sailed to the Med on their boat before selling it...so he has prospective, experience and no longer any vested interest. He can be found via the web or via CW after you find the articles; the last one was in a Spring issue and was titled something like Offshore Checklist or Last 12 Days Checklist.

You''ll find a lot of boatyard info in the articles in Latitude 38, a free mag available at most WM stores around the country and, of course, everywhere in CA.

Jack
Old 10-18-2004

spartinaSC is on a distinguished road
Shannon''''s

One of the nicest Shannon 38 that we have ever come across has been listed with Dave Walters[Fort Lauderdale] the contact there is Scott Duncombe. This boat is a must see for any serious buyer. Good luck
Heidi
Old 10-18-2004

spartinaSC is on a distinguished road
Shannon''''s

One of the nicest Shannon 38 that we have ever come across has been listed with Dave Walters[Fort Lauderdale] the contact there is Scott Duncombe. This boat is a must see for any serious buyer. Good luck
Heidi
Old 10-19-2004

Shannon''''s

...and let''s note that Dave Walters was one of the two principals in the original Shannon company. He would be an excellent source of information and perspective on any available Shannon 38.

Jack
Old 10-20-2004

russeasby is on a distinguished road
Shannon''''s

I looked at a shannon 38 in annapolis last weekend. It was definately a worn out boat and needs a good bit of work. But the price cannot be beat, was asking $75K, which is penuts for a Shannon. If your the type who is willing to take on a project boat I think this boat with some money and sweat dumped into her would clean up very nicely and end up more valuebul then the purchase price and cash put in put together. I passed on the boat myself because I am looking for something in more turn key condition.
Old 11-01-2004

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
Shannon''''s

We buddy boated with a Shannon 38 down from the USA to the Carribean. They seem to need a lot of upkeep as many of the classic boats do. They sailed well as many boats do.
Any boat will get you there............
Old 11-02-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Shannon''''s

Does anyone know...Did Shannon also sell hulls/decks for home completion?
Old 11-03-2004

Shannon''''s

To my knowledge, not while Dave Walters was involved with the company. I would suspect they have never done that, given that it would conflict with their position in the market.

Jack