Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Never Buy a New Hanse

I never cease to be amazed at how these kinds of discussions tend to run. The last time I looked, Hanse had a pretty extensive warranty. When someone says that a rudder is split, I would need more information before drawing any conclusions.

After all, rudders split for all kinds of reasons, but when the split on a less than 1 year old boat, in the absense of clear evidence of a collision with an object then a manufacturing defect would certainly be one very strong possibility. If that is the case then I certainly see the OP's point.

But from the initial post, it seems to me there is inadequate information for any of us to reach a firm conclusion. Pictures or a descrition of the investigation method would go a long way towards making or refuting the case that the OP seems to be presenting.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankschicketanz View Post
Save yourself any aggravation by not buying a new Hanse. We bought a Hanse 400 last year and had it delivered from Germany to Portugal. After being in the marina for 11 months, we had it taken out of the water to have the bottom cleaned before our cruise into the Mediterranean. A 12-inch crack was discovered on the rudder--a clear case of warranty, right? Not from Hanse's point of view. They refused to pay for the 1000-euro repair, along with approximately another 1000 euroes' worth of repairs on the voyage which should have been covered by the warranty. This is a company that values the bottom line over customer satisfaction, an attitude that permeates the company all the way to the CEO, whom I emailed.
Some clarifications are needed here:

The boat was delivered by truck by Hanse himself through a dealer or you paid someone to sail the boat to Portugal?

The boat was in the marina 11 months without sailing?

Normally it is the dealer that takes charge of that type of claims (even if the factory is involved). Where do you have bought the boat and what was the attitude of the dealer towards that?

Finally did you buy the boat at discount price? The Hanse 400 is not in production and it has been substituted by the 415 two years ago.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-18-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2013

Frankschicketanz is on a distinguished road

We did send pictures of the cracked rudder to Hanse and would do it here too, but the server won't let us, or we don't know how.
We did not crack the rudder because we didn't even sail it before the damage was detected. It just sat in the marina for 11 months.
The problem with the delivery was that it was done by the German dealer Südost Yachting, which has since gone out of business. That of course complicates matters. The fact is that SOY represented Hanse and since I cannot collect from a bankrupt company, Hanse should pay, at least they should if customer satisfaction mattered to them.
I am not flaming, just warning potential buyers. I wish someone had warned me. There have been so many complaints about Hanse in the Iberian peninsula, that boat yards will not bill them, even in obvious warranty matters and their representative in Portimao has quit on them.
I am not saying their boats are inherently bad, just that they need an administrative shake-up and puts people in charge who treat customers as well after the sale as they do before it. Perhaps it is indicative of their organization that their customer sales representative is just called "after sales" representative.
I appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Pretty disingenuous to come on the forum, bad-mouth Hanse up and down and then admit that the damage could have been caused by a delivery skipper.
Old 11-18-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Who doesn't sail their brand new boat for 11 months and then pulls it out of the water to get the bottom cleaned...? Sorry, sounds fishy.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 11-18-2013

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Pretty disingenuous to come on the forum, bad-mouth Hanse up and down and then admit that the damage could have been caused by a delivery skipper.
There are some weak points in the OP story. We need to see pics. And so on.

BUT it is nowhere stated that any delivery skipper has been involved. Easiest and fastest way to transport Hanse or SüdOst Whatever (SüdOst Germany combined with sailing? OK, I admit, this is also an assumption) is by truck.

Paulo asked some very good questions. There is something in that area that doesn't smell well. It is clear warranty has gone, boat is simply too old. Boat was ~1 year old (at least) at the date of delivery.

Hanse cannot be blamed for SüdOst Yachting actions.

Dear OP, may I propose you either present your case in full, or forget about it all? Actually, I would recommend the latter, as:
1) Sailnet is not very powerful against boat manufacturers.
2) Presenting your case in full will be time & energy consuming for you. Not fun at all.
3) badmouthing / flaming /xx Hanse also backlash at yourself, and also the value of your boat.
4) €1000 is not insignificant money, but still just a part of the annual boat budget for a rather new 40 ft. If finally you have to pay for it yourself, OK, do so and go on with your sailing life. Your boat is a nice boat. enjoy it instead of focus on one issue.

/J
Old 11-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaramaz View Post
BUT it is nowhere stated that any delivery skipper has been involved. Easiest and fastest way to transport Hanse or SüdOst Whatever (SüdOst Germany combined with sailing? OK, I admit, this is also an assumption) is by truck.
You are correct. I assumed that the boat was delivered by sea, not land. If I was wrong in this assumption, I apologize to the OP.
Old 11-20-2013

turban10 is on a distinguished road

Frankschicketanz,

Did Hanse give you any reason for declining your warranty claim? Please give us some additional information on this rudder issue.
Since there are two sides to any story, it is difficult for people to get up in arms against the manufacturer without the facts.
Old 11-20-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Have you posted your story and problems on the Hanse forum?

400 - myHanse - Hanse Yachts Owners Forum - Page 1

Lot's of owners there. It would be interesting to new what is their view on this.

Old 11-21-2013

Frankschicketanz is on a distinguished road

The ceo of Hanse, Dr. Gerhardt wrote me and told me that my boat left the yard "tadellos", meaning flawless and anything that happened after it left the yard does not concern him. When I made him aware that Toyota, General Motors and Ford among others had to have cars recalled because some problems first become apparent after delivery and use, he said to leave him alone - discussion over. I just wonder how a company like Hanse in such a competitive market can treat its customers with such distain and distrust. If the ceo of a company claims its product is flawless it seems to make a mockery of the concept of a warranty!
I must say, I do not understand some of the comments here. If I really ran the boat aground and damaged the rudder, why would I "rant" against Hanse? And if it was the bankrupt German dealer who damaged the rudder during delivery, am I wrong to assume that Hanse should bear responsibility, since I cannot collect from a company that no longer exists?

Tags
hanse , new boat purchase advice